Working with Civil Servants

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by LongJohnSilver, Dec 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, have any of you ever come accross a Civil Servant at work or otherwise, with no military experience what so ever, pulling the "im equivalent to a WO2, Capt etc". I have and it really grips my s**t, this one even pulled out a Civil Service directive giving the equivalent ranks to Civil Service Grades and Mess Status, is there any Regulation out there that you know of that I can quote back. :x :x
  2. "Fuck off you self opinionated piece of shit" usually works.
  3. I had a run in about 8 years ago with one of wearing an M&S pin stripe number with a superman tie. He just mooched into my office and said he was going into see my commader for a 5 minute chat. I tried to explain that the Col had the COS in his office and they weren't going to be finished for another hour, and that I would call him once they had finished (correct response etc).

He Said, "Do you know who I am?"
    I said,"No"
    He said, "I am from budgets and have the equiv rank of a Capt!"
    I said (losing rag), "Don't give a monkeys, he's still in with the COS and I'm still not saluting you!"

Said CS stormed off. I got dragged in by Civ Sec (another wannabe) and given a right dressing down (yawn!). There are a few good ones out there, but they are few and far between. 'Ya can't work wiv em....and could definitely work wivout em!' :wink:
  4. If it's any consolation to you, I'm a former WO2, now a civil servant of the sort of grade you're on about and I still get treated in a similar fashion by one or two cnuts, aware of my former rank, with delusions of grandeur...

The "equivalencies" are only for accommodation/messing purposes and to give Service personnel some idea of the level at which we work.

My advice would be to maintain a "polite" attitude, as only a Serviceman knows how to in such circumstances and if they tell you to call 'em "Sir", ask to see their Commission or their Warrant!

I suppose I'm lucky in that the majority of my civvy colleagues are former military and I actually served with many of my uniformed ones. It's just some of the "genuine" civvies that have this attitude problem and you'll note that most of them are fcukin' walts!

Keep smiling! :wink:

5. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've had to use this one a couple of times when they've insisted on using my rank instead of my name and it usually works pretty fast - the one who has insisted that such things were irrelevant was told to gtf pretty quickly by the assorted types in green (SSgt-Maj) in the room. Strangely enough, hasn't been raised since!

To be fair, the vast majority of the CS that I work with know that I (and the other Army types) slot into their hierarchy, not the other way round. They don't get excited about who is equivalent to what in military terms but who does what/what post they hold in the organisation - makes life a lot easier.
  6. This is an area that I hate. On promotion to the Mess my RCM explained that this was a club that you could not buy yourself into, you had to earn it the hard way. Now we get Civil Service Tw*ts trying to just walk in as if they owned the place. The good news is the GSM hates them and throws them out.
  7. Just ask if you can compare Pay statements, you will be pleasantly surprised.
  8. Their pay might be tosh mate, but quite a few of them are ex serving and they've got a pension to support it. If you're out in BFG, the buggers get free housing (Officers Quarters) for the first 5 years, cut price fuel and light and all the same tax free benefits as you.

You night find in some cases, that although their pay is less than yours, their total income isn't and at the end of the month they're not paying for some of the stuff which you are.
  9. Know what you are saying, but I am in UK got a whole load of em, not an ex squaddie in sight, some good, some bad mind you add their wages to my pension (projected) and I would be laughing!!
  10. I ust wouldn't do it over here. HAve a look at the MoD website and see what they demand for the peanuts they pay.

Germany, fair enough, nice place, great perks, but not in the UK.
  11. I must admit I was tempted by a job I saw. The MOD were advertising for a psychology graduate (I was looking at the types of jobs I can apply for when I graduate in 18 months).

The job entailed designing a study to research the effects of stress on Royal Marine recruits in training, and also something to do with submarines - which involved time away at sea.

Oh, this looks interesting, I thought. Until I saw the pay was about 16K a year .
  12. This has been thrashed about on ARRSE before quite a few times, usually when someone has been in contact with a jumped up cs spouting on about he's a C2 equivalent to a Maj, blah, blah.

The above are jumped up little f*ck-wits, who are for some strange reason, on some kind of power trip, more to the point, these type are most definately NOT ex serving.

I've been lucky & the majority that I've worked with have been ex SNCO's/WO's & therefore have nothing to prove. :wink:

Makes me laugh when I hear of one of these sad little cs's jumping up & down with a stiffy in his pants demanding to be called sir!! :p

Don't forget though, there's going to a shed load of them strutting about with war stories due to the high demand for more of them on the Support To Operations Programme (S2O). :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a cs basher, good & bad in all walks of life.
  13. Crickey Guys (I've wanted to use that word crickey for ages) where do you lot work/base/live etc. I have been out nearly 4 years now and have never heard a cs ask to be called sir once. (I am at my second training
  14. Worked all over the place with both CS and Mil, good blokes and some knobbers on both sides of the fence, and I've never heard or seen a Civi do the call me Sir or I'm equivilent to ......... bit either.
    Another urban myth along with 'I knocked out this subbie in .......' ?
  15. well ive just started work with a civilian and dont know how to proceed, been told to work like in the army "get along" but its hard with someone who effectivly has higher backing, after a brush in with him, i really dont know what to do