Working in the Falkland Islands?

Dwarf

LE
Conversation with mate who is on the flight about directionally misplaced Crabs.

Him. There are only three islands on the way, St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. Even the RAF can't get that lost................

Me. So expect landing in Iceland fairly shortly.

Navigation South is simple. If it's brightly lit,it's Rio and that's gunfire,not the carnival. If it's got power cuts,it's Bueno Aires because the economy's fucked. Steer left and aim at the darkness. When a few very small lights appear, that's the Falklands.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Navigation South is simple. If it's brightly lit,it's Rio and that's gunfire,not the carnival. If it's got power cuts,it's Bueno Aires because the economy's fucked. Steer left and aim at the darkness. When a few very small lights appear, that's the Falklands.
You're a proper pilot, right ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was close to giving that an "informative" but I think there must be an error.

If you steer left and aim at the darkness, doesn't that just put you into the holding pattern for Buenos Aires?

No that is South Georgia.

You should have steered slightly right when you left Ascension Islands.

@Fang_Farrier

Good luck to you and your familly.
As spring is arriving in the islands, the wildlife watching will be excellent.
Take photos....lots of photos.
I will try and not drink all the whisky before you return.

ETA. I managed to get you 2 tickets for the Calcutta Cup match next February at Murrayfield. Oh well, guess I'll have to use them myself.

Last edited:
In the 80's... we described Stanley as the only 3rd world village totally populated by white people.

There was only one last time I looked...... :)
Debatable. Despite Ascension Island usually being in the singular, there are a few islands dotted around. Boatswain Bird Island is one and was the most promising in terms of having the most profitable natural resources for export - until someone invented man-made fertiliser. That also put a stop to the Ascension Island Railway.

endure

GCM
3 hours to go...

ff.JPG

Attachments

• ff.JPG
    ff.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 27
I suppose now is about the time that the passengers get informed that they can't land due to weather conditions and they'll have to go back to Dakar (or wherever).

QRK2

LE
I suppose now is about the time that the passengers get informed that they can't land due to weather conditions and they'll have to go back to Dakar (or wherever).

Some time ago a colleague was on a flight down there that developed a technical shortly after take-off. The way he tells it they couldn't simply dump the fuel because of environmental restrictions so had to circle over the Bristol Channel for hours to get down to landing weight (and then of course sit in BZN for 24 hours before catching the rescheduled flight).

seat_sniffer2

Old-Salt
@Fang_Farrier

Hope you & family had a safe and uneventful flight, and eventually landed safe. Plus, Good Luck in your new adventure.

I don't suppose we'll hear from you that much now, what with the 1.2k dial-up modem etc., if it's working that is.

Still, the odd carrier penguin sent to ARRSE HQ might keep the Arrseratii up to date with 'life on the Edge'

Latest Threads