Working Time Directive(WTD)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by black_taxi, Jun 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the advent of the "Working time Directive, which if I 've got it right means that you will be restricted to working 48 hrs per week in your main job , does anyone know how this will effect The T.A. > I know that HGV drivers are restricted on the amount of driving ,if any, they can do over the weekends, due to drivers hours regs, does this spell the end for the now renamed ,revamped, remodelled , regurgitated REserve Forces
    Scouse g
  2. Surely the armed forces have an exemption, 48 hours would mean a regular soldier could only work for two days.
  3. if they were working solidly for 2 days without rest then yes.
    obviously the Military are exempt from the WTD when on ops.
  4. What about exercises?
  5. dunno mate, no time between tours to go on exercise!! :wink:
  6. If I remember correctly the WTD exemptions for the forces cover Ops and training for Ops - and that's it. Normal training is not included.

And yes it does apply to the TA , so the hours you work at the weekend should be included. Don't know who does though mind.

And it most certainly does apply to drivers hours - that's probably the most important one as it's the one you're most likely to be prosecuted for.
  7. Believe you can "opt out" of the WTD by volunteering to work extra hours.

The WTD does apply to military service as pointed out by OOTS. You can take breaches to an ET after initiating a redress as with sex/race discrimination.
  8. WTD is optional for employee's of UK business and govt' etc. The TA pay you = every tuesday counts to your weekly hourly limit, more likely than not - no-one will raise any issue.
  9. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

As said above, you can individually opt out. My compnay has lots of employees who routinely work 60 hrs/week - they all sign a piece of paper to say they want to do this.

Don't think it's an issue - after all anyone who doesn't want a 40 hr plus week isn't going to be joining the TA are they......
  10. yeah , Cheers for the input just thought it might make an interesting topic
  11. dosent apply its not a job its a hobby :lol:
  12. Dont say that woody, it upsets the regs. They dont like that the career they take so seriously is merely seen as a hobby by those of us in the real world.

13. msr

msr LE

But as we all know, it's not a hobby, it's a cult...

14. Cult vrs hobbie ? an intresting argurment . Wierd clothes weird behaviour
    weirder beliefs maybe we are a cult does that mean we can get charitable status ?
  15. There is a UK opt out from the European Working Time Directive that prescribes that you can volunteer to work more hours. In my experience many employers hand you the waiver along with the contract and leave no doubt at all that the job is conditional on the waiver. Three volunteers please - you, you and you!