Working in the Falkland Islands?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Apparently the job of spectacle repair at the hospital falls to the dental department!
20220629_103554.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The work bench in the laboratory is still taking shape.
20220630_115441.jpg

Obviously, it would be boring if it all well like clockwork.

Issue 1. The tap. While the part of the tap that's above the worktop is there, the various wee pipes and internal gubbings for it have not yet been located, although the empty box has.

Issue 2. The lovely upright partition. This has caused various problems.
2a. Physically fitting the plaster trimmer into the space available between sink and partition.
2b. The partition was designed to keep water splashes away from any electrical devices. However the plaster trimmer requires electricity so the dado rail is having to be extended past the partition.

A solution to both of these would be to move trimmer to left of the partition but that would then require plumbing in and out to be run to that side of it.

The partition location is fixed because it goes between the 2 sections of the worktop.

The work bench in the laboratory is still taking shape.
View attachment 673943
Obviously, it would be boring if it all well like clockwork.

Issue 1. The tap. While the part of the tap that's above the worktop is there, the various wee pipes and internal gubbings for it have not yet been located, although the empty box has.

Issue 2. The lovely upright partition. This has caused various problems.
2a. Physically fitting the plaster trimmer into the space available between sink and partition.
2b. The partition was designed to keep water splashes away from any electrical devices. However the plaster trimmer requires electricity so the dado rail is having to be extended past the partition.

A solution to both of these would be to move trimmer to left of the partition but that would then require plumbing in and out to be run to that side of it.

The partition location is fixed because it goes between the 2 sections of the worktop.

Shouldn’t your surgery/torture chamber have all been sorted before your boots left the UK mainland?
You’ve been there, what, 6 months now & still no workshop?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Shouldn’t your surgery/torture chamber have all been sorted before your boots left the UK mainland?
You’ve been there, what, 6 months now & still no workshop?

This is a refurbishment project, so there has been a surgery and lab here for years, this is just modernising it a bit.

Bringing it up to 20th century standard' :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
Medical leeches are still in use.

As are maggots.
I've never had anything you doctors didn't try to cure with leeches. A leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
@rmn
Apparently the noise from the roof space the day was that the refurbishment workmen have been tasked with cleaning up the roof space of 40years of dust, debris, any old pipes, wiring and lagging etc.

rmn

LE
@rmn
Apparently the noise from the roof space the day was that the refurbishment workmen have been tasked with cleaning up the roof space of 40years of dust, debris, any old pipes, wiring and lagging etc.
I did wonder what they were doing with the vacuum cleaner. As they sounded like they were enjoying themselves I thought it best not to ask.

Medical leeches are still in use.

As are maggots.
It has been a while but have clear memories of both being used in one area I worked in. The leeches weren’t so much of a problem, but the maggots were buggers for not staying where you wanted them.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
It has been a while but have clear memories of both being used in one area I worked in. The leeches weren’t so much of a problem, but the maggots were buggers for not staying where you wanted them.

Last time I saw maggots being used they were in a teabag type dressing. Seemed to keep them in place and easy to remove from the wound

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I did wonder what they were doing with the vacuum cleaner. As they sounded like they were enjoying themselves I thought it best not to ask.

Loud enough to drown out the 17gun salute to say goodbye to the Governor!

Last time I saw maggots being used they were in a teabag type dressing. Seemed to keep them in place and easy to remove from the wound
Sounds like an improvement, the ones I saw being used were sort of corralled in the wound bed with a built up dressing. I was always struck by the description on the pot they arrived in ‘sterile maggots’.... how on earth do you sterilise a living organism?

Sounds like an improvement, the ones I saw being used were sort of corralled in the wound bed with a built up dressing. I was always struck by the description on the pot they arrived in ‘sterile maggots’.... how on earth do you sterilise a living organism?
Grow a few generations in a sealed environment with food other than rubbish ISTR. Not many flies needed to generate a lot of eggs and therefore maggots themselves.

Microscope and two tiny bricks.

Last edited:

Latest Threads