Working in Singapore

Think about it from a different angle, especially if you have kids involved. It's only 18 months, not a long time in the grand scheme of things. Wrenching kids away from their friends and home is pretty tough. A new school syllabus (for a short while) and different ways of teaching will be tough on them.
You could leave the family at home, you go home every few weeks. They travel to you for the big holidays for their big holidays! SG is ideally situated for Far East locations and travel is very cheap. No upheaval for them, Wife can be chatted to on skype every day, no need to change address with all the hassle involved in accounts and cards. Leave UK insurance (including car) running so no breaks and loss of NCD.

I did 4.5 years in Dubai sans family, it had tough moments but we made it work.

Seadog

ADC
I’ve lived there and I loved it but then, I wasnt paying!

Friendly, good order, clean. Even the Muslims are happy.

Seadog

ADC
The late, great Lee Kuan Yew took Singapore from third world to first in one generation. He was flipping awesome.

Good Morning All.

I previously posted a similar question regarding working in China and the response was enough to put me off following up on the approach.

Same question but different location. I have just being sounded out to see if I would be willing to relocate to Singapore for an 18 month contract.

Does anyone have any recent experience of working out in Singers? What are the taxation regime, quality of life, accommodate standards like etc, etc? What additional questions should I be asking?

TIA

P-T
Yep, you'll get the cane if you post your letters through the wrong letterboxes, maybe not the best move for a twit.

merchantman

War Hero
I came back to the UK in November last year after 3 years in Singapore. I loved it. Income tax is low, as has been said 15-22% however tax on beer is high, a pint of Guinness anywhere from S$12 to S$22, not to bad if you drink in the right plces but very expensive in the trendy CBD bars. Accomodation is also expensive but gets cheaper the further from the centre of town you live. A 2 bed appartment in the CBD was about S$5,000 pcm but a lot cheaper if you were happy to commute. Public transport is very good and very cheap buses and MRT will take you most places Taxis also relativly cheap. I was on my own so cannot comment on schools some colleagues did have school kids who went to private schools and paid for it though cann say how much I doubt it was cheap. Some people lived, and sent their kids to school over the causeway in Malaysia which was cheaper but left a longer comute.

The late, great Lee Kuan Yew took Singapore from third world to first in one generation. He was flipping awesome.
But these days you would consider him as a dictator...just like a lot people would consider (though they are probably right) the Chinese leaders dictators, even if they pulled out of their country of poverty into relative low to middle income wages for most people.

Think about it from a different angle, especially if you have kids involved. It's only 18 months, not a long time in the grand scheme of things. Wrenching kids away from their friends and home is pretty tough. A new school syllabus (for a short while) and different ways of teaching will be tough on them.
You could leave the family at home, you go home every few weeks. They travel to you for the big holidays for their big holidays! SG is ideally situated for Far East locations and travel is very cheap. No upheaval for them, Wife can be chatted to on skype every day, no need to change address with all the hassle involved in accounts and cards. Leave UK insurance (including car) running so no breaks and loss of NCD.

I did 4.5 years in Dubai sans family, it had tough moments but we made it work.
I'm currently working in Holland and the separation isn't working for us.

Rab_C

War Hero
Of LKY

I wouldn’t. Authoritarian yes, dictator no. Certainly not compatible with snowflakes who couldn’t point to Singapore on a map.
Looking at his suppression of freedom of speech and control of the press I think the distinction between dictator and authoritarian gets a bit blurred, however you can’t knock the results. The dynasty continues......

Latest Threads