World War 2 Campaign Medal

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Faustic, Sep 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.

Just looking for some advice regarding the WW2 campaign medal.

I have recently recieved a WW2 campaign ribbon supposedly belonging to my grandad who served during world war 2.
    From what I have heard, he was never involved in any direct combat; he was part of the RAF at the time and trained pilots, never doing any combat operations.

Due to the fact that he was not involved in any combat, I was wondering if this was the reason why it is only a ribbon that I have recieved (grandma recently died, it was found in her belongings), or it is just that the medallion part has been lost.

Thanks in advance :)

2. He will have been awarded The War Medal 1939-1945. If you've only got the ribbon then the medal has been lost. He could have also qualified for The Defence Medal.

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

4. Thankyou both for your replies, it has helped alot.

Yes the ribbon I have is the War Service Medal 1939-1945. I will go about obtaining myself the medal for it ASAP :)

As for the defence medal, I will look into that more deeply.

Thanks very much again :)

5. Faustic, try getting in touch with the RAF or veterans association to get your Grandad's military record. I did it recently and they sent out his medals as he had never claimed them.