Working in the Falkland Islands?

Dwarf

LE
Oh,if you like fresh veg you'll have to grow your own. So take plenty of seeds with you and the makings of a poly tunnel. Otherwise be prepared to pay high prices and expect it when it comes.

After one of the longest recruitments I have ever known.
Applied in March, interviewed end of May, offered post yesterday, we are now at the work permit stage.
Police checks, medical and dental checks for all the family apparently.

Anyone want to buy a house in the Highlands?
Bye then :grin:

As others have said keep your place for when/if you come back.

Dwarf

LE
You'll struggle to find a decent dentist, I expect.....

On a more serious note, and being very selfish, having an ARSE correspondent on the FI will be fascinating.
My mates SWMBO is a dentist (ex-army) so if I don't say she's good there will be loads of trouble coming my way. Most medical stuff is catered for, serious or complex stuff S.America or air-bridge

Dwarf

LE
You'll struggle to find a decent dentist, I expect.....

On a more serious note, and being very selfish, having an ARSE correspondent on the FI will be fascinating.
Shirley that should be an arrse correspondent, shouldn't it?

Unless you are telling him.................... oh sorry I hadn't realised you don't get on.

Shirley that should be an arrse correspondent, shouldn't it?

Unless you are telling him.................... oh sorry I hadn't realised you don't get on.
Amended, with a thousand apologies to the members of this wise & virtual body.

Applied in March, interviewed end of May, offered post yesterday, we are now at the work permit stage.

But, but , but, you will miss Indyref2/3/4!

If I was you I would be buying yourself a decent 4 wheel drive and getting it shipped down on the ship - the prices in the Falkland carry a significant premium and if you choose correctly you should easily be able to sell it when you decide to leave - it’s been a long time but I seem to remember that aside from land rovers the Japanese stuff , Mitsubishi and toyotas were preferred - well worth investigating with someone down there now - the other main thing is that the internet and food stuffs and toiletries are also pretty expensive so worth taking at least an initial stash of soap,shampoo, razor blades etc

things that stuck with me from my trip was how blue the sky was and how clear the night sky was, enjoy.
I am sure that a lot of us who had a trip would be grateful if did post on how its changed, and i'm sure a few from arrse will be down next year.

The way the holiday market is going in the north, you should keep your property as it could generate a bit of income for you.
Remember to take a decent camera with you and post regularly on the self taken photo thread. (I won't be jealous of all those wildlife photo oportunities, honest)
Little Miss F is in for the experience of a lifetime.
Good luck.

Dwarf

LE
If I was you I would be buying yourself a decent 4 wheel drive and getting it shipped down on the ship - the prices in the Falkland carry a significant premium and if you choose correctly you should easily be able to sell it when you decide to leave - it’s been a long time but I seem to remember that aside from land rovers the Japanese stuff , Mitsubishi and toyotas were preferred - well worth investigating with someone down there now - the other main thing is that the internet and food stuffs and toiletries are also pretty expensive so worth taking at least an initial stash of soap,shampoo, razor blades etc
Good advice but perhaps there is a second hand one down there for a decent price if someone is selling up. Worth asking first.

Best of luck to you FF.

A bit of advice...

Park your car front into the wind so the doors don't get ripped off.

Another bit of advice...

Return every half hour to turn the front of your car into the wind.

A bit of advice...

Park your car front into the wind so the doors don't get ripped off.

Another bit of advice...

Return every half hour to turn the front of your car into the wind.

funny, but a serious point! when I was down there the base commanders au pair s landy was blown off the road with his kids in the back due to a massive gust of wind - noone hurt but the high winds, steep roadside ditches and loose road surface defnitely warrant lots of care being taken - also the same for cycling!

Awol

LE
I know it's not really Op Corporate but it is in the area!

There's a job being advertised that has sounds interesting but it is based in the Falkland Islands.

Anybody ant experience of actually living and working there and would you recommend it.

I was never posted there myself but my father did a tour back in early 80s just after conflict so his stories are a little dated and it's hard to ask him since he passed away!

It would be a 4 year fixed contract working directly for Falkland Island Government.
I’d jump at the chance. I might even apply. How long could I blag not being a dentist?

I was going to say exactly that. For when you return. You can always sell it later if you decide to stay. On the other hand you might like the place but not the woolly hats and want to come back one day.
Good luck and enjoy the experience, my mate down there is constantly sending me piccies of all sorts of wildlife.
I'm sure you'll like the place itself.
Mind this washed up on a local beach the other day so there are things to watch out for. -elephant seals.
Have fun.

View attachment 581867
Ooh a C3B.
A slight aside but is the EOD Ops Room still in Stanley across from the Nick?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The way the holiday market is going in the north, you should keep your property as it could generate a bit of income for you.
Remember to take a decent camera with you and post regularly on the self taken photo thread. (I won't be jealous of all those wildlife photo oportunities, honest)
Little Miss F is in for the experience of a lifetime.
Good luck.

We have looked at several options. Need to down size the house anyway. Bought for 5 of us but 3 grown up and gone offset by arrival of Tiny Miss F making just the 3 now.

Seems an ideal time to sell, and hopefully when return the market will have settled.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Costs 2000 to ship a car down.
But are looking at that option

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My mates SWMBO is a dentist (ex-army) so if I don't say she's good there will be loads of trouble coming my way. Most medical stuff is catered for, serious or complex stuff S.America or air-bridge

Airlink to S. America currently on hold

Latest Threads