Working in the Falkland Islands?

So it's Mrs F who, a bit like a service wife, has to find and build a network of friends, perhaps a job.
She could form a Lawn Tennis club...

...or Beach Volleyball*.

*Remembering that if you go for the ball, you DON'T shout "Mine!"

Diesel was even cheaper for the Pikey bennies who lived out in camp anywhere near to a remote site. Went up to an unmanned site on Mount Maria a couple of days after a couple of bollocks had been pre-positioned by a Chinook, only to find one of them was empty, with pools of spilt fuel all around and plenty of tyre marks going back down the hill-side.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What has been surprising is the complete separation that seems to exist between the two communities.
The military are out at MPA and the bulk of islanders live in Stanley.
There does not seem to be much mixing.

That might all change next year with the 40th anniversary but even then it will be returning veterans.

I still had to drive it in all weathers! I nearly pulled a land rover for speeding on MPA until I realised it was driven by Prince Phillip, the Stn Comd was also in the vehicle! XD
It's a good thing that you did not pull Prince Phillip over. From what I've heard about him, the best you could hope for from him is a salty bollocking. If he was in a bad mood, well, there's always the Tower.

What has been surprising is the complete separation that seems to exist between the two communities.

That might all change next year with the 40th anniversary but even then it will be returning veterans.
Not that surprising. Civvies aren't supposed to enter MPC and squaddies, if they can get transport, are faced with an hour's drive to return after getting a skinful at The Globe.

There used to be an opportunity for mixing when the Adventurous Training Camp in Stanley (Hillside?) was in use but I gather that it's closed now.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not that surprising. Civvies aren't supposed to enter MPC and squaddies, if they can get transport, are faced with an hour's drive to return after getting a skinful at The Globe.

There used to be an opportunity for mixing when the Adventurous Training Camp in Stanley (Hillside?) was in use but I gather that it's closed now.

When covid threatened, it was decided that it would be better to move the old folk out of the hospital.
They now reside in Hillside.

There's a purpose built facility being built for them

The price of food can be eye watering.
£3.57 for a cucumber in the shops the day.

Bread is frozen and a minimum of £2.50 a loaf.

But the beef is cheap and extremely good.

And while petrol is similar to the UK diesel is not

View attachment 612269

Seemples! Get some veg in Farmer Giles, and lay off the carbs.

Also plenty of fish if you know where to look *taps nose knowingly*.

If you were CBF, would you want hundreds of servicemen, on a short tour, weapons free in the local hostelries? At least with the current status quo incidents are limited and manageable. One of our juniors went to a house party and ended up with a custodial sentence. The administrative overhead is huge, especially when compared to keeping a lid on in camp incidents.

If you were CBF, would you want hundreds of servicemen, on a short tour, weapons free in the local hostelries? At least with the current status quo incidents are limited and manageable. One of our juniors went to a house party and ended up with a custodial sentence. The administrative overhead is huge, especially when compared to keeping a lid on in camp incidents.
FFS, I wonder how we managed in places like Honkers or any big Garrison in BAOR during a major exercise?
If commanders are using that as an excuse these days then I suppose it's a reflection of current mindsets of risk aversion.

FFS, I wonder how we managed in places like Honkers or any big Garrison in BAOR during a major exercise?
If commanders are using that as an excuse these days then I suppose it's a reflection of current mindsets of risk aversion.
That was before the internet, and I’m pretty sure that that FIG has very direct access into UK Parliament. FYSA as a serving member of the MOD I am not allowed to partake in many of the pleasures previously available in Hong Kong or Germany.

In 1983 it was a different situation.

Squadies were living in the same houses as the locals and other available accommodation i.e. the RC Church Hall, Town Hall etc.

There was a lot of 2 way traffic concerning goodies, compo chocolate and sweets for the local children* for example, tins of sugar and salt to the housewife for baking, a meal in a locals house, proper food not compo steak and chips was my favourite as was the locally made sausages.

Trading in consumables for the use of a proper bath and HOT water etc.

Mind you we were very busy then working 16 hour days, 7 days a week etc and limited down time.

I think at one time the Squadies in Stanley out numbered the locals and good relationships were built, but as always you get the ********** who f*uk it up and with serious consequences, i.e. the fire at the hospital caused by arson which destroyed the trust build up.

The Military bring in 'Normalisation' and the move to MPA plus the above has caused a split.

You must remember that when the Royals were based at Moody Brook just out of town on 2 year tours, they only had small numbers and some of the Booties married local girls and built up a excellent relationships.

In 1982 the Argies invaded in force and wrecked Stanley, abused the locals etc. Then they were replaced by a large number of Brit Squadies on short tours after the surrender and the long term relationships were not built up the same.

*I used to give the Kids chocolate and sweets when they hung around Bravo Slip to try and keep them out of harms way when we were loading the trucks etc.

It all back fired later in the tour when I was appointed the CBF FI Driver and I took him to the Church Service on a Sunday Morning. I was swamped by a load of Kids out side the church when I dropped him off which caused a few raised eye brows.

Hearts and Minds.

Edit: I am still in contact with some of the LOVELY Falkland Islanders who I met in 1983 via face book, email etc. I think some of them may read ARRSE.

Hello to: Colin, June, Gareth & Robin.

Last edited:
In 1983 it was a different situation.

Squadies were living in the same houses as the locals and other available accommodation i.e. the RC Church Hall, Town Hall etc.

There was a lot of 2 way traffic concerning goodies, compo chocolate and sweets for the local children* for example, tins of sugar and salt to the housewife for baking, a meal in a locals house, proper food not compo steak and chips was my favourite as was the locally made sausages.

Trading in consumables for the use of a proper bath and HOT water etc.

Mind you we were very busy then working 16 hour days, 7 days a week etc and limited down time.

I think at one time the Squadies in Stanley out numbered the locals and good relationships were built, but as always you get the ********** who f*uk it up and with serious consequences, i.e. the fire at the hospital caused by arson which destroyed the trust build up.

The Military bring in 'Normalisation' and the move to MPA plus the above has caused a split.

You must remember that when the Royals were based at Moody Brook just out of town on 2 year tours, they only had small numbers and some of the Booties married local girls and built up a excellent relationships.

In 1982 the Argies invaded in force and wrecked Stanley, abused the locals etc. Then they were replaced by a large number of Brit Squadies on short tours after the surrender and the long term relationships were not built up the same.

*I used to give the Kids chocolate and sweets when they hung around Bravo Slip to try and keep them out of harms way when we were loading the trucks etc.

It all back fired later in the tour when I was appointed the CBF FI Driver and I took him to the Church Service on a Sunday Morning. I was swamped by a load of Kids out side the church when I dropped him off which caused a few raised eye brows.

Hearts and Minds.

Spot on. Indeed, HQ BFFI was working actively to get the squaddies away from Stanley with the intention of creating "Normalisation".

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The military CoC would prefer that the rank and file stay within the confines of MPA. There was restrictions such as allowing only certain vehicles to be able to to drive to Stanley unless you hired a R&R Land Rover (££). As a contractor, having my own Hi-Lux this did not apply but you did also get the sense even the locals like the present separation. With the RE camp now closed and as mentioned above, being used as a old-dears residence then that was the last mil outpost in Stanley.
I used to go nearly every weekend to Stanley when i was last there (2018..) and compared to previous mil tours i went on, there was less and less military in Stanley. Most were the pads who travelled down to shop in the fairly decent supermarkets that are now in Stanley.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That was before the internet, and I’m pretty sure that that FIG has very direct access into UK Parliament. FYSA as a serving member of the MOD I am not allowed to partake in many of the pleasures previously available in Hong Kong or Germany.

One of the previous pleasures in the Armed forces was travel and see the world.
It was not work somewhere foreign but stay in the barracks the entire time.

There is indeed connection between FIG and the UK but it is with UK government, specifically Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office rather than Parliament

The military CoC would prefer that the rank and file stay within the confines of MPA. There was restrictions such as allowing only certain vehicles to be able to to drive to Stanley unless you hired a R&R Land Rover (££). As a contractor, having my own Hi-Lux this did not apply but you did also get the sense even the locals like the present separation. With the RE camp now closed and as mentioned above, being used as a old-dears residence then that was the last mil outpost in Stanley.
I used to go nearly every weekend to Stanley when i was last there (2018..) and compared to previous mil tours i went on, there was less and less military in Stanley. Most were the pads who travelled down to shop in the fairly decent supermarkets that are now in Stanley.
That’s how it was 16-17.

One of the previous pleasures in the Armed forces was travel and see the world.
It was not work somewhere foreign but stay in the barracks the entire time.

There is indeed connection between FIG and the UK but it is with UK government, specifically Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office rather than Parliament
The lads can get out and do stuff, and are/were encouraged to do so, vehicles/flights available. Going on the piss in Stanley just isn’t one of those things.

Latest Threads