Working with WALTS.................

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by kangaroopoint, Sep 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all ex servicemen and women.....Im the usual story of doing a few years in the armed forces and then getting out into civvy street.I work in the private security industry (yes,i know we all said we would never do it while we were in),but we all have bills to pay and its reality..
    Im ex-army and my first job was given to me by an ex-royal marine to who showed me proffesional courtesy when i was just an ex soldier on the dss.Im still grateful.
    However the last few years i have come to realise that apart from the occasional calm sensible ex serviceman or woman who are proffesional and enjoyable to work with,i also seem to have met nothing else but hundreds of civvy fantasists,backstabbers,deadbeats,wannabe macho men and walter mittys of the highest order.
    People who think looking hard or having a two week 2 bob certificate in "bodyguarding" from some clueless firm makes them the dogs bollocks.Iv even met guys with nunchucks or who brought fake weapons to work?..very sad!
    In fact the industry seems to be seething with them!..and i wouldnt trust any of them as iv never met so many snakes.
    I know its not exactly the most glamourous job out there but iv tried airline,corporate,industrial and theft prevention ( and and i dont fancy doing any PMC work as its abit to risky and the companies dont have the back up that the forces did,) but do any ladies and gentlemen out there know of any civilian firms that tend to employ more of the ex-forces types and have a good reputation.
    Sorry for the cynicism but surely im not the only one who thinks this and it would be good to hear others humourous experiences on walts at the least for a laugh.
    Any advice or tips on firms here or abroad would be be appreciated
    Best of luck to all because as my old sargeant major said...its cold out there in civvy street...he was bloody right i hate to say.
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I work with a guy called Walt, nice chap actually, fit missus too.
  3. What about the Corps of Commissionaires? They have a very smart uniform and don't take any nonsense from anyone.
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Good call, their founder was none other than Captain Sir Edward Walter.

Gen dit.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've seen some very smartly dressed chaps doing the doors at the Passport Office. I reckon they're the real deal, and they've got ties and everything.
  6. Ha! One of those rude blighters had the audacity to beckon me over in a most surly manner. To cap it all he was some form of colonial with curious teeth. Furthermore he had no reply to my request that he stepped smartly over if he had something to say to me. My passport was delayed too.
  7. I attended the passport office two months ago to get a new passport before departing for Peru and was served by a stunning Chinese girl who spoke perfect English. I had wood all afternoon. Sorry if that doesn't help. Why not become a PCSO and add a little reality to a comedy organisation?
  8. Since leaving the forces and in between jobs or moon lighting I have worked with a number of different security companies.

I found the large national companies attract the least motivated work shy merchant bankers, alledgely I been on shifts with Major Generals from 'insert' any African Country of your choice, the first 25 men on the balcony, a 'paratrooper' who jumped into Port Stanley prior to the Argies invading to lead the FIDF!, ETC ETC.

I found the smaller in house companies attracts more motivated and professional indiviuals normally genuine ex forces who are what they say they are/were, yes a bit of billy bullsh8tting at times and wind ups etc but very sound, the WALTS do not normally pass probation etc.

If you are looking for interesting security work get yourself involved with the companies doing the security for F1 racing teams, not the renta uniforms on the circuit gates, but the indiviuals who tour with the teams etc.

One company based in Switziland/France called All Sports Management (used/still?) do the security for the F1 Paddock Club and used exFFL as the main players and when at Silverstone, Prison Officers to make the numbers up.

I found the Corps Of Commisionaires good to work for and their training package was far superior than the other nationals.

The Royal British Legion also has a security company.

Good luck with your choices.
  9. The ones at Lunar House in Croydon used to wear stab proof vests!
    Not sure if they still do or not, but then it is Croydon after all!!!!
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

That's me knackered then I don't wear a tie!
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, it's true. Petty France passport office. Reckon that if you go 'boo' at them, they'll smile politely, still looking very much the smart gentlemen, before slashing your head clean off with one of them curved knife thingies, though god knows where they hide them in those suits of theirs, what, with their well-pressed ties and everyfing.