Working in United States and getting Veterans perks.

Discussion in 'US' started by CH512O, Apr 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Soon to leave the Army after 25yrs. Possible job oppurtunity in a US dependent territory location. Also working with US military on their bases. Now I know ill get a Contractor ID but is there a possibility of getting a Veterans Card while im out there? Of course the job may fall through but I thought I would do some prep work.
  2. Sadly, I doubt it.
  3. Veterans cards will require evidence of US military service.

    UK service doesn't count. But what do you want it for?

    Many US federal, state and commercial entities will recognise UK service in numerous ways but its informal, and depends a bit on discretion.

    I have had discounts in many places the same as US military, but I don't push it. In my state they recognised my mil service for concealed carry permit, saving me a few $ on a course, but they don't have to by letter if the law.

    Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. We don't have Veterans cards. You either have a retired Military ID card which does allow access to bases and perks or a veterans affairs medical card which wont get you in the front door of a US Base.
  5. I have my old MOD 90 - the picture looks like my much younger brother nowadays - it has helped get me into some military/police only events.

    It got me 10% discount at Home Depot (thats like B&Q) for about a year till they discontinued the scheme because the Canadians were taking the piss.

    To get into any US military installation it has to be an installation that allows visitors anyway, I need my greencard, driving licence and passport.

    It got me to the front of the queue at the airport a couple of times.

    Yes I do carry it sometimes - normally when travelling. A bloke I knew was doing dodgy military things way back and he told me to always carry something that identified you as a British Govt employee 'cos if you got in the shit, it looked like you worked for the govt they would have to dig you out of it. Aded to which, in the US they set lots of store on military service

    Was'nt worth a toss when I applied for my concealed carry permit - I still had to do the Noddy Club course.

    If you want to come to America for a while, train as a bricky or plasterer. They are both lost skills here.
  6. All I got back from over the pond was that he'd get civilian I.D. Card and not a military one.
    I'm not sure what is meant by a "Veterans Card".
    He-she would be welcome in any VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) or American Legion as I am. The only requirement is to be able to give and take the odd abuse (verbal) as is a requirement around the world that get's us by in the military world.
  7. That's essentially true. Retirees of any branch of the military service are granted a retired military ID card which allows access to all the usual benefits and perks available to the serviceman on base. I have one of these.

    Contractor ID cards allow access to the base of the person identified on it so that he or she may do their job, but it doesn't grant access to any facilities like the PX or commissary.

    The Department of Veterans Affairs issues an ID card to veterans enrolled in the VA heath care system but it won't help you get on base at any US installation. Its use is limited solely to the VA medical centers and clinics. You might call it a sort of NHS ID card. I have one of these cards too.
  8. Cheers for replies. Im guessing like contractors directly working for US mil in Afghan ill get access to cookhouse etc. Ref the keeping the ID card bit im sure the one I lost earlier this year will turn up around August sometime!!!! Of course the proof of having served wasnt to take piss but in UK the public dont give a toss if you served or not, but of course Americans are different.
    It wont be mainland America ill be going anyway so mil discount getting into Disneyland wont apply. But like I said, may not even get it yet.
  9. What he said.

    VFW are mainly older gentlemen in my experience.

    The Legion has a Motorcycle section that is very active.

    USMC have an association too, friendly chaps, they also have a M/C section.

    CH5120 as you rightly observe it is a big deal to some here that you have served, as the good Ruckerwocman points out they have retired ID cards and they are readily displayed and shown if it will get preferential treatment or a discount.
  10. I amend my comment about Contractor ID cards. Here in the US (CONUS) a holder of such a card is usually not granted access to the base exchange, the commissary, or other perks on base; it only grants the holder access to the base to perform his or her job. Overseas however it may be different. It may entitle the holder to mess at the DFAC and use the base exchange. My chum who was at Camp Victory in Iraq said he saw a number of contract personnel eating at the chow palace every day although to him they looked pretty scruffy. Being a Master Sergeant he probably wanted to grip them, but if they were contract personnel they had no military status and probably wouldn't have cared anyway.;-)

    You'll always be welcome though in my hogan as 25 years service in the British Army is honorable. We love our vets here and you'll always have a warm welcome in any VFW or American Legion post you happen to visit.

    Dayton VA Med Center.jpg