Working in the Falkland Islands?

View attachment 609953View attachment 609954View attachment 609955

That's 70p a single banana not per bunch!

Loaf of bread is about £2.50 and frozen.

There's no real concept of sell by dates.
The butter we bought last week has a sell by date of May21. But it might have been frozen on way down or in the stores here.
Prices vary dramatically from shop to shop for different items so it's definitely a case of buying selected things in each of them
How feasible would it be to invest in a poly tunnel & grow your own fruit & veg?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How feasible would it be to invest in a poly tunnel & grow your own fruit & veg?

Got to offset the cost of a robust enough poly tunnel and the cost of shipping it down.
As well as what we could actually grow in it. I.e. enough to make a difference.

But can get a small one locally for a few hundred, will get one soon, if only for a few bits and pieces

Got to offset the cost of a robust enough poly tunnel and the cost of shipping it down.
As well as what we could actually grow in it. I.e. enough to make a difference.

But can get a small one locally for a few hundred, will get one soon, if only for a few bits and pieces
If you asked the Governor nicely, he might let you use a corner of his conservatory.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not met him yet, but I'll bear it in mind.
When, if, you do meet him in your professional capacity, he will - of course - be feeling very vulnerable . . . a situation you may/may not, be able to exploit . . . ;) !!

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
When, if, you do meet him in your professional capacity, he will - of course - be feeling very vulnerable . . . a situation you may/may not, be able to exploit . . . ;) !!

Obligatory:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20211016_114440.jpg

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The butter we bought last week has a sell by date of May21. But it might have been frozen on way down or in the stores here.
Prices vary dramatically from shop to shop for different items so it's definitely a case of buying selected things in each of them

That reminded me of when I was doing my own Battlefield Tour during some downtime (same day I had to jump out that window). I'd drive round the circuit of the island, and stopped at.... oh.... ****... somewhere right on the coast with a wriggly tin warehouse shop / post office. I wandered in to get some lunch and pretty much everything was way past its Best Before End date. Unaccustomed to this, I ended up buying a bag of marshmallows as the thing least likely to kill me.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
That reminded me of when I was doing my own Battlefield Tour during some downtime (same day I had to jump out that window). I'd drive round the circuit of the island, and stopped at.... oh.... ****... somewhere right on the coast with a wriggly tin warehouse shop / post office. I wandered in to get some lunch and pretty much everything was way past its Best Before End date. Unaccustomed to this, I ended up buying a bag of marshmallows as the thing least likely to kill me.
You probably incinerated them though!

View attachment 609953View attachment 609954View attachment 609955

That's 70p a single banana not per bunch!

Loaf of bread is about £2.50 and frozen.

S'What happens when you leave* / move to* the end of the world.....

Delete as appropriate...

JB

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I did send FF aa PM saying if he fancies a wee welfare box, I'd fire over a shoebox filled with tattie scones, shortbread and a bloodied knife to make him feel back home again, but I've just checked Parcel Force. £88 for the cheapest shoebox sized delivery at 5kg!

Sorry FF! I'll send you a postcard soaked in Buckfast instead.

Without a VCR...

The angst....

JB
Oh, I don't know...some of Doug McClure's straight to video movies were fun. What about that one with the mesmerizing lizards called "At The Earth's Core"? It starred Peter Cushing as a mad hatter English inventor who developed a burrowing machine. Doug McClure was the mad Yank who was going to pilot the machine.

Still wouldn't be able to watch it without a VCR though. Fcuksticks. :( :evil::evil:

At The Earth Core.JPG

I did send FF aa PM saying if he fancies a wee welfare box, I'd fire over a shoebox filled with tattie scones, shortbread and a bloodied knife to make him feel back home again, but I've just checked Parcel Force. £88 for the cheapest shoebox sized delivery at 5kg!

Part of FF's remit is to liaise with the MPC Med Centre. Address the parcel to FIFI, c/o Med Centre, BFPO xxx* and pay inland postage.

Please note, if someone in officialdom is reading this, these words are said in jest as I really, really wouldn't encourage anyone to be naughty.

* can't be bothered to look it up.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Royal mail and under 2kg is apparently the fastest as goes airmail, though might get bumped off the plane if MOD have too much freight!