World War 1 Trenches Diary - Publishing Help

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by eSeL, Feb 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Saturday there, my uncle brought me to meet his father-in-law for the first time. He'd been telling me about him, that he was a collector of military history, that museums come to him for his knowledge, and that he was interested to meet me and hear first-hand how it is now.

Anyhow, we had a few glasses of whiskey and I got to look around his impressive collection (he has books spanning the history of most formed regiments, plus many various capbadges, shoulder flashes, brigade/div insignias etc all neatly mounted), but the most impressive part of his collection is his father's medals, pictures, a mounted round that had been stuck in his father's knapsack, his certificate for bravery and most importantly, his diary.

His father served with the 14th (YCV) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (5 platoon B Coy) from 1914 - 1917, and listed a chronology of his time served in the line; this includes such places like Passchendale, Ypres, Messines to name a few. His original diary includes sketches and other such things, but in 1961 he re-wrote his diary so that it's more legible. I've been given the diary to read, but I think as a historical document, it should be shared with others.

My question is, who would you approach to get this published?
  2. PM sent
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Interesting idea eSel.

I've been trying (slowly) to type my grandfathers diary (1941 - 19??, North Africa til just before El Alamein, then a POW), made dificult as after he was captured as a POW he wrote in Welsh.

I also (well my Grandmother does) have his letters home and some of the items he made whilst a POW (made for fun and competitions).

Someday I'll get them all in one place and a softcopy made of them, I might even put them on the interweb, but never thought about publishing them....would there be an interest?

4. You should get into Cardiff with that, I'm sure that the National Museum, and the South Wales Echo are interested in that sort of stuff, the fact that it is in Welsh only adds to the historic value, I bet the Regimental museum would love to hear from you