Working in the Falkland Islands?

I would imagine the school is pretty good as most of the amenities are. Don't know about the internet, but again I would imagine it's pretty good. As for a car............the only metaled roads are in Port Stanley (unless it's changed dramatically) A landy is the minimum requirement for anywhere in the camp (that's what the locals call anywhere outside Stanley) and a good mate in FIGAS (Falkland Island Government Air Sevice) is handy if you want to get to West Falkland.
Although the Falklands is at the outer reaches of the planet, I seem to recall that what they have is very good in terms of amenities and technology. The main thing that would be different from where @Fang_Farrier is living now, is you can't just hop in the car and drive to Inverness for the day!
So a huge benefit then?
:twisted:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I did six months there in 93 in HQBFFI at Mount Pleasant Airfield. It was basic but pleasant enough, but downtime activities were limited. Imagine a really, really, really big Dartmoor, a limited gene pool, but stunning scenery if you like being outdoors. I imagine there are opportunities to explore South America these days as well.

I enjoyed it, but had to find something else to do other than drink, so learned to scuba dive.

It was also the only place I have ever been where we literally had four seasons of weather in one day.

Last edited:
In Peter de le Billiere’s book he said his family spent time on the outer hebs (Uists/Benbecula), before a posting to FI, as this was said to be very similar.

I’ve never been to the Falklands, but have spent time on the Uists, it’s very calming and good to get out, but it is very bleak and as you drive back onto the mainland you realise you missed trees.
Met with DLB & Mrs DLB when he was CBFFI, and they thoroughly enjoyed their time there. But then, he had every opportunity to get out and about at the drop of hat. If it were me being offered the opportunity I'd go. It's not going to come around that often.

Dwarf

LE
FIG will fly you crab air.
They have a number of seats reserved on each flight but it does depend to a degree on Crab necessities. But it's UK - FI. Chile is civ- air.

I'd do a 12 month renewable contract, but somewhere at the end of the world I would not commit to 4 years off the bat. If you hate it you and the family are screwed, I'd also want some more flights paid for, and a free vehicle for the duration. I like out of the way places, but I also like to be able to get away from them readily.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'd do a 12 month renewable contract, but somewhere at the end of the world I would not commit to 4 years off the bat. If you hate it you and the family are screwed, I'd also want some more flights paid for, and a free vehicle for the duration. I like out of the way places, but I also like to be able to get away from them readily.

According to the job spec there's a gratuity for completing the 4 year contract.
I doubt I would hate it, and if family dislike it so much they could always return to the UK.

anglo

LE
According to the job spec there's a gratuity for completing the 4 year contract.
I doubt I would hate it, and if family dislike it so much they could always return to the UK.
If you and your Mrs are happy about going, then go, just be sure you both want to go.

Magnificent desolation as Mr Aldrin once said.
It was an experience. In their Winter...

It’s a local island for local people.

If you walk into that with eyes wide open, great, but given the changing attitude of the Argie Gov’t (i.e. return no co-operation and locking any S American support for FIs), I’d be very wary.

Just playing devil's advocate. Just make sure that you all want to go, its a long way from the shops if you suddenly remember you need something.

HCL

LE
A lad i joined up with did 7 tours, we have a lot of ex RAF at work some who PVR ed at idea of a FI irip

He must have really upset a lot of people in Glasgow and at his other units.

S E V E N T O U R S!

Wy didn't someone just pass him a bottle of Scotch and the mess Webley?

I know it's not really Op Corporate but it is in the area!

There's a job being advertised that has sounds interesting but it is based in the Falkland Islands.

Anybody ant experience of actually living and working there and would you recommend it.

I was never posted there myself but my father did a tour back in early 80s just after conflict so his stories are a little dated and it's hard to ask him since he passed away!

It would be a 4 year fixed contract working directly for Falkland Island Government.
I did a 4 month tour in 91, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there so much, I applied to join the Falkland Islands Police, I passed the paper sift but the job went to an islander.

Would you be classed as an expat in a British Overseas Territory?

Anyway, I'd be looking at flights each year return to the UK for the whole family, housing allowance of some sort, vehicle allowance of some sort, cast iron HealthCare policy/insurance with evac, schooling provisions for kids if not state free provided, etc...

Basically, all the quality of life things that can eat into the salary being provided and taken care of - or at least fixed and agreed.

And from experience of living somewhere other than your home place - the ability to wake up one morning, put your Passport in your pocket and immediately leave taking nothing else other than your family and you. The liability for everything else is looked after by someone else, or you can write off anything left behind.

Probably sounds a bit dramatic.

I worked out there in 2018 with Interserve. Lived on MPA what was called Turners Accommodation for you oldies but where all contractors live. Falklands itself is good. Having been out there when I was in the military although you get around, as a civvy there is less restriction. Port Stanley has changed massively since i was first out there in 91 and what you can buy in a supermarket in UK, food wise, you can down there. Prices are a little more but not as bad as you think. There are 2 large supermarkets which stock Waitrose and if i remember Tesco stuff in the same shop.
Dont ask me why i took this but there is no shortage of tea....even the posh crap.
Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 21.25.10.png

Houses, some new on the West end of Stanley and some to the South where a lot of the St Helenian and Chileans live. Yes, there are a lot of outside workers in Falklands. As for other shops there are others including Crozier Place shop which sells Dewalt tools and Glock 17's!
Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 21.24.04.png

Yes, if you didnt know you can own most handguns and rifles in the Falklands...if i was staying i was going to buy a Browning 9mm for £300!
Someone mentioned internet....f*cking rip off. Sure Internet have the monopoly so dont think you are signing up your PS4 and playing all night on COD online without first discovering the talked about oil offshore and selling it!!
Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 21.30.28.png

its done on usage like the old way we used to do it in the UK so you can easily come unstuck. I had just come from Afghanistan and for $90 i could get decent speed unlimited usage. They tell you "its because of where we are" until i told locals about Afghanistan which is also on a satellite and they realise they are being screwed.
There is a electrical shop which is well stocked but things come in every few months so be prepared for something they dont have to have to order it then wait.
I would go to Stanley every weekend and the road between MPA and Stanley is getting better each year. When its not horizontal snow and rain they tarmac sections.
Cars/4x4...it used to be Landrovers but now mainly Jap stuff. There is a Landrover "dealer" but you order online if you want to go new and few months later it turns up. But there is always someone selling a car or something. There is less military in Stanley now as the Engineers camp is closing unless its closed already and the amount of mil in MPA is reduced a lot now. The plan is to make it more a training place as contrary to what the Argentines continue to say, there isnt too much concern nowadays.
You fly down via Brize. Looooong (!) flight and stop off in Cape Verde but Ascension is meant to be coming back online......sometime. No in-flight entertainment so charge up your Ipads and top tip, take a euro plug to top up in Cape Verde as plugs in Falklands are same as UK.

Why did i leave....Interserve. Was sold a good craic but reality was anything but. Put my notice in, offered me more money, i left, came back to UK, new job and loads more money. Put it this way Interserve were going through trouble at the time and the labour they use are St Helenians who you will be amazed how many painters, decorators, plumbers, HVAC techs, mechanics and any other trade that Island has!!!

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
There's a few smallish trees mostly around Stanley, plenty of hiking, fantastic fishing if you're into that, unpolluted so some nice clear days, always windy, and all the stuff that has been said already.

Some talk now and then about UK - FI flights going via St Helena but still uncertain...

4(T)

LE
I did a year or so there, and could imagine sticking it for two (wildlife, hill walking, fresh air, lots and lots of very fresh air...).

Four years though...no, not even with absurdly generous leave & flights allowance (and I'm a lifetime expat accustomed to making a life in some very basic/ remote locations).

I think you might find the family separation particularly onerous. If either you or Mrs gets cabin fever because of boredom/ lack of amenity or something, it'll become a real strain stagging on.

How are you going to post on Arrse on a satellite dial-up connection at about £10 per minute?

I did 16years on Orkney so lack of trees and bad weather are not too daunting in themselves but you could always jump on a ferry once the wind dropped!
Very like the Hebs and other Islands - I volunteered to extend and got told to feck off. Weather can be brutal but if you liked Orkney you should be fine.