World at War - episode 9 - Stalingrad

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by björn, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. read the book by Beevor, gives it to you in full detail
  2. Excellent book by Beevor. Probably the best book of its kind. Highly recommended.
    The World at War series is excellent too. Got the DVD.
  3. Certainly does. Read it also. Outstanding author. His book on Berlin and his most recent on the Spanish Civil War are both as compelling.
  4. The thing about the Stalingrad book was the way he desribes the utter misery of the Germans towards the end. So atmospheric, you could feel yourself there freezing and starving to death. Superb writer.

Anyone who wants to read any book on WW2, read this one. It is an easy read because of the style of the writer so don't be afraid of a dry and boring read, (unlike autobiographies of retired generals). It is a page turner and leads you through one of the great battles of WW2.
  5. Totally agree. Would be interesting to know the Russian perspective (in Stalingrad and indeed in general), as I don't recall the topic being that well covered in English. Does anyone know of a decent book in that regard?
  6. Vassily Grossmans a Writer at war is pretty good, its a compilation of his reports and notes from the eastern front covering almost all the major battles.
  7. Thanks. I'll give a try!
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The whole WAW series is on you tube, I got Ugly Junior Mk2 watching it in readiness for his History GCSE!
    I watched it when it first came out and we didnt have colour telly!
  9. Wow, imagine having to watch all that WWII b/w footage in b/w! 8O

Made sure you always had a shilling for the meter then? :lol:

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No they used to interview people in colour, remember the ones in East End pubs where the old folk were talking about the Blitz?
    I was also (no wah) using the B&W telly comment to date how old the series was although in my mind it was and is brilliant, better than all of this revisionist "shouldnt have nuked the nips" crap thats taught at schools now!
    What was funny in a way was that it took 30 years to produce a series about the war in this depth as if it was a dirty secret to be hidden for that long!
  11. Its a great series, a friend of mine works at the History Channel and she keeps me in a constant stream of unclaimed competition prizes, so I got the DVD boxset with the whole series and extras, wicked! Its great for the student of military history as one of the DVDs has uncut interviews with people like Mark Clark and Lord Mountbatten. Its all about Lawrence Oliviers narration though, now he can do accents! 'Alone', 'Inside the Reich''The Desert War' and 'Morning' are my favourite episodes...
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There was if I recall a lot of fuss made about the Choice of narrator and war records but it has stood the test of time and is a classic.
  13. Try this book Island Of Fire by Ive both books, bloody excellent expensive yes, but way way worth it, tells you in minute detail about Stalingrad, and the Island of Fire explains it down to the number of grenades carried!!!!
  14. You can also get the great war series on you tube im unable to access it from work so can get a linky but some searching should pull it up