World War II’s Strangest Battle

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by alib, May 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the Daily Beast World War II’s Strangest Battle: When Americans and Germans Fought Together
    Very strange.

2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Several instances in places such as Syria where Allies, including Free French, were fighting Vichy French.

3. Equally strange was the Christmas truce of 1914.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not really. There's many records of truces throughout history. The French and British troops in the Napoleonic Wars even exchanged mail for friends they could no longer contact directly (ie British troops with friends in France could give mail to French sentries who would post it on and vice versa).

Making war over Christmas was probably stranger until the early 20th century.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

5. Many years ago I either read or heard this about the Christmas Truce and just had to write it down ....

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Then you need to read Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck (or else google the string to the left of these brackets and check out his Wikipedia entry which recalls:

On 8 November (1942) Luck received two additional recce battalions in support, and continued operations to ensure the safety of the Afrikakorps southern flank. During the next days there were frequent encounters with British patrols seeking alternative paths to outflank the Germans. On one occasion Luck, facing the Royal Dragoons regiment, received a radio transmission from the British asking about the well being of a British patrol gone missing. Luck confirmed that the men had been captured, and were in fine form. After this a regular 5 pm cease fire was established, and the two sides swapped information about men captured and their conditions.[10]

His autobiography goes on to relate how a German patrol broke this cease fire and captured a British truck. In order to appease the Royal Dragoons and maintain the cease fire, Luck ordered (something like: it's been a while since I read it) that the captured British truck be left out along with a German truck so that a British patrol might recover it and the status quo will be maintained.

• Like Like x 2
  7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

He also became a great friend of John Howard (Ox and Bucks) and the pair of them used to conduct Staff College Normandy Battlefield tours. HvL used to teach the Staff College his defence in the face of Op Goodwood as the DS solution for Defence in Depth (so I am told).

9. As I recall the Brits rearmed Japanese troops to assist in keeping order in some of the recaptured far East countries. Certainly a lot of German functionaries continued in office after the allies arrived to maintain the status quo, unlike Iraq where the existing civil structures were disbanded and chaos reigned(s). Needs must where the devil drives.

During the Warsaw uprising the partisans would cease fire while the Wermacht wiped out SS patrols before resuming the original firefight. That was in 'Reign of hell' by historian S.Hassel, so it must be true.

• Like Like x 3
  10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The British, under a major whose name escapes me, re-armed Japanese troops in what was French Indo China in order to hunt down the Viet Minh , who in turn had been fighting the nipponese. When the Viet minh refused to surrender their arms, the Japanese were enlisted to find them. Thus the British effectively started the war in Vietnam. Kind of.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2
  11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

surely any battle where the french (let alone two teams of french) fought and didnt surrender first is pretty strange! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Like Verdun?

• Like Like x 2
  13. "...Austrian resistance fighters". Eh? Further evidence of the massive con pulled by the Austrians, getting themselves declared as 'liberated', rather than 'occupied' and rather airbrushing the inconvenient truth that the Nazis enjoyed even wider popular support in Austria than in the original Reich.

• Like Like x 10
  14. Same bollocks as Nazi Germany being liberated, Germany and Austria fought the war not Nazi Germany.

15. I have been told that in 1945 German guards were re-armed to keep order among Polish forced labourers/PW in Norway until they were processed - my source was a former Polish officer who had been part of the SHAEF team sent to Norway to deal with Polish captives.