Working in the Falkland Islands?

While waiting for 10 years worth of updates on one of the laptops that may contain my photos, I looked elsewhere:

IIRC, it's about a mile or two before reaching the settlement (from MPC/Stanley). As we didn't have a map, I can't be more precise than that. OC was driving and we thought we were lost but it turned out that were weren't. This was the point where we decided that if we didn't come into San Carlos in the next ten minutes, we'd turn back.
How did the carrier get there? 9(PARA) Sqn RE restored one in about ‘75. Did they take it with them?

Not my style, so no idea.

Given the relative high number of sniffer dogs at the airport, would suspect that grow your own might be an option.
But also a fair few visiting fishing boats and yachts.

But given that I bought a 24 cans of Becks for £12 last night (Coca-Cola was £16 for the same amount) drugs are not the biggest problem

Becks is loopy juice.
How in earth can they import it, sell it and make a profit at that price?
Is it out of sell by date?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Becks is loopy juice.
How in earth can they import it, sell it and make a profit at that price?
Is it out of sell by date?

Forgot to check the date on it. That was a rookie mistake!

How did the carrier get there? 9(PARA) Sqn RE restored one in about ‘75. Did they take it with them?
I saw it in 2007, 2010 or 2011 (I forget which but it'll come to me when I find my photos) and did an internet search when I came back. Memory's failing a bit but I seem to recall that a few were given to the FIDF post WW2. I do recall that I was surprised at how late they were issued so they may have arrived in FI in the late 50s or possibly even in the early 60s.

As for why that one became part of the scenery at San Carlos, I can only surmise that it broke down, was deemed BER, written off in place and scrap value was less than the cost of recovery.

One nagging thought is that my vague memories recall that the carrier I saw was in poorer condition than the one shown in the tweet. If that's so, there may be more in the area. The easiest way to find out the history would be to consult a local or an elderly veteran of the FIDF.

Perhaps strapping them to a chair and threatening torture would loosen their tongues.

Or teeth.

I saw it in 2007, 2010 or 2011 (I forget which but it'll come to me when I find my photos) and did an internet search when I came back. Memory's failing a bit but I seem to recall that a few were given to the FIDF post WW2. I do recall that I was surprised at how late they were issued so they may have arrived in FI in the late 50s or possibly even in the early 60s.

As for why that one became part of the scenery at San Carlos, I can only surmise that it broke down, was deemed BER, written off in place and scrap value was less than the cost of recovery.

One nagging thought is that my vague memories recall that the carrier I saw was in poorer condition than the one shown in the tweet. If that's so, there may be more in the area. The easiest way to find out the history would be to consult a local or an elderly veteran of the FIDF.

Perhaps strapping them to a chair and threatening torture would loosen their tongues.

Or teeth.
I was asking because 9Sqn brought one on a 16 Para Bde exercise in ‘75 and let some of us have a cabby.

Edit. In fact I’ve just remembered one of my previous posts. Apologies for fred drift.

“I was very lucky to have a drive of one on exercise on SPTA in 1975. 9(PARA) Sqn RE had restored one and lent it to our platoon - with driver/mech - when we played enemy for a 16 Bde Hq exercise. Basically we were harassing them while they tried to do their job. We all had a brief cabby during the week.

One funny event was while we were transiting across the plane in our 4 toner with the Bren carrier on board we were being followed by an MP in a minibus, we were all just sitting about in various types of “enemy” garb - we had recently been to the Jungle Warfare School in Malaya so some of us were even wearing VC type pyjamas. After about 5 minutes the MP put on his blue light and we pulled over, he got out of his vehicle - a very young Lcpl - and walked up to the tailgate and shouted “get your fücking headdress on!”
One of the lads up front banged on the roof of the cab and shouted “Sarge”
Out jumped “Shuggie” and proceeded to rip him a new one whilst making him stand to attention. I can’t remember his exact words but I can remember reference to “fücking enemy, fücking bren carrier and fücking pyjamas” I almost felt sorry for him (that’s a lie).”

Last edited:
I was asking because 9Sqn brought one on a 16 Para Bde exercise in ‘75 and let some of us have a cabby.

Edit. In fact I’ve just remembered one of my previous posts. Apologies for fred drift.

“I was very lucky to have a drive of one on exercise on SPTA in 1975. 9(PARA) Sqn RE had restored one and lent it to our platoon - with driver/mech - when we played enemy for a 16 Bde Hq exercise. Basically we were harassing them while they tried to do their job. We all had a brief cabby during the week.

One funny event was while we were transiting across the plane in our 4 toner with the Bren carrier on board we were being followed by an MP in a minibus, we were all just sitting about in various types of “enemy” garb - we had recently been to the Jungle Warfare School in Malaya so some of us were even wearing VC type pyjamas. After about 5 minutes the MP put on his blue light and we pulled over, he got out of his vehicle - a very young Lcpl - and walked up to the tailgate and shouted “get your fücking headdress on!”
One of the lads up front banged on the roof of the cab and shouted “Sarge”
Out jumped “Shuggie” and proceeded to rip him a new one whilst making him stand to attention. I can’t remember his exact words but I can remember reference to “fücking enemy, fücking bren carrier and fücking pyjamas” I almost felt sorry for him (that’s a lie).”
The proper headdress to don when in VC order.

Eddy at Holloway.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Inside the Beerworks.
20211127_150942.jpg

Unfortunately they can not serve when a child is present so had to buy some bottles to take away.

TamH70

MIA

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do they not have a bench outside, small children with lemonade,bottle, straw and crisps for the sitting and waiting on, for the use of? ;)
Was the beer any good?

(am pretty jealous of the FF-Adventures !)

Given the thunder storm at that moment in time, sitting outside was not an option.

Beer was good.

As was the chilli.

And the rum.

And the sticky toffee pudding.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20211128_095339.jpg

20211128_100115.jpg

20211128_100127.jpg

Wet and windy Sunday, waiting for the pool to open.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
First glimpse of Sealions
received_361220402427247.jpeg

Latest Threads