Working in the Falkland Islands?

Ah how I miss watching my ( then svelte) young wife struggle into her starched white nurses uniform , after bringing me a cup of tea in bed, and before she headed off to work.
it was a black day when they brought in tunics and trousers . ( the lard arses preferred it however !).
sorry for drift, the wife tells me the pics of building carnage in the surgery is giving her flashbacks!.

Ah, the days of different coloured belts and silver buckles. The joy of hearing, kerrrrisssst! as the ex no 2 tried to hold back the years by refusing to get a bigger belt. The flithy look that followed my sniggers that told me my penis was PNG'd for a week.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah, the days of different coloured belts and silver buckles. The joy of hearing, kerrrrisssst! as the ex no 2 tried to hold back the years by refusing to get a bigger belt. The flithy look that followed my sniggers that told me my penis was PNG'd for a week.
<Thread drift> When my missus completed her RGN training almost 30 years ago I bought her one of those silver 'Butterfly' buckles. They weren't allowed to be worn in training. She proudly wore it at her first ward in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. A couple of years later I re-enlisted and ended up moving down to Colchester. She got a Nursing post at the Colchester MRS. No belts worn there, and any subsequent job has been either beltless uniforms or tunic and trousers. She still has the belt as a keepsake. <End of drift>

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
<Thread drift> When my missus completed her RGN training almost 30 years ago I bought her one of those silver 'Butterfly' buckles. They weren't allowed to be worn in training. She proudly wore it at her first ward in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. A couple of years later I re-enlisted and ended up moving down to Colchester. She got a Nursing post at the Colchester MRS. No belts worn there, and any subsequent job has been either beltless uniforms or tunic and trousers. She still has the belt as a keepsake. <End of drift>
They are still available as a graduation present.

I bought Middle Miss F one of those upside watches.

A plastic type one.

Got change from a fiver.

Quite a bit of change actually.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Seeing as the lovely new floor is in, time to start cutting the doorway again. This time with extraction fan.
Has to be done before next week as that is when the chairs are being fitted.
20220128_102623.jpg

FF can you get Argentian wines in Falklands or is that a no no just a thought as I have just had a Glass of Terra Argenta Malbec with my supper tonight . By the way it was on offer at half price £5.25 in Morrisons

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
FF can you get Argentian wines in Falklands or is that a no no just a thought as I have just had a Glass of Terra Argenta Malbec with my supper tonight . By the way it was on offer at half price £5.25 in Morrisons

Not really looked but would be surprised if there was any in the shops.

There's been kurfuffle on social media about a tin of something on the shelves that was described as Argentine, although it wasn't actually from there

Not really looked but would be surprised if there was any in the shops.

There's been kurfuffle on social media about a tin of something on the shelves that was described as Argentine, although it wasn't actually from there
What? Somebody noticed that tangerine is an anagram of Argentine?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Finally got out to the launcher opposite Dairy Paddock Road.
received_3133293740220516.jpeg
received_1063709820941044.jpeg
received_2785090378303745.jpeg
received_1150579202379651.jpeg
received_3097211193860669.jpeg
received_1251008078714754.jpeg
All dials are marked in English

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Up Sapper Hill.
received_656574045420978.jpeg
received_1336857443409226.jpeg
received_1326850561155956.jpeg
received_722252395410487.jpeg

And the view West from it. The Argentinians retreated from it before any significant fighting. It would have been a long walk over featureless terrain to reach it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The old rifle butts on Sapper Hill.
received_993505327910750.jpeg
received_470701161287477.jpeg
received_292397802954978.jpeg
received_640592400478479.jpeg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Base of Sapper Hill
received_1128230137981090.jpeg
received_933879460489946.jpeg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The road to MPC.
received_1517941161939533.jpeg
received_250513457233770.jpeg

964ST

LE
FF sorry for interacting, but I have to say that the workers that are doing the job on your surgery are doing their best, according to there experience.

Working in a remote location is totally different to having access to eqipment and materials, and "experience" is actually different from the norm.

The Whales are grouping (poding), make the most of it?

Last edited:

rmn

LE
Tarmac? Bloody luxury. In my day.........
But not all the way. Still have the gravel / pot holed few miles to the Mare Harbour / MPC junction. The road around East Falkland remains gravel. Oh the joy of coming across the road gang as they put 6 inchess of gravel on the road prior to grading and the only way forward you have is to drive on to the gravel and hope your ground clearence will be enough.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Tarmac? Bloody luxury. In my day.........

It's been a long process and not yet finished.
There remains a significant portion still to tarmac. Over 5 miles.
And some of the earlier bits are now in need of repair.

Latest Threads