Working in the Falkland Islands?

One thing i noticed and if you look on the pic of the price for the Glock, nearly everything down there is on tick! You used to see it all the time in the UK in the 80's 90's but it seems that credit is the norm there.

In Peter de le Billiere’s book he said his family spent time on the outer hebs (Uists/Benbecula), before a posting to FI, as this was said to be very similar.

I’ve never been to the Falklands, but have spent time on the Uists, it’s very calming and good to get out, but it is very bleak and as you drive back onto the mainland you realise you missed trees.
He got freebie golf lessons down there from one of my guys - who subsequently joined the Army to fly....and play golf.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I shall be making enquiries over the next week.

Just have to remember that I am not the young single man that I was when I signed on, there's family to consider.

Do it for the experience, do battlefield tours at the weekends etc.
My last weekend there it was Remembrance Sunday. So i walked up to the summit of Tumbledown on my own....pretty poignant.
Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 23.13.49.png

He must have really upset a lot of people in Glasgow and at his other units.

S E V E N T O U R S!

Wy didn't someone just pass him a bottle of Scotch and the mess Webley?
small trade, with sand pits running as well the tour(s) turn around was harsh, we the civvy side suggested that we could do FI to give the service lads a better time span, it was not untill the big firemans strike that it happened, and only during strike.

In Peter de le Billiere’s book he said his family spent time on the outer hebs (Uists/Benbecula), before a posting to FI, as this was said to be very similar.

I’ve never been to the Falklands, but have spent time on the Uists, it’s very calming and good to get out, but it is very bleak and as you drive back onto the mainland you realise you missed trees.

Having to both the Falklands and the Outer Hebrides, I can echo that - in terms of geography, the similarities are uncanny...

No trees.
Small, weird but not unlikable population
Awful weather
Expensive stuff

Its a very niche country that the locals seem to love but frankly, 3 months was enough for me. You'd need to have a number of hobbies that suited the area for it to be worthwhile imo.

It was long enough for me too...

Tbh, I wouldn't want to go back, although I did spend my birthday on Sealion Island.

I went to Chile on the way in and on the way out - Santiago is great! Puerto Mont and Punta Arenas less so...

Seriously, give it a go.

I was there 82/83 and it was a bit like the Wild West, but good fun, hard work but enjoyable.

Now mine free, and more civilised.

Buy a off road motorbike down there and enjoy the wide open spaces.

There are numerous FI fagebook pages to give you an idea of the current situation.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I shall be making enquiries over the next week.

Just have to remember that I am not the young single man that I was when I signed on, there's family to consider.
You can't go, you are a book reviewer!!! By the time you got the book it would be out of print!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You can't go, you are a book reviewer!!! By the time you got the book it would be out of print!

I have thought about that!

Unfortunately the military Dental Centre is RAF not RADC, so not sure if I can get them sent there by forces mail!

I worked out there in 2018 with Interserve. Lived on MPA what was called Turners Accommodation for you oldies but where all contractors live. Falklands itself is good. Having been out there when I was in the military although you get around, as a civvy there is less restriction. Port Stanley has changed massively since i was first out there in 91 and what you can buy in a supermarket in UK, food wise, you can down there. Prices are a little more but not as bad as you think. There are 2 large supermarkets which stock Waitrose and if i remember Tesco stuff in the same shop.
Dont ask me why i took this but there is no shortage of tea....even the posh crap.
View attachment 558187
Houses, some new on the West end of Stanley and some to the South where a lot of the St Helenian and Chileans live. Yes, there are a lot of outside workers in Falklands. As for other shops there are others including Crozier Place shop which sells Dewalt tools and Glock 17's!
View attachment 558186
Yes, if you didnt know you can own most handguns and rifles in the Falklands...if i was staying i was going to buy a Browning 9mm for £300!
Someone mentioned internet....f*cking rip off. Sure Internet have the monopoly so dont think you are signing up your PS4 and playing all night on COD online without first discovering the talked about oil offshore and selling it!!
View attachment 558188
its done on usage like the old way we used to do it in the UK so you can easily come unstuck. I had just come from Afghanistan and for $90 i could get decent speed unlimited usage. They tell you "its because of where we are" until i told locals about Afghanistan which is also on a satellite and they realise they are being screwed.
There is a electrical shop which is well stocked but things come in every few months so be prepared for something they dont have to have to order it then wait.
I would go to Stanley every weekend and the road between MPA and Stanley is getting better each year. When its not horizontal snow and rain they tarmac sections.
Cars/4x4...it used to be Landrovers but now mainly Jap stuff. There is a Landrover "dealer" but you order online if you want to go new and few months later it turns up. But there is always someone selling a car or something. There is less military in Stanley now as the Engineers camp is closing unless its closed already and the amount of mil in MPA is reduced a lot now. The plan is to make it more a training place as contrary to what the Argentines continue to say, there isnt too much concern nowadays.
You fly down via Brize. Looooong (!) flight and stop off in Cape Verde but Ascension is meant to be coming back online......sometime. No in-flight entertainment so charge up your Ipads and top tip, take a euro plug to top up in Cape Verde as plugs in Falklands are same as UK.

Why did i leave....Interserve. Was sold a good craic but reality was anything but. Put my notice in, offered me more money, i left, came back to UK, new job and loads more money. Put it this way Interserve were going through trouble at the time and the labour they use are St Helenians who you will be amazed how many painters, decorators, plumbers, HVAC techs, mechanics and any other trade that Island has!!!
Very informative apart from the bollocks you wrote about the internet. It's now a bit better than it was in 2018, but not to UK standards in any way.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very informative apart from the bollocks you wrote about the internet. It's now a bit better than it was in 2018, but not to UK standards in any way.

I live in the North of Scotland, it's not up to the UK standards here either!

I have thought about that!

Unfortunately the military Dental Centre is RAF not RADC, so not sure if I can get them sent there by forces mail!
Does that mean you will live and work at MPA?
That makes a big difference than living in Port Stanley.

I dont usually bite but i will. "bollocks"....the price is bollocks? The snapshot is off the Sure Internet site now so the pricing is correct. And as you can see its still on MB used so unless there is another provider, which back in 2018 was talked about, i think "bollocks" is a bit strong.
Its the same way the blue packet of Typhoo Boost tea, 2nd shelf up in the Supermarket pic i posted, may not be there now but was back in 2018!

Nice hospital, modern kit and no queues in A&E.

Don't upset anyone in the Falkland Islands Company. They own everything, which can make things difficult. Likewise, don't upset anyone in the Falkland Islands Government.

I vaguely recall a story that was going the rounds about 10-15 years ago in which retribution went as far as putting petrol in the Land Rover oil filler, leading to a fiery explosion half an hour down the road once the engine had warmed up.

I'm guessing that you've found The Penguin News but if you haven't:

Penguin News...back in 91 as a very young Pte I had carnal knowledge of a Chilean reporter in the newsroom after meeting her next door in the Stanley Town Hall whilst she covered the annual Darts competition!

........... the annual Darts competition!
Sporting highlight of the year when I was down there.

That reminded me of the radio darts matches between the various settlements.

I was staying with the team off the heli-replen site at Hill Cove when the locals were playing against Fox Bay. I was having a few beers in what passed as their bar whilst the match was on - it was surreal listening to the sound of the other team's darts hitting the dart board coming over the radio whilst the locals huddled around their receiver before chucking their own arrows.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does that mean you will live and work at MPA?
That makes a big difference than living in Port Stanley.

The work would be at KEMH, think housing would be in Stanley.

Job description mentions liaising with the military dentist especially around GA.