Working in the Falkland Islands?

964ST

LE
I would have taken a metal detector with me, like this one (suitable for bad weather down to 66m).

1632905344792.jpeg

and a Irish “Mine Tester” just in case!

1632905257582.jpeg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Start of day 2 of quarantine. (Of 8days)

The unpacking of boxes would be smoother if didn't have to keep avoiding tiny miss F on her scooter!

Jobs for the week include trying to make the garden walkable by picking up all the goose shite!

Start of day 2 of quarantine. (Of 8days)

The unpacking of boxes would be smoother if didn't have to keep avoiding tiny miss F on her scooter!

Jobs for the week include trying to make the garden walkable by picking up all the goose shite!
There are more productive things to do while in quarantine.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20210929_104518.jpg

@Fang_Farrier - is that the Falklands Government’s equivalent of a married quarter, or are you privately renting? Also glad to see your boxes got there with you. On the same flight as air freight, or waiting for you on arrival? Sorry if I’m being nosey, I’m just curious; they seem to have looked after you after the paperwork ballache.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Aww, they're like cats really aren't they, give em an empty box to play with.... this is the Shackleton game I take it?

HMS Conqueror. :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Fang_Farrier - is that the Falklands Government’s equivalent of a married quarter, or are you privately renting? Also glad to see your boxes got there with you. On the same flight as air freight, or waiting for you on arrival? Sorry if I’m being nosey, I’m just curious; they seem to have looked after you after the paperwork ballache.

Falklands islands government.

Fully furnished.

We sent boxes ahead, so here on arrival.
You get a relocation allowance, fixed rate.

They seem well used to new arrivals.

Would say that the house is spacious, warm and wind proof.

One thing I do remember from my time there is the quality of the light. There is no polution. It might also be due to the massive hole in the ozone layer right above your location!

I’ve never been to the FI, but I can absolutely agree with that. I used to live in Atlanta, where there is an educational observatory (astronomy type). It was built in the late 60s, and at that time the population of the metro ATL area was ~1 million people. Today it’s ~6 million, and the observatory is unable to function to anything like when it was built. Where I live now is pretty remote from light pollution, and the stars on a cloudless night are just beautiful. I’d never seen anything like it, until I first visited.

Falklands islands government.

Fully furnished.

We sent boxes ahead, so here on arrival.
You get a relocation allowance, fixed rate.

They seem well used to new arrivals.

Would say that the house is spacious, warm and wind proof.
Did you get a baracky bill March In?

I’ve never been to the FI, but I can absolutely agree with that. I used to live in Atlanta, where there is an educational observatory (astronomy type). It was built in the late 60s, and at that time the population of the metro ATL area was ~1 million people. Today it’s ~6 million, and the observatory is unable to function to anything like when it was built. Where I live now is pretty remote from light pollution, and the stars on a cloudless night are just beautiful. I’d never seen anything like it, until I first visited.

The Southern sky is very strange to me as acNorthern hemispherer. Thoroughly enjoyed looking at it though when in NZ's South Island. Bit disconcerting though, kept looking up for the Big Dipper to orientate myself. Was told there was a Southern sky style version but couldn't see it - - too, too many stars.

Latest Threads