World's Greatest Free Climb?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Kevin Jorgesen and Tommy Caldwell have just finished the free climb of El Capitan in the Yosemites. For sheer "because it's there syndrome" it takes a lot to beat.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/14/yosemite-rock-climbers-dawn-wall-el-capitan
Two climbers in California’s Yosemite national park made history on Wednesday, reaching the summit of what has been called the world’s hardest rock climb.

After weeks of herculean effort, Kevin Jorgeson, 30, and Tommy Caldwell, 36, scaled the half-mile section of exposed granite known as the Dawn Wall on El Capitan peak.

Pictures here:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...alifornias-yosemite-national-park-in-pictures
e29e4549-1df3-4ff8-ae33-ac04f4df79cc-1020x612.jpeg

That's 3,000 feet with handholds you can just cling onto with with your fingertips. Spiderman, eat your heart out.

Wordsmith

Edited to add: they climbed without any aids - they were roped only to help them if they fell.

Last edited:

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
An outstanding feat of nerve and endurance.

The Mrs has been watching this for the last week, its their third attempt at it.
El Cap itself has been climbed by many, but this route is particularly difficult due to the rock face structure - meaning that they probably climbed 4-5 times the 900mtr vertical just by traversing, so 30 pitches becomes well over a 100, all very technical.
Without any doubt the worlds greatest freeclimb.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Edited to add: they climbed without any aids - they were roped only to help them if they fell.

Apparently, they did, several times! Utmost respect to them, I wouldn't even like to sleep on one of those platform things!

Anyone with any doubts about the kind of strength you need for that sort of carry on should watch one minute of this - it's almost superhuman.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
An outstanding feat of nerve and endurance.
I'm just amazed that people can think about doing things like this let alone do them! I get dizzy sat on my armchair watching. And how the hell did they put them tents up?

Saw this on the news last night. The cliff face is so sharp that part of their reason for stopping and resting for several days was to allow their fingers to heal. Good effort!

I'm just amazed that people can think about doing things like this let alone do them! I get dizzy sat on my armchair watching. And how the hell did they put them tents up?
Tents are a bit like a stretcher which is secured with various safety to the face. It can be open or a "tent" can be fitted on top. The whole lot is put in a thing like an old army kit bag, and hauled up behind.

3000ft vertical face? Should be good for a base jump.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
who was that mad French chap who used to free climb he was on another level.my hands are sweating just thinking what he did.

http://www.alainrobert.com/

????????? (My bold)
Interests : Climbing
Sites : Cliffs, buildings
Qualifications : Climbing instructor

Distinguishing marks : Disability : 66%, Suffers from vertigo

A climber that suffers from vertigo. Am I missing something?

Wordsmith

Latest Threads