World War One films

Ever wonder why there aren't that many WW1 films?

I mean, conflict like that had never been seen or encountered before and lets face it, it changed the world overnight.

Why hasn't there been that many films about it?

I can think of only a few:

Lawrence of Arabia
All Quiet on the Western Front
Regeneration (from the Pat Barker book)

I'm sure theres more but still....I reckon WW2 has way over-shadowed WW1 in terms of filmmaking .

Death watch
Legends of the Fall
A very long engagment
Flyboys
Biggles
Paths of glory
Blue max
The lost Battalion

They should make some more British ww1 films ive had enough of Americans and French.

Gallipoli
The Light Horsemen
Von Richtofen and Brown
Original All Quiet, the French Company attack seen from behind the Maxim is harrowing
Aces High
Wings
Dawn Patrol

Bagloads of WW1 documetary stuff, they didn't all walk Thunderbirds stylee, some film is excellent.

Yeah I just think though that they are never as 'hyped' as the WW2 films, i.e., Pearl Harbour, Saving Private Ryan etc etc.

I mean, even the social implications of WW1 were enormous, i.e., for the gentry it was one of the first times they lived and breathed with the working classes en masse, and very high profile people died.

It grates me when so many young people don't know much about these conflicts.

Bigdumps said:
Yeah I just think though that they are never as 'hyped' as the WW2 films, i.e., Pearl Harbour, Saving Private Ryan etc etc.

I mean, even the social implications of WW1 were enormous, i.e., for the gentry it was one of the first times they lived and breathed with the working classes en masse, and very high profile people died.

It grates me when so many young people don't know much about these conflicts.
Yes, you get the "its not relevant" rubbish - when actually it moved this country forward socially as the class barrier was broken. Moved us onward and upward to the place we are now.......erm

Aces high was pretty hyped. Gallipoli was Gibson shyte and should be stricken from the record.

I think WWI was too harrowing and too much of a "senseless slaughter" at times - the wounds after the war ran very deep indeed. Then the real rise of depciting war in film came around after WWII anyway so the most relevant audience and experience was based around WWII.

Don't forget "Up the Front" with Frankie Howerd and "All the Kings men" with David Jason.

The latter being very good.

Most WW1 films seem to be a bit pump.

Check out "The price of freedom" on Youtube. Previews on there with the finished film to be presented to the British Legion and premiered in Birmingham I think, plus I'm in it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuhRsLj6VZ0

General Melchett said:
Most WW1 films are a bit rubbish.
Yes, especially ssome of the ones already mentioned.

Honestly, both Biggles and Legends of the Fall were such steaming piles of plop that no-one in their right mind would consider them to be war films.

What about "The Monocled Mutineer" not in the least historically accurate but a cracking film/mini-series all the same.

Darling Lili
Zeppelin
What Price Glory ?

I vaguely remember The Monocled Mutineer, though here in the USA it was broadcast as "Mutiny in the Trenches" way back in 1990 or so.

Ok, what film was this ?

Our hero is trapped onboard a zeppelin and to escape, he cuts away some of the gas-bags, ties himself to them, and then floats back down to earth to be reunited with his girl and to receive a medal.

That's the best I can do - it has been at least twenty some years since I saw it last.

Oh, it was in colour and I'm guessing it was released in the 1960s.

No, in Zepplin, York is on the Zep that crashes into the sea off Holland.

More films;

Road to Glory (Frederick March)
Les Criox de Bois
Westfront 1918
Journey's End (the BBC TV version)

Aces High was "Journey's End" rewritten as RFC

If any film should be stricken from the list, IMHO that should be "Death Watch", it was a third rate horror flick set in mud - I've flushed better.

W

Latest Threads