• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

World's largest single-egg omelette?

I thought about sticking this in the cookery thread. And it would have needed a chicken coop the size of a Russian oligarch's London pied a terre!

'A three-metre-tall ostrich-like creature that weighed almost a tonne has been awarded the title of the world’s largest bird. Vorombe titan, which literally means “big bird” in Malagasy and Greek, is an extinct flightless bird which was once widespread on Madagascar. It survived on a vegetarian diet. By studying hundreds of elephant bird bones from museums around the world, researchers at the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) have now provided a definitive answer to decades of conflicting evidence over which winged creature was truly the world’s largest. They found that V titan was a distinct species of the feathered elephant bird weighing up to 860 kg.'

Vegetarian elephant bird weighing almost a tonne named world’s largest

we've all done a bird weighing around a tonne.

I love the fact that the article states that one egg would be enough to feed an entire family.
"One of their giant eggs could have fed an entire family, although there is no evidence of direct nest raiding. "
Then when you watch the video, it shows an egg and states it is 150 times bigger than that of a chicken. It is therefore either a very large family, or they are going to be pretty bunged up for a few weeks.

I love the fact that the article states that one egg would be enough to feed an entire family.
"One of their giant eggs could have fed an entire family, although there is no evidence of direct nest raiding. "
Then when you watch the video, it shows an egg and states it is 150 times bigger than that of a chicken. It is therefore either a very large family,
Or Americans - doggy bag anyone?