Working in the Falkland Islands?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fresh feckn milk??? It was nowt but that UHT stuff when I was there. Sent wifey a bluey telling her that the first thing I wanted when I got home was a mug of tea made with fresh milk. Everything else could wait!!
I'm calling fibber too, I only spent 2 months in Canada, let the wife know when I'd be coming home and after a 21 hour travel time, stinking from wearing the same clothes for the past 36 hours, walked in the house, grabbed her, bent her over the back of an armchair and gave her the good news having only dropped my bags in the hall way and my combat trousers to my ankles. Opening a beer and getting into a hot bath was second! I found out after getting out of the bath that she had dressed up in some proper decent lingerie and stockings when she got a second seeing to.

Which of the three came third, then, after the tea and putting down the suitcase?

First thing said to me when the kids opened the front door - "Dad, my bikes got a puncture, can you fix it now?" not "Hi dad glad you're back" or anything welcoming like that. Wifey's first words were "Where've you been, weren't you meant to be back yesterday?" Back to normality in half a nano-second. All that crap about the second bang being the door closing........yeah, right.

Got send off to fire check a heli refuel site cannot remeber where but as i had a load of parcels that had come BFPO for a local i got tea and cake in the farm house kitchen they must of had a cow as i had fresh as in from the udder milk,spend the next 24 hours shitting myself thin
Probably Fox Bay. Shirley, who owned the bunk house the lads lived in had a cow and she would bake the lads a cake every few days. I think she had taken a fancy to OC POL as she would send him a cake back to MPA on the Eric every so often.

Shirley was from Antrim and looked after the heli-replen lads as if they were her own sons. One thing you didn't do was upset her. She owned quite a large parcel of land with some excellent trout streams. When she got wind of OC Supply Wing's (a RAOC/RCT half-colonel) self-invite to fly out to do a spot of fishing, she phoned OC Ops and told him she had withdrawn permission for helicopters to land on her property "until that arrogant ***** has gone back to UK".

Enough fred rift.

I suspect it was the same SRAFOFI who was unhappy that his Portakabin on the tarmac at the then RAF Stanley did not provide a good enough view of the runway, Being an action-man type, he swiftly organised a Chinook to do the business, and watched with satisfaction as his office was re-aligned to his satisfaction.

He had declined an invitation to move his office kit out of the Portakabin, and was a bit surprised when the building disintegrated at about 50 feet, with the bits and pieces - and all his paperwork - being redistributed about the airfield by the helpful Falklands breeze. The Chinook was unscathed, although SRAFOFI's chunky steel safe made quite a dent in the tarmac.

Apparently, special strengthening bits should be used if Portakabins need to be moved by crane - or helo!
Maybe he should have had a CHU. :? They're pretty sturdy and they have convenient lift points for rigging a harness if one feels the need to move it by Chinook. :?
Iraq CHU Housing.jpg

Military vehicles for use on public roads are governed at 40mph...

...but if you depress the clutch when going downhill, gravity takes precedence over mechanicals.

It also establishes your green credentials as you use much less fuel.
My military vehicle had no governor - then again, it was a police car. XD

Weather in those parts can change from sunny and cloudless to fog and rain with ten yards visibility in five minutes. Worth bearing in mind when off for a bimble exploring somewhere remote.

Like Glasgow, then.

In my day we didn't worry about such things as "Best By" dates. The object of the exercise was to get stinking. We left the beer tasting to the dilettantes.
(Beer tastings as practiced by my car club last July at the Sprecher Brewery in Milwaukee, WI)

View attachment 612037View attachment 612038

Sweet Navel Fluff of Odin ! Half mast shorts and skinny chicken drumsticks. Have you heathens never been taught the tigerish hetness of rugger shorts?

Sttrory

War Hero
I'm calling fibber too, I only spent 2 months in Canada, let the wife know when I'd be coming home and after a 21 hour travel time, stinking from wearing the same clothes for the past 36 hours, walked in the house, grabbed her, bent her over the back of an armchair and gave her the good news having only dropped my bags in the hall way and my combat trousers to my ankles. Opening a beer and getting into a hot bath was second! I found out after getting out of the bath that she had dressed up in some proper decent lingerie and stockings when she got a second seeing to.
Only twice………

So then @Fang_Farrier , you've been there a few weeks now, are you up for sharing your thoughts on the place, good, bad etc.

Will you see the contract out?

Appreciate you may not be able to say on a public forum, but be interested to see your take on this little peice of the empire...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No cows in FI?

There's a few but all beef cows rather than dairy.

In a similar fashion to the fact that the sheep are for the wool rather than meat, so despite all the sheep, there's no lamb on the shelves. There is no shortage of mutton though!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't count on it. My recollection is that it's akin to the rationing of BAOR in the 70s - strictly controlled for entitled personnel (pads) only. Think ration store rather than corner shop. You might get an odd item via a friendly pad buying something on your behalf but forget shopping.

You might be more successful getting a bag of Haribo for Little Miss F from the NAAFI shop but only until you're clocked as a civvy. Again, the get-round is to get someone to buy it on your behalf but there'd be trouble (particularly for your accomplice) if anyone found out.

No need, plenty Haribo in Stanley.

One of tiny miss F's friends sent her a bag from the UK.
The Haribo cost £1 and then the postage was £5.60!

It was a very kind gesture.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You can get up and over 60 MPH on the road from the HQBFFI (old school near to the race courses) via Davis Street to the Stanley Airfield (pass the sites of the Coastels, Tin City, Look Out Camp etc), in a series 3, 1980's 109 inch, Land Rover.

I was the CBF FI Driver in 1983 and I was instructed to take the Senior RAF Officer FI to the airport in a hurray, ignore speed limits etc. He wanted to go in the CBF FI Merc Jeep but I drove his Rover instead, as I did not want to wreck the CBF FI Merc.

All was well driving through Stanley AT 60 MPH (as the roads even though were damaged) the series 3 shocks were holding up.

On the badly damaged and rutted road to the airport the situation changed as the shocks would not handle the conditions at 60 MPH plus.

Senior RAF Officer FI said keep your foot down and hammer it, which was well until we hit the upside down cattle grid, the Rover gained air and landed hard on the front wheels some distance from where we took off.

Being the Driver, I had braced myself but SRAFOFI had failed to do so and had to wipe himself off the windscreen.

I apologised, 'he said keep on hammering it, I have not had so much fun since I was on fast jets'.

On entering the airport I slowed down at the RAF Police Check Point to have our ID's checked. On pulling away he said boot it so I did up to warp speed again.

He arrived at the airport 'very shaken and very disturbed'.

The RAF Policeman at the Terminal was also disturbed when he pulled me up for speeding around the airfield and the SRAFOFI told him to go away in short order.

His regular Driver was a tad miff as well as I had wrecked the front of his Rover.

After complaints an order was issued that the Military Drivers would strictly obey the speed limits, (well until the next fast response was need, which was about a week later).

Sir, I must obey the speed limits. Just boot it son I am (insert rank above a full Colonel here) and it's an emergency.

Wagons roll.

All roads within Stanley are concrete in varying states of repair.

But except for the MPA road I wouldn't want to do much more than 40, not in my own car anyway!

The Stanley airport road is still as you describe it!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Military vehicles for use on public roads are governed at 40mph...

...but if you depress the clutch when going downhill, gravity takes precedence over mechanicals.

It also establishes your green credentials as you use much less fuel.

There's also the fact that in poor weather the military ban their vehicles from the MPA Stanley road.

Does not apply to the locals and contractors

There's also the fact that in poor weather the military ban their vehicles from the MPA Stanley road.

Does not apply to the locals and contractors
I still had to drive it in all weathers! I nearly pulled a land rover for speeding on MPA until I realised it was driven by Prince Phillip, the Stn Comd was also in the vehicle! XD

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fresh feckn milk??? It was nowt but that UHT stuff when I was there. Sent wifey a bluey telling her that the first thing I wanted when I got home was a mug of tea made with fresh milk. Everything else could wait!!

August this year, they ran out of uht milk on the island.

And milk powder.

And all the wanky almond/soya/dog milk.

Caused a bit of a shortage until the next boat came

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So then @Fang_Farrier , you've been there a few weeks now, are you up for sharing your thoughts on the place, good, bad etc.

Will you see the contract out?

Appreciate you may not be able to say on a public forum, but be interested to see your take on this little peice of the empire...

It's been a month since we arrived but with quarantine, not been at work for 3weeks yet.
Only really 3 weekends and didn't have a car for the first of them.
First pay cheque this month and the nett amount is rather pleasing, will have to see how easy it is to transfer some back to the UK.

I would say that nothing has really been much of a surprise. I started this thread before I even applied for the job. Did plenty of research and reading. Checked social media.
By strange coincidence a former NHS colleague had worked down here recently, as had a colleague from my PQO course.
Both enjoyed it so much are permanent residents.

I have been kept busy at work, there's plenty to do there. Teeth, a refurbishment of the department, setting up an orthodontist service.

Tiny Miss F has her school.

So it's Mrs F who, a bit like a service wife, has to find and build a network of friends, perhaps a job. The delay in the work permit really unsettled her.

Me, I will easily see out my contract, it's only 4 years.
However whether I do the last couple unaccompanied or not remains to be seen.

The big issue will be if any of the elder 3 fanglets start to have a family, they're all of that age.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have to be with butteries at £1:90 for two ;) :D

The price of food can be eye watering.
£3.57 for a cucumber in the shops the day.

Bread is frozen and a minimum of £2.50 a loaf.

But the beef is cheap and extremely good.

And while petrol is similar to the UK diesel is not

20211027_163929.jpg

Latest Threads