World War One films

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Bigdumps, Jul 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ever wonder why there aren't that many WW1 films?

I mean, conflict like that had never been seen or encountered before and lets face it, it changed the world overnight.

Why hasn't there been that many films about it?

I can think of only a few:

Lawrence of Arabia
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Regeneration (from the Pat Barker book)

I'm sure theres more but still....I reckon WW2 has way over-shadowed WW1 in terms of filmmaking .

2. Death watch
    Legends of the Fall
    A very long engagment
    Flyboys
    Biggles
    Paths of glory
    Blue max
    The lost Battalion

They should make some more British ww1 films ive had enough of Americans and French.

3. The Trench.

4. The WW1 parts of The Indiana Jones Chronicles are good.

5. Keeper of the Bees
    Joyeux Noel
    Against the Wind
    Journey's End

6. Gallipoli
    The Light Horsemen
    Von Richtofen and Brown
    Original All Quiet, the French Company attack seen from behind the Maxim is harrowing
    Aces High
    Wings
    Dawn Patrol

Bagloads of WW1 documetary stuff, they didn't all walk Thunderbirds stylee, some film is excellent.

7. Yeah I just think though that they are never as 'hyped' as the WW2 films, i.e., Pearl Harbour, Saving Private Ryan etc etc.

I mean, even the social implications of WW1 were enormous, i.e., for the gentry it was one of the first times they lived and breathed with the working classes en masse, and very high profile people died.

It grates me when so many young people don't know much about these conflicts.

8. Yes, you get the "its not relevant" rubbish - when actually it moved this country forward socially as the class barrier was broken. Moved us onward and upward to the place we are now.......erm

9. "Oh, What a Lovely War". A grim musical satire/allegory of the First World War.

10. Has no one mentioned the accurate retelling of Sjt Alvin York as played by Gary Cooper.

11. Aces high was pretty hyped. Gallipoli was Gibson shyte and should be stricken from the record.

I think WWI was too harrowing and too much of a "senseless slaughter" at times - the wounds after the war ran very deep indeed. Then the real rise of depciting war in film came around after WWII anyway so the most relevant audience and experience was based around WWII.

12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Don't forget "Up the Front" with Frankie Howerd and "All the Kings men" with David Jason.

The latter being very good.

Most WW1 films seem to be a bit pump.

Check out "The price of freedom" on Youtube. Previews on there with the finished film to be presented to the British Legion and premiered in Birmingham I think, plus I'm in it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuhRsLj6VZ0

13. Yes, especially ssome of the ones already mentioned.

Honestly, both Biggles and Legends of the Fall were such steaming piles of plop that no-one in their right mind would consider them to be war films.

What about "The Monocled Mutineer" not in the least historically accurate but a cracking film/mini-series all the same.

14. My Boy Jack - about Kinpling's son. A surprisingly decent flick.

15. Darling Lili
    Zeppelin
    What Price Glory ?