Worksafe Theme

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The Army Research Service worksafe theme is now online. Members can choose this by going to My Stuff -> Change Site Colours, or here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Your_Account/edit=prefs.html

A know issue is that the forum category titles change to a dark not very helpful colour in IE6 when you hover the mouse over them. I'm going to leave that fix until we churn out version 2 at some point.

For those that don't know what this theme is, it's a much lighter version of the site with avatar pictures and user signatures removed. More suitable for use at work or perhaps with your kids around.

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Excellent! My favourite theme returns. Also seems to be much quicker as I don't have to wait for sig blocks/avatars, etc to download ....

3. Thanks for all the effort put in to this GCO (and BCO too, I'm sure).

WRT to the worksafe theme, please can we remove the picture from the front page. It's hard to pretend that I'm doing something constructive when I have a picture of a gimpy on my screen. :D

Also, the alternating background colour makes it fairly obvious that this is a forum. One colour background on this theme perhaps?

PB

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Re the front page: I want to limit the difference between the themes as much as possible as any significant changes cause headaches. Also I don't expect users to sit looking at the front page for extended periods of time, particularly now the last posts are much better dealt with elsewhere. Why not just link to them or the forums? I do think this is something where a few seconds of 'self help' could fix the problem.

Forums is a fair point and I assume that means black border between posts should also go? Anyone else have an opinion on that? Better differentiation and usability or more covert? Rank images also for the chop?

5. Are you implying ... ?
    Well, you could be right. ;)

Your site, your call, but from my point of view the 'preview' at the bottom of the screen on this theme would be a good template.

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I've no objection at all to more white, but I am concerned that if I do it I will get cries to reverse it. You just need to hand in a petition of at least 1000 signatures :)

We could go really extreme and low graphics of the forums - almost like the print views, but with nicer fonts. I'll go with the majority view from Worksafe users.

(by the way the feedback is appreciated - I thought no-one had even noticed it!)

7. The plainer the better for me - I vote for white.

8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Roger. Anyone third that and I'll crack it right away?

9. Hi Good CO/Bad CO

As far as I’m concerned the site is looking good, so well done.

Colours etc are subjective, it’s your train set, therefore your shout.

Just a couple of points,
    1. Will we be able to go to worksafe without logging on at some stage?
    2. I’m sure we used to be able to cut/lift text directly from the page, will that option be reinstated?

Cheers

4-8

10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Good point. I'll add it to the header as an icon, but won't me able to put it in the menu which is a shame.

This is only a problem in IE6 I believe(?) and can be overcome by going to the print version of any page. It's fairly minor stuff therefore for users who:

a. Use IE6. b. need to copy in the first place. c. Don't try the print layout.

Therefore while on the wish list it is not urgent and I'm going to have to move on from the theme and leave it until version 2.

11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks to 4-8-Alpha to pointing out the theme switching while not logged in issue. Now sorted quite neatly (I think).

It does always take you back to the front page when you use it - a slight inconvenience for the sake of simplicity, but I think we can live with that:

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Much lighter and also topic lists don't have the green borders any more - how's that?

13. Looks good to me boss.

Working on the weekend? You must be in the TA ;)

Many thanks.