World Cup: John Paintsil as a "Mossad agent"

mora

War Hero
Many were surprised and pleased when a player for the Ghanaian soccer team waved an Israeli flag during World Cup victory celebrations.

Others were surprised and not happy at all. Today the Ghana Football Association issued an abject apology to the world.

John Pentsil waving an Israeli flag, which he'd kept hidden in his shoe, to celebrate the goals scored by Ghana against the Czech Republic at the World Cup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5707964

WUERZBURG, Germany (AP) - Ghana’s Football Association on Monday apologized after Israel-based defender John Pantsil pulled out an Israeli flag during celebrations for Saturday’s 2-0 victory over the Czech Republic.

“It was an action out of naivety and we apologize to anyone who was offended. It will never happen again,” Ghana FA spokesman Randy Abbey said. “He was obviously unaware of the implications of what he did ... He’s extremely popular in Israel and he wanted to thank the fans who traveled to see him play,” Abbey said.

Pantsil, 25, plays for Hapoel Tel Aviv. He pulled out a small Israeli flag during a goal celebration at Cologne Stadium.

Abbey said that there had been complaints to the Ghana FA but did not elaborate.

“We’re not here for politics ... We don’t support Israel or Arab nations ... It was unfortunate that the player was ignorant about the political situation.” Abbey added: “But he has apologized to us and I think the matter should end there.”
Egyptian reactions to John Pantsil's action :'Paintsil a Mossad agent'

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3264964,00.html

Fury in Egypt over Ghana's Israeli flag waver

Egyptians furious with Ghana defender, who plays for Israeli team, after he waved Israeli flag during his national team's World Cup match. Newspapers speculate Paintsil is Mossad agent
AFP

Ghana defender John Paintsil's waving of an Israeli flag to celebrate his team's World Cup goals drew a barrage of insults and furious reactions in Egyptian newspapers.

Paintsil, who plays for Israeli club Hapoel Tel Aviv, celebrated the two goals in Ghana's 2-0 win over the Czech Republic by pulling an Israeli flag out of his sock and waving it at the cameras.

"The ignorant and stupid Paintsil, who spent 20 days in Egypt during the last African Nations Cup, plays for Hapoel," sports commentator Alaa Sadek wrote in the daily Al-Akhbar, explaining to baffled Egyptian audiences Painstil's link to Israel.

"Egyptians supported the Ghanaian team all the way until the 82nd minute, and regretted it after the Israeli flag (waving)," screamed a bold red headline in the independent daily Al-Masry al-Yom Monday.

"As soon as the referee blew his whistle to start the match, Egyptians were out enthusiastically, almost hysterically supporting Ghana, until defender John Paintsil took out the Israeli flag," read the paper's front page article.

The live commentator on the Arab satellite channel broadcasting all World Cup matches in the region abruptly cut short his trademark "goooaaaaaaal" when Paintsil brought out the flag.

"What are you doing, man?" the bewildered commentator said.

'Paintsil a Mossad agent'

The main question on Egyptian lips after the match was "why?"

Some papers described Paintsil as a "Mossad agent", others said "an Israeli had paid him to do it" but the most elaborate theory was offered by the top-selling state-owned daily Al-Ahram.

"The real reason," sports analyst Hassan el-Mestekawi wrote, stems from the fact that many Ghanaian players go through football training camps set up by an Israeli coach who "discovered the treasure of African talent, and abused the poverty of the continent's children" with the ultimate goal of selling them off to European clubs.

"The training program for these children starts every morning with a salute to the Israeli flag," Mestekawi claimed.

FIFA said they had taken note of the flag-waving and that although there was nothing in the rules to prevent it, they hoped not to see a repetition.

Egyptian sensitivity 'when it comes to Israel'

Egyptian football fans who were out supporting Ghana on Saturday's match were equally rattled when the player took out the Israeli flag and dubbed him "the Israghani" (Israeli-Ghanaian).

"We were totally supporting Ghana and we were so excited by how well they were doing," Ashraf al-Berri, who watched the match with a dozen friends told AFP.

"We were screaming with joy, but the whole room went quiet when Paintsil took out the flag. We didn't really know how to react," he said.

"As an Egyptian I am very sensitive when it comes to Israel," Osama Mohy, who watched the match at a friend's house, told AFP.

"If Mido scores, would he wave the england flag? and if he did everyone would hate him for it," he said referring to Egyptian striker Mido (Ahmed Hossam) who plays for England's Tottenham Hotspurs.

African champions Egypt failed to qualify for the World Cup finals.

"The live commentator on the Arab satellite channel broadcasting all World Cup matches in the region abruptly cut short his trademark "goooaaaaaaal" when Paintsil brought out the flag.

"What are you doing, man?" the bewildered commentator said.

'Paintsil a Mossad agent'

The main question on Egyptian lips after the match was "why?"

Some papers described Paintsil as a "Mossad agent", others said "an Israeli had paid him to do it" but the most elaborate theory was offered by the top-selling state-owned daily Al-Ahram."

This seriously reads like a parody. No wonder Israel is so far ahead of these idiots.

Would have been less fuss if he'd waved a swastika FFS. I read the above excerpts and agree that the political and media reaction was totaly barking. I'm also pretty sure there were some BBC executives screeching in true Guardian reader chattering class style horror at this "crime".
No doubt Paintsill will end up in a ditch like Colombian defender Escobar in 94 (?) - except he was topped for scoring an own goal, poor sod.

mora

War Hero
Reactions to the Israeli flag waving

sardonic comment from independently minded Egyptian blogger Big Pharoah.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

4 Ghana players waved the Israeli flag when their team beat the Czech republic yesterday. The players play in Israeli clubs.

Unfortunately, I didn't watch this game at my club. I would have loved to see how people reacted when the israeli flag sudenly appeared across the screen. Seeing how people react to things is one of the things I really love to do no matter what this thing is. Anyway, I went to Al Arabiya website and found that they mentioned this story. Below are few comments people left there. Hilarious!! Some of them are actually saying the Mossad paid these players to do so.

"Really, the Ghana team does not deserve to go to round two and this Israeli flag waving proves that Ghanians are hollow people."

"I`d like to tell everyone of you wandering why Ghana raised the Israelian flag, It`s simply because three of their players play in the Isarailian league (Sammy Adjei, Emmanuel Pappoe and John Pantsil) and they probably have the Israelian nationality beside their Ghanian`s. We Arabs should feel annoyed as none of the african players playing for our teams raised any of the arabian flags in the worldcup like those players of Ghana who felt who much the Israilian league helped them to keep up the good performance that made them win today" (BP: That's a very sane comment. Well done)
Now to my favorite comment:

"I ask every Arab and Muslim who has zeal for his religion to boycott all kinds of Ghanaian products even if they were necessary for the daily life" (BP: ummm, can you name me 1 Ghanaian product??)

"What do we call this behavior? Why didn't they riase the flag of their country instead?"

"I don't understand the wisdom behind raising the Israeli flag. What a weird thing."

"The Ghana team lost many of those Arab supporters who were rooting for them. That was very agitating and turned the feeling of goodwill to resentment."

"We saw a number of Ghana players bowing down in thanks to God. So we can't put all players in one box. Only those in the picture are responsible for this behavior."

"This action is being paid for by Western countries to an African country. It's aim is to make Iranians and all Muslims surprised." (BP: I am on the floor laughting)

"Everything can be bought by money, Israel is very rich"

"I was rooting for Ghana in this group. But after what they did, God willing Italy and the Czech Republic will go to round two. As for the USA and Ghana, they better go to their homes."

"They are free to raise the Israeli flag or any other flag they wish to raise. The Arab world wants to create a problem from anything."

"Of course this is the Israeli lobby"

"What if they riased an Arab flag..would you be welcoming this??"

"Please God, strike the hand that raised this flag with paralysis."

"arab and muslims peaple you are so funny. because such small things like that, each one of you start writing a comment about it . there is no problem when they do that, they are free. when you will going to learn what the freedm is . ghana it is a african country not an arab , so as i said they are free. just enjoy the soccer and you have two arab teams in the tournament and thats all" (BP: that comment was in English, I posted as it is)

"Of course Israeli pays to anyone who makes its existence legitimate and brandishes its name it in the world cup. This money is paid to poor countries because Israel feels it's illegitimate and so it must appear among the nations."

N.B. I have a question. Whom will we root for in the next match: Ghana or the USA?? By the way, all you Americans out there, congrats for the supurb performance of the American team yesterday with Italy. The way they kept their composure after the second player was ejected was amazing. I think FOOTBALL (and not soccer ) will definitely gain ground in the US.

read more http://www.bigpharaoh.com/2006/06/18/reactions-to-the-israeli-flag-waving/

mora

War Hero
From a British Muslim site

http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-news-0404.html

BOYCOTT ISRAEL CAMPAIGN

Israeli Embassy feels isolated

www.inminds.co.uk
July 2003

If the Israeli Embassy (London) website is anything to go by then Israel is really feeling isolated in the world.

The Israeli Embassy proudly trumpeted the launch of its new website recently (http://london.mfa.gov.il). Its front page is splashed with a photo of Israeli footballer Eyal Berkovic in West Ham kit embarrassing the British crowd by waving an Israeli flag.

The photo is ancient - at least 4 years old - Berkovic no longer even plays for West Ham - his last game was in 1999. For the embassy to dredge up such an old photo the cultural boycott of Israel must really be hurting...ouch!

"Berk.. if you're gonna pull out a zionist flag from your underwear during a West Ham game then at least have the decency to burn it!"
Btw, this same pic dacorated also the British Embassy in Israel site.