Working in the Falkland Islands?

endure

GCM
30 minutes...

flk.JPG

TURN BACK IT'S NOT TO LATE!!!!!

Turn your watch back to the 1950's.

Seriously; The Best of Luck.

I was considering moving there following my tour in 1982/3. I stayed on a few more weeks after the main party returned to the UK.

Long Haired CO had a fit in Aldershot, not really helped by me volunteering to go down in the first place and missing a UN Tour in Cyprus.

Some wife's have no sense of humour.

...Still, the odd carrier penguin sent to ARRSE HQ might keep the Arrseratii up to date with 'life on the Edge'

Speckled Jim won't even make it off the island. Nothing the skuas like better than plump juicy slow moving dinner.

Some time ago a colleague was on a flight down there that developed a technical shortly after take-off. The way he tells it they couldn't simply dump the fuel because of environmental restrictions so had to circle over the Bristol Channel for hours to get down to landing weight (and then of course sit in BZN for 24 hours before catching the rescheduled flight).
The air bridge has always been a source of much hilarity. Well, in hindsight.

On my first trip to Ascension in 1985, we'd just passed Spain when the driver informed us that one of the generators had packed up.

"It's OK. This sort of thing happens quite often. We have one generator on each engine, four engines, so plenty of built-in redundancy".

A bit later, somewhere near the Canary Islands, he's back on again.

"Well, this is a bit embarrassing. Another generator has packed up. Still no need to worry. We still have two generators and the aircraft can fly perfectly well on just one."

A couple of hours after that, it's him again.

"I'm not going to pretend that I'm not a little worried but we've lost another generator. This has never happened to me before. Under normal circumstances, we'd now be making our way to the nearest airport however the nearest airport is at Ascension Island, albeit still a couple of hours away." He went on to request that we tidy all our stuff so that it didn't impede a quick exit.

You might have guessed that the 4th generator didn't pack up. Now, it's possible that this was a huge practical joke but half the passengers were civvies, heading to either Ascension or FI and the aircraft did make an unscheduled 30 hour stop before continuing south.

Some time ago a colleague was on a flight down there that developed a technical shortly after take-off. The way he tells it they couldn't simply dump the fuel because of environmental restrictions so had to circle over the Bristol Channel for hours to get down to landing weight (and then of course sit in BZN for 24 hours before catching the rescheduled flight).
got told years ago, that a shit load of Avtur had slight water condensation in, would cost too much to ship out,too much for fire section to burn,so it was offerered up gash on bennyFM

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
AAAAGH!!! MPA!!! Use to sit and watch the goeshomie tri-stars on land in the piccie and think one day I will be on one (Rather than a Herc)!

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It all sounds like a Star Trek intro, "This is the log of Fang Farrier, to boldly go on a four year mission to install teeth into Bennies."

got told years ago, that a shit load of Avtur had slight water condensation in, would cost too much to ship out,too much for fire section to burn,so it was offerered up gash on bennyFM
Locals used to buy the "waste" fuel from the military when the big tanks were getting cleaned. Nothing wrong with it, but had to go to what we called a Slops Tank. They had to buy it at waste fuel rates....of course it was put to good use in Stanley .

Last edited:
I do hope that Mrs FF likes the colour of her roof.
Argentinian blue if I remember..... but just sit back and enjoy the night sky.... Gods work at his finest and you will never get another chance.

Last edited:
You're a proper pilot, right ?
Well, if you don't see the lights after flying south for half a day, then you have to turn right and try and find Chile. It's a bit skinny and the neighbours are unfriendly and you might miss it. After that, start reading the safety card in the seat pocket in front of you...

Latest Threads