World War 2 - USAAF Flying Boots

Bad CO

Admin
A friend of mine was recently diving on a B-24 which ditched in 1944 in the Adriatic with the loss of most of the crew. In the debris field they came across a boot which had 'King's Size 11' on it and we've been trying to find out a bit more about it.

I've discovered that the Kings Manufacturing Company Inc were based in New York and seem to have made flying clothing up until the late 1980s but can't find any sign of them making boots or being active during WW2.

Anyway, I know that there are some impressively knowledgeable/geeky people on here so was hoping you may be able to assist!

Sounds like a question for Aviation Hysteria & Neuralgia on PPRuNe....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I misread the thread title and expected to read about Catalinas and various Grummans.

A friend of mine was recently diving on a B-24 which ditched in 1944 in the Adriatic with the loss of most of the crew. In the debris field they came across a boot which had 'King's Size 11' on it and we've been trying to find out a bit more about it.

I've discovered that the Kings Manufacturing Company Inc were based in New York and seem to have made flying clothing up until the late 1980s but can't find any sign of them making boots or being active during WW2.

Anyway, I know that there are some impressively knowledgeable/geeky people on here so was hoping you may be able to assist!
Hopefully not a war grave?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

do you have a photograph ? I know some aircrew wore shoes that closed up at the front with four buckles, and could retain an electric insole for cold weather and some are like this design of boot

1630706651191.png

"TulsAmerican" B-24J 42-51430 3 men killed-
pilot 1Lt. Eugene Ford O-805804
flight engineer T/SGT Charles E. Priest 38189197
navigator 1Lt.Russell C. Landry O-719208

Bad CO

Admin
The boot wasn't found on the Tuslamerican or the famous Vis B-17 (B-17 G 44-6630 ) both of which I've dived.

This is me by the inboard port engine/cockpit of the Tulsamerican. If you look carefully in the bottom of the picture you can see fabric. I believe this was later identified as a parachute and it was in this area that osseous humain remains were located which were subsequently identified as being 1st Lt Eugene P. Ford.

1630742560555.png

This is me on the B-17 from which the remains of 2nd Lt. Ernest N. Vienneau were recently recovered.

1630742417257.png

For those who aren't aware, the sea off Vis contains a significant number (20+?) of mainly US WW2 bombers many of which haven't been found or identified.

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
The boot wasn't found on the Tuslamerican or the famous Vis B-17 (B-17 G 44-6630 ) both of which I've dived.

This is me by the inboard port engine/cockpit of the Tulsamerican. If you look carefully in the bottom of the picture you can see fabric. I believe this was later identified as a parachute and it was in this area that osseous humain remains were located which were subsequently identified as being 1st Lt Eugene P. Ford.

View attachment 601631

This is me on the B-17 from which the remains of 2nd Lt. Ernest N. Vienneau were recently recovered.

View attachment 601630

For those who aren't aware, the sea off Vis contains a significant number (20+?) of mainly US WW2 bombers many of which haven't been found or identified.

Are you able to provide any info on the dive profile? Depth, deco, bottom time, etc?

Last time I went diving on wartime aircraft wrecks was in the Solomon Islands in 2006.

Bad CO

Admin
Obviously diving on
Are you able to provide any info on the dive profile? Depth, deco, bottom time, etc?

Last time I went diving on wartime aircraft wrecks was in the Solomon Islands in 2006.

The Tulsamerican is in about 40m but the B-17 lies in about 70m. This was the profile from one of the two dives I did on B-17 G 44-6630.

I was diving on an AP Inspiration CCR using 10/50 trimix as the diluent with two 11 litre bailout cylinders containing 18/46 and 50% respectively. We left bottom at about 34 mins for a total run time of 2 hrs 38 mins using gradient factors of 50/80.

One of the nice things about this dive is that it is very close to the coast so the decompression can be done with something to look at!

1630744630958.png

During this trip in 2019 we also dived another B-24 in 90 m and a B-17F in 100m. The profile below and picture is from the B-17F. Diluent for this one was 9/75 trimix and we left the bottom after 20 mins!

1630744772417.png

1630744852823.png

Bad Smell

Old-Salt
Excellent, thanks for that.

This is a book from Schiffer in the US that may provide further info on US WW2 flying clothing. schifferbooks.com

1630757615576.png

syrup

LE
The Boots would be A5 or A6 type boots and would likely be made by loads of different companies

Bristolite U.S. Rubber and Hood seem to be three manufacturers of them

Only Bristolite has actual sizes all the other seem to work on small medium or Large

here are pictures of the boots with RAF Stock numbers on also could some have been made for the RAF or could they have been picked up by crews training in America?
These might have shoe sizes on that we know as opposed to S/M/L.

Try these guys they might be able to help

Latest Threads