Working in Singapore

Good Morning All.

I previously posted a similar question regarding working in China and the response was enough to put me off following up on the approach.

Same question but different location. I have just being sounded out to see if I would be willing to relocate to Singapore for an 18 month contract.

Does anyone have any recent experience of working out in Singers? What are the taxation regime, quality of life, accommodate standards like etc, etc? What additional questions should I be asking?

TIA

P-T

Ex GF currently living there and running a business with her husband. Must be making money or they'd still be in Oz. The time I spent there was OK. Liked the cleanliness but they drive like cunts and the island gets bloody small after a few weeks. Food is good and pretty good value if you avoid the tourist spots and stick to the food courts. Quality of life overall is what you make it, but it's nice to get away every few weeks according to colleagues who were based there.

Can't say about the taxation. Worked there as expat for four week tours, mainly on standby.

Ex GF currently living there and running a business with her husband. Must be making money or they'd still be in Oz. The time I spent there was OK. Liked the cleanliness but they drive like cunts and the island gets bloody small after a few weeks. Food is good and pretty good value if you avoid the tourist spots and stick to the food courts. Quality of life overall is what you make it, but it's nice to get away every few weeks according to colleagues who were based there.

Can't say about the taxation. Worked there as expat for four week tours, mainly on standby.
Just done a bit of research on taxation. Very, very low.

Between 15 - 22%

Brilliant

Good but on the expensive side.

As it's an 18 month contract, bite the bullet and go for it.
Thank you. Just waiting on confirmation whether or not accommodation will be included. I think this may be the deal breaker.

Do you have any experience of the education set up out there as I'll be taking my family with me. Thanks.

Colleagues took their families when based there. Couple of good schools around and the American School there is well regarded. As Dooku says, booze is a bit eye watering. Used to be a place on Clark Quay called Brew Worx that made utterly foul beer but better than Tiger for the most part. A jug of two litres was around Sing$30 for Tiger back then, probably double that now. The 'craft' stuff around Sing$50 a jug.

Colleagues took their families when based there. Couple of good schools around and the American School there is well regarded. As Dooku says, booze is a bit eye watering. Used to be a place on Clark Quay called Brew Worx that made utterly foul beer but better than Tiger for the most part. A jug of two litres was around Sing$30 for Tiger back then, probably double that now. The 'craft' stuff around Sing$50 a jug.
I've suddenly become tea total!

Mike Barton

War Hero
If your accommodation and education for the kids is included in the package then yes it would be worth it, if not you could find yourself barely breaking even. As regards quality of life for 18 months you should be able to hack it but you could be bored witless, it's pretty much just a shopping mall in which five million people live packed close together. It's clean, it's well run, it's crime free, it's all those things but holy crap it's boring. The best thing that can be said about it is that you are only a couple of hours' flight away from Thailand or Indonesia or Vietnam or somewhere interesting where you can find out the real Asia and not the pre-packed, cellophane-wrapped, sterilised version. Malaysia is also just across the causeway.

I've suddenly become tea total!
Check out the exchange rate. I think the Sing Dollah was around 1/3 to 1/2 the USD back then IIRC. Still pricey by SA standards but maybe better if you're a Brit and used to expensive booze. I think hard liquor is seriously dear though.

These are the blokes. I see they have some competition with other breweries in the city, so maybe not so bad after all, although a slab is just short of Sing$200 in their shop.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Accommodation is expensive, American School is good, we have a nephew who lives near to it. Singaporeans all flock over to JB at weekends for some action, hence 5 hours queues on the Causeway

Blogg

LE
What they said.

It's OK but after a grand total of 7 weeks In Singapore spread over a couple of years no desire to go back.

If you are getting accommodation and schooling allowances fine. If not, do the research and your maths very carefully.

What they said.

It's OK but after a grand total of 7 weeks In Singapore spread over a couple of years no desire to go back.

If you are getting accommodation and schooling allowances fine. If not, do the research and your maths very carefully.

My ex who just moved to Myanmar (Burma) as a teacher (she was always one), now gets about 40% more net than what she used to earn in London. Accom, transport and few other things are paid for by the international school. Not SING, but just wanted to put a comment in here. I mean a free massive 1 bedroom apartment for herself -- imagine how much that would cost you in London.

Rab_C

War Hero
If you’re living there and not drinking in westernised places booze isn’t so bad. Supermarkets or hawker centres and you can get cheap beer but spirits and wine are a different matter. Public transport and taxis are good value and cover most places you’ll need to go however, do you want to do your weekly shop using the bus? Most good ex pat packages will include a car.

Chop

Clanker
Living here now for 10 yrs,

Tax i think is about 7-8% unless super rich.

Car: can get a 2nd hand one with 2-3 yrs left on coe for about 14k cash then loan/insurance parking etc can be about 1k a month for the rest of it 10yr life.
but certainly dont need a car,

the "singapore is boring' phrase is not quite true.
If sporty then there is a lot to do. cycling running trail running,. sailing wakeboarding cable ski, triathlons , marathons. and its never too cold...just too hot!
If cultural there are always plays, shows, concerts etc.
A lot of ww2 history to visit / research / investigate.
its very easy to roll out the its boring line if no imagination.
but yes you are very close to bintan.batam, for quick day trips etc. malaysia as well (desaru etc)

There is an excess of condos at the moment so easy to get quite a good deal on them. if one is advertised at 5k a month you should be able to get it at least for low 4k.
East side is better than the central/west
holland village an expat enclave so avoid... or not depending on your thoughts.

schooling - no idea. i have 2 dogs. Not the most dog friendly place.

pints can be 18-20 dollarss, but that is not the norm. usually about 10-15$
happy hours etc bring that down.,
can get an ok bottle of wine in supermkt for $25-30 - less good ones for $20
can eat in hawker centers for $3-12
Buying meat super expensive, but there are a couple of meat butchers that are very good value. (foodie market, meat collective)

might write some more later!

Chop

Clanker
If you’re living there and not drinking in westernised places booze isn’t so bad. Supermarkets or hawker centres and you can get cheap beer but spirits and wine are a different matter. Public transport and taxis are good value and cover most places you’ll need to go however, do you want to do your weekly shop using the bus? Most good ex pat packages will include a car.
weekly shop can be delivered. im not sure i know anyone who doesnt do their grocery shopping online and get it delivered.

Mike Barton

War Hero
Oddly having done most of my SE Asia drinking in Indonesia I have no complaints about the price of booze in Singapore. A ferry trip across to the duty-free zone of Batam should see you alright though for home consumption.

Latest Threads