Working in the Falkland Islands?

We had scorching sunshine, gale force winds, torrential rain, heavy hail storm and blizzards - in the same day!
Two summer tours and the joys of BBQs on the beach on NYD while nursing hangovers brought about by too many pints of Baileys.

After one of the longest recruitments I have ever known.
Applied in March, interviewed end of May, offered post yesterday, we are now at the work permit stage.
Police checks, medical and dental checks for all the family apparently.

Anyone want to buy a house in the Highlands?

Sir has made an excellent choice!

Enjoy the fishing and I expect you to put in a good word for me should they require a Saffer to pootle about in a Mighty Twotter or touch up elephant seals.

Green with envy, you fortunate barsteward...

Q_Man

Old-Salt
Civilians, even ex military, are not allowed to use the NAAFI at MPA. I would suggest making friends with your military counterpart, they were there on a 2 year posting when I was there. You could get access to some of the military benefits of a posting down there.

We had scorching sunshine, gale force winds, torrential rain, heavy hail storm and blizzards - in the same day!
Same Day!!!!!!!

You must have been down there in the Summer.

I recall having the same weather conditions as above in the 'SAME' Hour.

Ref; the advice to take sun cream, 'TAKE LOT'S.

The days when the sun is out it can get very hot and it does catch a lot of people out.

Ask those who attended the 1983 Stanley Easter Horse Racing Event.

Some badly sun burnt Squaddies the next day, the fools who stripped off, had too much to drink and fell asleep when soaking up the sunrays.

Same Day!!!!!!!

Ditto in February down there. It played hell with the reportage being done by an Argentine TV crew - one cameraman and a reporter - from the Argentine war cemetery, the first time a TV station had been permitted.
The reporter started off his spiel with something about ‘being in this sad place under a bright sky...’
In rolled the mist as he was saying it. ‘Bugger. Cut. I’ll try again. Here we are in this sad place in swirling, grey mist ...’
‘Bugger. Cut. Here we are in this sad place ...’
Etc to cover rain, sleet and snow.
I noticed the cameraman was wearing a T-shirt with ‘Gotcha’ printed on the back.
I have to admit I was sorely tempted to take a pic. The Sun would probably have paid me a fortune for it given the location as well.
I didn’t though. I got on well with the cameraman - and why not - and particularly well with reporter, an Anglo-Argentine who was joint Editor of the ‘Buenos Aires Herald’.

Same Day!!!!!!!

The days when the sun is out it can get very hot and it does catch a lot of people out.

Some badly sun burnt Squaddies the next day, the fools who stripped off, had too much to drink and fell asleep when soaking up the sunrays.
I say same day, I meant during lunch hour! XD

From the Foreign office travel advice pages
View attachment 582971

I did wonder if someone was taking the proverbial with the sunscreen bit

Nope, this is gen. I've spent a fair amount of time in BFSAI (in short stints) and the sunscreen factor is down to the proximity of the South Pole and the ozone layer being at it's thinnest there.

I certainly suffered from this on one notable occasion, we did a battlefield tour to Mt Longdon - hugely recommended - and I had applied no sunscreen.

Voila, the next morning my face is looking like a purple grape.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nope, this is gen. I've spent a fair amount of time in BFSAI (in short stints) and the sunscreen factor is down to the proximity of the South Pole and the ozone layer being at it's thinnest there.

I certainly suffered from this on one notable occasion, we did a battlefield tour to Mt Longdon - hugely recommended - and I had applied no sunscreen.

Voila, the next morning my face is looking like a purple grape.
Barely any pollution either - apart from jet engines at MPA - just animal farts and the odd knackered tractor. Clean, cool air from three sides too...

Same Day!!!!!!!

I did a winter tour and couldn't work out where the snow landed because it was always flying past me horizontally on a 60 knot wind!

I did a winter tour and couldn't work out where the snow landed because it was always flying past me horizontally on a 60 knot wind!
Summer for me, day trip to Port san carlos,where sun burn and the effects of milk fresh from the udder from locals to who i had taken post to (cheaper via bfpo) left me in such a state i missed a night in the shed

964ST

War Hero
Summer for me, day trip to Port san carlos,where sun burn and the effects of milk fresh from the udder from locals to who i had taken post to (cheaper via bfpo) left me in such a state i missed a night in the shed
MMh! That 1 gene, from local fresh breast milk, and waking up buggered. Hell it does not get much better than that!

After one of the longest recruitments I have ever known.
Applied in March, interviewed end of May, offered post yesterday, we are now at the work permit stage.
Police checks, medical and dental checks for all the family apparently.

Anyone want to buy a house in the Highlands?
You will have to really think about your posts now,
Good luck
Make sure you make a military or RAF mate to get things sent BFPO

1. How much did you pay for the house and when?
2. How much is it worth now?

KEEP THE BUGGER