Working in the Falkland Islands?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think they put a bus on for them to take them up to MPA. I'm not sure how long they stay alongside, though. Probably not much more than a day or two. AIS doesn't seem to be working very well.

Speed limit on the roads is 25mph in Stanley and 40mph elsewhere. So you don't get anywhere fast!

Have yet to visit MPA, but rumour has it that if you can get in then you can buy food at UK prices and unheard of luxuries like fresh milk!

Speed limit on the roads is 25mph in Stanley and 40mph elsewhere. So you don't get anywhere fast!

Have yet to visit MPA, but rumour has it that if you can get in then you can buy food at UK prices and unheard of luxuries like fresh milk!
No cows in FI?

I wouldn't count on it. My recollection is that it's akin to the rationing of BAOR in the 70s - strictly controlled for entitled personnel (pads) only. Think ration store rather than corner shop. You might get an odd item via a friendly pad buying something on your behalf but forget shopping.

You might be more successful getting a bag of Haribo for Little Miss F from the NAAFI shop but only until you're clocked as a civvy. Again, the get-round is to get someone to buy it on your behalf but there'd be trouble (particularly for your accomplice) if anyone found out.

You can get up and over 60 MPH on the road from the HQBFFI (old school near to the race courses) via Davis Street to the Stanley Airfield (pass the sites of the Coastels, Tin City, Look Out Camp etc), in a series 3, 1980's 109 inch, Land Rover.

I was the CBF FI Driver in 1983 and I was instructed to take the Senior RAF Officer FI to the airport in a hurray, ignore speed limits etc. He wanted to go in the CBF FI Merc Jeep but I drove his Rover instead, as I did not want to wreck the CBF FI Merc.

All was well driving through Stanley AT 60 MPH (as the roads even though were damaged) the series 3 shocks were holding up.

On the badly damaged and rutted road to the airport the situation changed as the shocks would not handle the conditions at 60 MPH plus.

Senior RAF Officer FI said keep your foot down and hammer it, which was well until we hit the upside down cattle grid, the Rover gained air and landed hard on the front wheels some distance from where we took off.

Being the Driver, I had braced myself but SRAFOFI had failed to do so and had to wipe himself off the windscreen.

I apologised, 'he said keep on hammering it, I have not had so much fun since I was on fast jets'.

On entering the airport I slowed down at the RAF Police Check Point to have our ID's checked. On pulling away he said boot it so I did up to warp speed again.

He arrived at the airport 'very shaken and very disturbed'.

The RAF Policeman at the Terminal was also disturbed when he pulled me up for speeding around the airfield and the SRAFOFI told him to go away in short order.

His regular Driver was a tad miff as well as I had wrecked the front of his Rover.

After complaints an order was issued that the Military Drivers would strictly obey the speed limits, (well until the next fast response was need, which was about a week later).

Sir, I must obey the speed limits. Just boot it son I am (insert rank above a full Colonel here) and it's an emergency.

Wagons roll.

I wouldn't count on it. My recollection is that it's akin to the rationing of BAOR in the 70s - strictly controlled for entitled personnel (pads) only. Think ration store rather than corner shop. You might get an odd item via a friendly pad buying something on your behalf but forget shopping.

You might be more successful getting a bag of Haribo for Little Miss F from the NAAFI shop but only until you're clocked as a civvy. Again, the get-round is to get someone to buy it on your behalf but there'd be trouble (particularly for your accomplice) if anyone found out.

Stamps or discount, dearie?

Military vehicles for use on public roads are governed at 40mph...

...but if you depress the clutch when going downhill, gravity takes precedence over mechanicals.

It also establishes your green credentials as you use much less fuel.

Phwoar . . . that looks brand-new . . . is it just to service RAF Mount Pleasant ?!

was there in 2005 when I was alongside it.

It's where the RN warships hang out these days. Partly so they don't overwhelm Stanley, and partly because MPA and HQBFSAI, the JOC, etc are all a short tilly ride away

great aerial view of the world's longest corridor there btw

You can get up and over 60 MPH on the road from the HQBFFI (old school near to the race courses) via Davis Street to the Stanley Airfield (pass the sites of the Coastels, Tin City, Look Out Camp etc), in a series 3, 1980's 109 inch, Land Rover.

I was the CBF FI Driver in 1983 and I was instructed to take the Senior RAF Officer FI to the airport in a hurray, ignore speed limits etc. He wanted to go in the CBF FI Merc Jeep but I drove his Rover instead, as I did not want to wreck the CBF FI Merc.

All was well driving through Stanley AT 60 MPH (as the roads even though were damaged) the series 3 shocks were holding up.

On the badly damaged and rutted road to the airport the situation changed as the shocks would not handle the conditions at 60 MPH plus.

Senior RAF Officer FI said keep your foot down and hammer it, which was well until we hit the upside down cattle grid, the Rover gained air and landed hard on the front wheels some distance from where we took off.

Being the Driver, I had braced myself but SRAFOFI had failed to do so and had to wipe himself off the windscreen.

I apologised, 'he said keep on hammering it, I have not had so much fun since I was on fast jets'.

On entering the airport I slowed down at the RAF Police Check Point to have our ID's checked. On pulling away he said boot it so I did up to warp speed again.

He arrived at the airport 'very shaken and very disturbed'.

The RAF Policeman at the Terminal was also disturbed when he pulled me up for speeding around the airfield and the SRAFOFI told him to go away in short order.

His regular Driver was a tad miff as well as I had wrecked the front of his Rover.

After complaints an order was issued that the Military Drivers would strictly obey the speed limits, (well until the next fast response was need, which was about a week later).

Sir, I must obey the speed limits. Just boot it son I am (insert rank above a full Colonel here) and it's an emergency.

Wagons roll.

I suspect it was the same SRAFOFI who was unhappy that his Portakabin on the tarmac at the then RAF Stanley did not provide a good enough view of the runway, Being an action-man type, he swiftly organised a Chinook to do the business, and watched with satisfaction as his office was re-aligned to his satisfaction.

He had declined an invitation to move his office kit out of the Portakabin, and was a bit surprised when the building disintegrated at about 50 feet, with the bits and pieces - and all his paperwork - being redistributed about the airfield by the helpful Falklands breeze. The Chinook was unscathed, although SRAFOFI's chunky steel safe made quite a dent in the tarmac.

Apparently, special strengthening bits should be used if Portakabins need to be moved by crane - or helo!

was there in 2005 when I was alongside it.

It's where the RN warships hang out these days. Partly so they don't overwhelm Stanley, and partly because MPA and HQBFSAI, the JOC, etc are all a short tilly ride away

great aerial view of the world's longest corridor there btw
I understand that the jetty has undergone improvements in the meantime, though.

...but if you depress the clutch when going downhill, gravity takes precedence over mechanicals.

Otherwise known as silent overdrive
Knock it into neutral and let gravity dictate the speed

Otherwise known as silent overdrive
Knock it into neutral and let gravity dictate the speed
Don't, really DON'T try it with a 10 ton Matador towing a 40/70 Bofors.

That is why you kept - and did NOT hand-in - your Army ID card !!

Not in late 82/83 they weren't!!!

Especially when the Bedford MK brakes failed at the top of Philomel Hill going down to the jetty.

Driver was standing on the brake pedal and pulling the hand brake up. (And dirtying his undies).

I was looking for a grass bank to bail out onto.

Luckily the jetty provided a bit of a extra space & run off and the LSL moored there would have provided a suitable buffer stop.

I was expecting a re-run of the Aquamatics.

Not in late 82/83 they weren't!!!

Especially when the Bedford MK brakes failed at the top of Philomel Hill going down to the jetty.

Driver was standing on the brake pedal and pulling the hand brake up. (And dirtying his undies).

I was looking for a grass bank to bail out onto.

Luckily the jetty provided a bit of a extra space & run off and the LSL moored there would have provided a suitable buffer stop.

I was expecting a re-run of the Aquamatics.
Ditto in 1969 whilst driver training on ten tonner going up a steep hill near Hameln. I was sitting behind the instructor when the driver used up all the air for the air brakes and started going backwards down the hill . I'm pretty sure I left scratch marks on the rear of the seat before the instructor grabbed the wheel and steered the truck into the bank on the side of the road

Fresh feckn milk??? It was nowt but that UHT stuff when I was there. Sent wifey a bluey telling her that the first thing I wanted when I got home was a mug of tea made with fresh milk. Everything else could wait!!

Fresh feckn milk??? It was nowt but that UHT stuff when I was there. Sent wifey a bluey telling her that the first thing I wanted when I got home was a mug of tea made with fresh milk. Everything else could wait!!
Fibber

Which of the three came third, then, after the tea and putting down the suitcase?

Got send off to fire check a heli refuel site cannot remeber where but as i had a load of parcels that had come BFPO for a local i got tea and cake in the farm house kitchen they must of had a cow as i had fresh as in from the udder milk,spend the next 24 hours shitting myself thin

Eeh. The excuses some people come up with when they come home with a dose of the clap.

Latest Threads