Workington (Percys) Footbridge

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by scribes, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wanted to say a hearfelt thanks to the boys and girls putting the hours in to build the bridge. Should be open to the public tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hurrah for the CRE,

Well done to all involved

3. It looks good, well done guys!

4. Well done & good to see

5. I wonder if it'll still be there in 40 years?
    The Langwathby one is still in use and was put there in 1969...

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Footbridge?

How long before the local farmer tries to get his John Deere over it? ;)

Good effort. How close is that to the max single span out of interest?

7. There's more on that bridge here.

8. ISTR that there was a Bailey bridge in use in Aylesford until the late '90s that had been erected shortly after WWII. They do build 'em tough...

9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

There is a similar one between Gilwern and Crickhowell, used regularly and looks in good nick.

10. A fine looking bridge. Good for the REs.

Scribes, I do hope you got permission from the police and all the security services to take those photos. :)

11. Flooded town united by new bridge

A Cumbrian town split in half by floods which killed a police officer and forced hundreds to flee their homes has been re-united with a new footbridge.
    Workington's new Barker Crossing, built by the Army, is named after Pc Bill Barker who died when nearby Northside Bridge collapsed.
    He had been trying to clear people from the unstable bridge at the height of the floods on 20 November.
    Schoolchildren were the first to cross the temporary bridge at 0805 GMT.
    Video
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8398538.stm

12. I'm not bridge spotter, but that seems to be a fine example of a span accross water if ever I saw one!

13. Maximum length of a Maybe-Johnson bridge is 61 metres, if I recall correctly (it's been a decade since I built one!), though this can be extended as much as you like with the use of piers or pontoon supports. Barker Bridge is 52 metres apparently, so pretty close to the max.

Just as an aside on the naming of bridges: in '98 we built a footbridge in Bosnia, complete with name plaque (as is usual) and named it in honour of a lad who had been injured earlier in the tour. Turned out, however, that the lad's name meant 'forbidden' in Arabic as used in Islamic law. Not a good choice for a heavily Muslim area. Doh!

14. How heavy is Bailey decking? Ive only used LSB and MGOB. Im curious if its light enough to be lifted by pikeys and thrown in the back of a transit.

15. It's a Mabey Johnson bridge. And nothing's too heavy to steal...