World War Z

For all you zombie fans, I've just been listening to the excellent talking book adaptation of Max Brooks World War Z. It tells the story by means of individual interviews with a variety of survivors of the aftermath of a global undead epidemic and is truly superb. The cast includes Alan Alda, Jurgen Prochnow, Mark Hamill and Henry Rollins and each gives a convicing account of their involvement. The US infantryman recounting his experience of the battle of Yonkers, the 'Little big horn' of the zombie war is particularly convincing and sounds familiar on a number of levels and the interview with the Englishman who lived out the war in Windsor Castle after the Queen opens all royal residences as sanctuaries as long as those seeking refuge contribute to their defence is fantastic, drawing comparisons with the queen refusing to abandon her people by fleeing to safety on the Isle of Man and remaining as a figurehead on the front line to that of her mother doing the same in the Blitz. I've also seen concept art of the Battle of Yonkers for the planned film adaptation of WWZ and it looks incredible so hopefully they'll continue in the same vein and not make a total balls of it and yet again ruin something I love. If you're into talking books, or just need something to fill a bit of time (for me me weekly journies to Aldershot from Cornwall and back again, the A303 has never seemed to pass so pleasantly), give this a go, even if you're not a fan of the zombie/horror genre you won't be disappointed.

Good recommend Piran, loving the Zombie stuff :)

Some of the fake trailers made, are really very good. Not overly sure about who is supposed to be making it, maybe I'm the only person singularly unimpressed with Babylon 5? Get Joss on the case :)

Funnily enough finished rereading it yeterday - it's a corker of a book. Didn't know they were making a film of it - fingers crossed it will do this masterpiece justice.

Great book,dont be tempted to buy any of the David Wellington series though-Monster Island,Monster Nation and Monster Planet where the Zombies are portrayed as thinking characters,just detarcts from the whole Zombie notion of mindless,shuffling,brain eating things.

Sparky2339 said:
Last year I read an interesting book; World War 2.1

Set in the future and at the Battle of Midway, but not about zombies.
I picked the second book of this trilogy up at the airport a bit ago, had to track down parts 1 and 3, all in all a good story.

ZappBrannigan said:
Great book,dont be tempted to buy any of the David Wellington series though-Monster Island,Monster Nation and Monster Planet where the Zombies are portrayed as thinking characters,just detarcts from the whole Zombie notion of mindless,shuffling,brain eating things.
Have to disagree, excellent series.

I was a bit bored of the run of the mill "plague, dead rise, get sh1t load of guns, run to safe house, defend against horde, win, live happily ever after" books.

This series postulates out that it's those that currently live hand to mouth and were born into a war torn environment would be the natural survivors eg North African tribal bands rather than North American suburban commandos.

Interesting concept of a few thinking zombies resulting from situations where the brain 'survives' the dying process.

A bit 'new age' in parts, but hey, overall a very well thought out and written series.

I'm pretty certain the first one is available as a free on-line ebook thingy - see if I can dig out a link.

Getting back to WWZ, excellent book that I hope would translate well to fillum, but after the remake of 'Day of the Dead' I'm not holding my breath....

Try the "plague of the dead" series by ZA Rechts. books 1 and 2 are out and the 3rd is being wrote now. Good story. But WW Z started me off reading about zombies.

Agree with whats been said, read it a while ago and definitely left a mark on me.

What I liked was the realism, sounds weird considering its a story about zombies. The way Max (son of Mel) Brooks considers some of the lesser considered concepts of the undead, like swarms of undead wandering around the ocean floor popping up on beaches every now and then and the expectation this will happen for years, soldiers getting hostile responses from communities they save because they originally deserted them, the changes in military practice and weaponry as conventional "wounding" weaponry is pointless on the undead and the mental effect on the people (Quislings, Z Shock)

I especially liked the 2 battles, the disaster of Yonkers, cheering at proximity in effect fire mission only to discover that instead of the walking undead, you had crawling and stumbling undead and comments about why they had to dig in tanks and wear helmets and body armour. And then the success of Hope where they form line and engage single shot not unlike Waterloo etc.

Also it was very refreshing to read an American book that over half of it isn't in America at all.

Heard about the film, I understand its stalling slightly but still planned, the general idea is following the author (big concern the studio suits had was lack of a lead character) travelling the world and conducting interviews. Personally, if it was left to me, I would make it a mini series played out as a story, but have interviews with elderly men and women at the beginning and end pretty much the same as Band of Brothers and make out that the show is fictional but the interviews are real.

Bought this book on Saturday after reading the comments posted here.
I'm not a fan of horror/zombie books, but so far I've been really impressed with this book.
Very addictive reading.
Only half way through it yet, but agree that so far it's a great read.

Not a fan of the Zombie genre, but I've bought a copy since my brother ARRSEr's seem to rate it so highly. I'll get to it after I've finished the latest Skinner novel... :)

Latest Threads