Working in the Falkland Islands?

The work would be at KEMH, think housing would be in Stanley.

Job description mentions liaising with the military dentist especially around GA.
My experience of the MPA Med Centre is that the MO gives patients a cursory glance before sending them to KEMH. Makes sense, I suppose, as KEMH has much better facilities.

The downside is that your treatments don't appear on your med docs. I have a lovely X-ray image of my right ulna though, as the MO said he didn't need it.

I dont usually bite but i will. "bollocks"....the price is bollocks? The snapshot is off the Sure Internet site now so the pricing is correct. And as you can see its still on MB used so unless there is another provider, which back in 2018 was talked about, i think "bollocks" is a bit strong.
Its the same way the blue packet of Typhoo Boost tea, 2nd shelf up in the Supermarket pic i posted, may not be there now but was back in 2018!
Reminded me of the staff officers regularly dripping at me because the internet was slow, or there was no 3G. The realities and costs associated with bringing internet access to an island in the middle of nowhere via satellite, then distributing it across and exceptionally harsh environment to a very limited customer base, seem to evade most people. Personally I don't know why SURE do it.

Reminded me of the staff officers regularly dripping at me because the internet was slow, or there was no 3G. The realities and costs associated with bringing internet access to an island in the middle of nowhere via satellite, then distributing it across and exceptionally harsh environment to a very limited customer base, seem to evade most people. Personally I don't know why SURE do it.
Cable and Wireless brought internet to Falklands and changed their name to Sure. So if you think I’m dripping as well as Commander BFSAI at the time I was there and every Islander I spoke to then we must be right moaners. And I refer you to my comment Afghanistan and specifically Kandahar....”warzone”, costs associated to bringing internet via sat (like C&W setup) to a base population of couple thousand and Ifone-Neda do it 60% cheaper. Sure made £127m profit so I know why they are doing it.
But at the time it was a rip off and as you say it has improved so again, it’s not really bollocks.

I did two 'summer' tours 91 - 92 and quite liked it.
It may have been due to not being at MPA.
I did look at job down there at one point but with an addled parent to take care of and other things decided it wasn't really practical
With the decades in between its probably at least reached the year 2000 down there now.

According to the job spec there's a gratuity for completing the 4 year contract.
I doubt I would hate it, and if family dislike it so much they could always return to the UK.

Do it. Not something that's offered every day and you'll always regret not going if you turn it down. Fishing in those parts is epic and if you know how to build lobster traps and make pickled fish, you're on a winner. Take along plenty of 25 litre plastic sealable buckets that can be returned with your household goods at the end. Fill with pickled/curried fish/lobster and enjoy.

images

Cable and Wireless brought internet to Falklands and changed their name to Sure. So if you think I’m dripping as well as Commander BFSAI at the time I was there and every Islander I spoke to then we must be right moaners. And I refer you to my comment Afghanistan and specifically Kandahar....”warzone”, costs associated to bringing internet via sat (like C&W setup) to a base population of couple thousand and Ifone-Neda do it 60% cheaper. Sure made £127m profit so I know why they are doing it.
But at the time it was a rip off and as you say it has improved so again, it’s not really bollocks.
Luddites is probably a better term than moaners. Getting internet to Afghanistan was easy compared to FI. The issue was the same in Ascension, and Diego. Massive distribution costs, minimal volume sales and nothing to offset against. That's why no one else is interested in providing the services. Airbus looked at it and realised that they couldn't do it and make enough profit.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have thought about that!

Unfortunately the military Dental Centre is RAF not RADC, so not sure if I can get them sent there by forces mail!
If you're in a military med centre, there will be a BFPO address so sorted.

Edited to add, there is but it's blueys only. @Auld-Yin better get photocopying :)

Nice hospital, modern kit and no queues in A&E.

Don't upset anyone in the Falkland Islands Company. They own everything, which can make things difficult. Likewise, don't upset anyone in the Falkland Islands Government.

I vaguely recall a story that was going the rounds about 10-15 years ago in which retribution went as far as putting petrol in the Land Rover oil filler, leading to a fiery explosion half an hour down the road once the engine had warmed up.

I'm guessing that you've found The Penguin News but if you haven't:

And the hand grenade's tucked into the wheel arches (1982/3 ish).

I know it's not really Op Corporate but it is in the area!

There's a job being advertised that has sounds interesting but it is based in the Falkland Islands.

Anybody ant experience of actually living and working there and would you recommend it.

I was never posted there myself but my father did a tour back in early 80s just after conflict so his stories are a little dated and it's hard to ask him since he passed away!

It would be a 4 year fixed contract working directly for Falkland Island Government.
I was there for a7 month winter tour - there is unbelievable wildlife on your doorstep , incredibly fresh air , ascension and chille available to fly to - but away from the mount pleasant base not a huge amount to do in port Stanley and everywhere else eg goose green etc is a small community -depending upon who you are working for you should be able to fly to all the outlying communities on the many islands - possibly even get to South Georgia-I d really love to go back for a couple of weeks holiday in the summer to see the stuff I missed but personally the idea of being therefore years wouldn’t be my cup of tea - however, there are some amazing possibilities if you are prepared to take the opportunity-for example you could fly to chille and then into Easter island

964ST

War Hero
Falklands has lots of Positives (for those that appreciate them!).

If you make an attempt to mix with the locals then you have to appreciate that “They know EVERYTHING about you” because they are a community that functions that way!

And if you enter a local “Kareoke” competition then you have to realise that you are on ”A Hiding to Nothing!” Cause they practice ALL winter, which is LONG!

Last edited:
Luddites is probably a better term than moaners. Getting internet to Afghanistan was easy compared to FI. The issue was the same in Ascension, and Diego. Massive distribution costs, minimal volume sales and nothing to offset against. That's why no one else is interested in providing the services. Airbus looked at it and realised that they couldn't do it and make enough profit.
Starlink and this kind of thing should improve stuff in the very near future.

Falklands has lots of Positives (for those that appreciate them!).

If you make an attempt to mix with the locals then you have to appreciate that “They know EVERYTHING about you” because they are a community that functions that way!

And if you enter a local “Kareoke” competition then you have to realise that you are on ”A Hiding to Nothing!” Cause they practice ALL winter, which is LONG!
I am still in contact with some families I met in 1982/3.

Used to give the kids compo chocolate and boiled sweets etc when I worked on Bravo Slip. This back fired a little when I was selected to drive the CBF FI. I was mobbed outside of the the Cathedral one Sunday morning by the same kids when I dropped the General off.

Eye brows were raised!!!!!

I’m pretty sure Chile flights have been suspended under pressure from Argentina.

Latest Threads