World Cup Football - is it just acting?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Oneshot, Jun 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having watched the England game, I will be the first to admit i am more partial to rugby and thus doen't see much football, but.....

Why do the players (England included) seem to spend most of the time grasping a "horrific" injury everytime someone goes even vaguely close to them?
    And how come the referees all seem to be inconsistent with their decisions, what constituted a yellow card in one instance, was not remarked upon when (IMHO) the play was far more dangerous!

Am i missing something or is it just a bunch of (well paid) puffs?

Insight anyone?

OS

2. No, you're spot on.

3. got it in one I would say, some academy award performances today

4. Ha! That makes me laugh. I watched the game yesterday and nearly gagged when i saw this paraguayan player fling himself to the ground at being tackled, and then, not knowing quite what part of him was supposed to have been injured, watched him rolling around on the floor grabbing the bottom of his poorly football boot. I mean, i know these boots are pretty expenisve, but do they feel pain? Even if they do they have a remarkable ability to recover because as soon as said chap realised that no one was taking the blindest bit of notice he hopped up and legged it after the ball again. It makes a mockery of game quite frankly, and god knows what they were thinking when they assigned a South American ref to a game with a South American team.

5. And ...... duh!!! ....... wouldn't it be a tad tricky to ensure that the ref was from a different continent to either team?!

6. Regarding my last post, I must confess to being totally out of my depth on this and would be grateful for some advice on the policy of refs from the same continent as either of the teams. My post was a knee-jerk reaction, based on the guess that most of the teams and refs were european. But the list of refs below (I apologise for layout) makes me wonder. Humble apologies.

The 23 referees for the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany.
    FAMILY NAME
    FIRST NAME
    COUNTRY.

ABD EL FATAH
    Essam
    Egypt

AMARILLA
    Carlos
    Paraguay

ARCHUNDIA
    Benito
    Mexico

BATRES
    Carlos
    Guatemala

BUSACCA
    Massimo
    Switzerland

CODIJA
    Coffi
    Benin

DE BLEECKERE
    Frank
    Belgium

DE SANTIS
    Massimo
    Italy

ELIZONDO
    Horacio
    Argentina

IVANOV
    Valentin
    Russia

KAMIKAWA
    Toru
    Japan

LARRIONDA
    Jorge
    Uruguay

MAIDIN
    Shamsul
    Singapore

MEJUTO GONZALEZ
    Manuel
    Spain

MERK
    Markus
    Germany

MICHEL
    Lubos
    Slovakia

POLL
    Graham
    England

POULAT
    Eric
    France

PRENDERGAST
    Peter
    Jamaica

RUIZ
    Oscar
    Colombia

SHIELD
    Mark
    Australia

SIMON
    Carlos
    Brazil

VASSARAS
    Kyros
    Greece

7. My thoughts were why not an Eastern referee, Japanese perhaps? It just didn't make sense, and I'm by no means the only one who thinks this. 3 yellow cards to England players? Silly. Anyway, I hate fooltball, only watched it cos my boss wanted to and we all had to seeing as we were at work.

8. A bunch of overpaid goons :x

9. i don't think they are overpaid really....i mean the money they make individually is tens of millions (beckham gerrad ect)....it wouldn't be fair paying them 5.50 an hour would it!

10. This is a wah...right? 8O

11. A rugby fan so a quick query.

The world cup is all about finding out who the best team in the world is, right?

Why do we bother - I thought this was established 4 years ago!

(coat...)

12. To be fair to them, they are paid what the clubs will give them. If someone turned round to me and said "Here you go Oneshot, please do this job which you obviously like and as compensation please take this £1m per month salery to make it easier for you. I hope you will do it!"

Hmmm, i know what i would do, obvioulsy "Oh no, thanks for the offer but Id prefer to do the job for a more socailly acceptable salery, how does 40k sound, still a bit on the high side, but then I am good!!"

No really i would!

13. I'm an ex-rugby player turned football hooligan - you should try it - it's bloody fun. Being a turncoat probably arises from being an ex-pat: Any excuse to go bananas, drink, shout and yell ENGLAND is always welcome... sadly, I've been waiting for this competition for months... I've done the training, know all the names... and people don't say duuuhhh! at me any more when I spout about a game I've never played.

As for the injuries... it's part of the game... you're right of course, but if they don't yell, the game just carries on around them and their own side suffers. I think it strated in South America.

The pay is obscene - I wouldn't turn it down for a second.

The Refs (bunch of tossers(part of being a hooligan - or ruligan as we're called in DK)) have different standards on different continents and all referee a different style of football at home. What gets to me is when they get it blatantly wrong and it costs a team.

14. your all right in saying the pay is huge...but to be honest if the players didn't get the money, fat men in suits would have it

but IMO...they could just put the prices on the gate down....make it more affordable....

but as long as people pay 40 quid to watch a game...they will charge it

15. The pay is far too much, it is a p1ss take. Especially when you realise that that salery is being paid for by the takings of the club shop, turn stiles and pay per view... ie us. There should be some caps on the salery.

As for being paid to represent England. No. They should do it for the pride. When that scroat (ferdinand?) was being investigated for drugs and they all decided to go on strike I know what I would have done. Right you can all do one, and we'll select a team that will play with pride.

As for dives, etc. The ref should be allowed to send a player off to the med bay for say 10 mins recuperation, if he thinks that the "injury" sustained warrents it. Can't allow "horrifically" injured players to carry on as if nothing as happened can we?

Top and bottom of it, football (esp at this level) sucks. There is no integrity in the players, who would kill their own gran to win (see maradona repeatedly claiming it wasn't a hand ball until after the match), they dive all the time and the players are all arrses (see rooney, fowls, gets a yellow promptly claps like some petulant child cue red card).

Many people I know believe the ladies matches are far more entertaining, for the skill aswell.