Working in the Falkland Islands?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I know it's not really Op Corporate but it is in the area!

There's a job being advertised that has sounds interesting but it is based in the Falkland Islands.

Anybody ant experience of actually living and working there and would you recommend it.

I was never posted there myself but my father did a tour back in early 80s just after conflict so his stories are a little dated and it's hard to ask him since he passed away!

It would be a 4 year fixed contract working directly for Falkland Island Government.

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
No trees.
Small, weird but not unlikable population
Awful weather
Expensive stuff

Its a very niche country that the locals seem to love but frankly, 3 months was enough for me. You'd need to have a number of hobbies that suited the area for it to be worthwhile imo.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I did 16years on Orkney so lack of trees and bad weather are not too daunting in themselves but you could always jump on a ferry once the wind dropped!

It's a while since I have been there, but it won't be that disimilar to where you live now. Weather will be slightly warmer in the summer and slightly colder in the winter. Wind all year round.
They have a fairly new hospital which presumably has a dental section in it.
If you have an interest in wildlife (take a good camera) and the outdoors, then you will enjoy it. As has been said the fishing is excellent.
Locals are friendly enough, but I should imagine in such a small community there will be a fair amount of "politics" at play. You should be used to that where you live!
I thouroughly enjoyed my time down there.

Plenty of videos to watch and give you an idea.

Two things I'd want to know - How much home leave does it include and can you take the family?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Two things I'd want to know - How much home leave does it include and can you take the family?

Includes flights at beginning and end of contract for self and dependants as well as some for leave.

Includes flights at beginning and end of contract for self and dependants as well as some for leave.
Next in line - schooling and internet connection? Car included?

My wife and I lived and worked in the Falkland Islands before the war. She was a teacher and I was a member of the Resident Engineer’s team overseeing the construction of the Falkland Islands Airport (now renamed Port Stanley Airport). We lived in a Coseley Building (aluminium prefab) just outside Pprt Stanley and had a company Landrover.

We loved the Kelper’s community habit of impromptu home visits offering help and friendship, no TV and the wired radio. Weather was usually windy and wet but the occasional sunny, still, blue sky days are still memorable; as are the epic journeys into the camp (marshy/rocky countryside) for the excellent freshwater fishing. We really got into the wildlife, The Globe pub and the Royal Marine detachment’s bar.

After nearly 3 years we returned to the UK via a month-long tour through Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Venezuela and Trinidad. I suspect that much of this has changed since the war which I understand included the Argies’ indiscriminate mining of Cape Pembroke’s beautiful sandy beaches. But hopefully, not too much.

Next in line - schooling and internet connection? Car included?
I would imagine the school is pretty good as most of the amenities are. Don't know about the internet, but again I would imagine it's pretty good. As for a car............the only metaled roads are in Port Stanley (unless it's changed dramatically) A landy is the minimum requirement for anywhere in the camp (that's what the locals call anywhere outside Stanley) and a good mate in FIGAS (Falkland Island Government Air Sevice) is handy if you want to get to West Falkland.
Although the Falklands is at the outer reaches of the planet, I seem to recall that what they have is very good in terms of amenities and technology. The main thing that would be different from where @Fang_Farrier is living now, is you can't just hop in the car and drive to Inverness for the day!

4 years is a big ask imho, 37 years since i was there,i would guess its changed for the better, given your profession you will soon get to know everyone and thier dog, the big one for me would be getting to see south america i'm sure theres air routes there now

Dwarf

LE
I know it's not really Op Corporate but it is in the area!

There's a job being advertised that has sounds interesting but it is based in the Falkland Islands.

Anybody ant experience of actually living and working there and would you recommend it.

I was never posted there myself but my father did a tour back in early 80s just after conflict so his stories are a little dated and it's hard to ask him since he passed away!

It would be a 4 year fixed contract working directly for Falkland Island Government.
What's the contract? I have an Ex RE mate living there and he is less than happy with the FIG and their workings. If you are not a Ben, Native-born Islander you can find yourself in second place. Many jobs are reserved for them if only unofficially.
I could put you in contact with him for a first-hand view if you like. PM me.

In Peter de le Billiere’s book he said his family spent time on the outer hebs (Uists/Benbecula), before a posting to FI, as this was said to be very similar.

I’ve never been to the Falklands, but have spent time on the Uists, it’s very calming and good to get out, but it is very bleak and as you drive back onto the mainland you realise you missed trees.

Dwarf

LE
4 years is a big ask imho, 37 years since i was there,i would guess its changed for the better, given your profession you will soon get to know everyone and thier dog, the big one for me would be getting to see south america i'm sure theres air routes there now
According to mate you have to go via Puenta Arenas in the South of Chile then up to Santiago and only a couple of times a week. Otherwise it's Crab Air back to the UK.
There was talk of a route to Montevideo, don't know if that's reality or wishful thinking.

Mind as the others have said, the Islands are lovely with lots of wildlife, like the Orkneys in a way and the temperature/weather the same. He loves the islands, but isn't in love with the islanders. Mind he's been there for well over twenty years so he is almost one.

According to mate you have to go via Puenta Arenas in the South of Chile then up to Santiago and only a couple of times a week. Otherwise it's Crab Air back to the UK.
There was talk of a route to Montevideo, don't know if that's reality or wishful thinking.

Mind as the others have said, the Islands are lovely with lots of wildlife, like the Orkneys in a way and the temperature/weather the same. He loves the islands, but isn't in love with the islanders. Mind he's been there for well over twenty years so he is almost one.
FIG will fly you crab air.

A lad i joined up with did 7 tours, we have a lot of ex RAF at work some who PVR ed at idea of a FI irip

Latest Threads