World War One - Colourised Photos, Excellent

I some weeks ago posted a link to a gallery of photos on the subject of the river patrols in Vietnam, Off the same site I have just found this gallery of colourised photos of the "Great" war. Some of them stir a few emotions it must be said, however that being obvious to us on here I hope you all find them to be a fantastic representation of the not just the tragedy of war but the fact that however horrific, the human spirit does not waiver.

RM

WW1 In colour

Excellent photos, most of which I’ve not seen before. What’s the AFV in image 52, labelled ‘Supply’?

Excellent photos, most of which I’ve not seen before. What’s the AFV in image 52, labelled ‘Supply’?
It's the Gun Carrier Mk1.

Gun Carrier Mk.I (1917)

Excellent post by the way, some of the photos are quite jarring as I'm familiar with the originals and seeing them in colour is an eye opener.

On pic 35 what is the strange respirator setup the soldier on the left, in particular the weird 'glasses'(?), anyone know?

They're Russians, the bloke on the left is wearing an early face veil mask with separate goggles. The bloke on the right is wearing on of these.

Equally interesting, the rifles are Winchester action underlevers. Indeed, the Russkies bought lots of that sort of thing before the war.

Very interesting indeed. Some of those are new to me. A great find!

Latest Threads