Working in Kenya

I'm considering bidding on a project to do some work for the government (not an NGO) in Kenya. I'll do site surveys for a couple of weeks but then write up from home in UK, travelling out to present reports.
I've never been there and don't know anyone who has worked there so looking for some idea of what the locals are like to work with. My impression is that they all have sticky fingers and bribery is endemic but that's not how I work. I'm hoping that when you sit with them they're open and don't hold back on how things work.

Thanks for any inside info/tips :)

I'm considering bidding on a project to do some work for the government (not an NGO) in Kenya. I'll do site surveys for a couple of weeks but then write up from home in UK, travelling out to present reports.
I've never been there and don't know anyone who has worked there so looking for some idea of what the locals are like to work with. My impression is that they all have sticky fingers and bribery is endemic but that's not how I work. I'm hoping that when you sit with them they're open and don't hold back on how things work.

Thanks for any inside info/tips :)
Happy to help. PM

Old-Salt
Do you mean the UK government or the Kenyan?

The implications of the Bribery Act apply to you. Some guidance here:

Para 44 on "Facilitation Payments" will interest you!

Do you mean the UK government or the Kenyan?

The implications of the Bribery Act apply to you. Some guidance here:

Para 44 on "Facilitation Payments" will interest you!
I mean I'll be doing some work for the Kenyan government. Their Tender already goes into some detail about bribery, as I say I don't do bribery. I was thinking more like having to put 50 shillings in your passport or get messed around for hours etc.

Work/visa status, incountry tax and money up front...

'dash' isn't bribery. It is a 'facilitation fee'.
Speeds things up tremendously when you offer to buy the chap a cooldrink, 'as it is really hot today'.
US$5 bills are favourite.
Sad, but true.

Speeds things up tremendously when you offer to buy the chap a cooldrink, 'as it is really hot today'.
Sad, but true.
Thanks.

Was over there in December. Amazed at the amount of projects/builds being advertised in the national papers.

Poverty and wealth living next each other.

The few Kenyans , white, I spoke to we’re all under 40 . Warned about going “up north” but the rest was much safer.

As stated , I’m sure a few “handshakes” maybe under a table will greatly Enhance any bids made.

I believe @Badger_Heed is a bit of an authority on “working in Kenya”.
Could be getting him confused with another poster though.

Was over there in December. Amazed at the amount of projects/builds being advertised in the national papers.

Poverty and wealth living next each other.

The few Kenyans , white, I spoke to we’re all under 40 . Warned about going “up north” but the rest was much safer.

As stated , I’m sure a few “handshakes” maybe under a table will greatly Enhance any bids made.
No I don't do bribes, if I go there I'll already be on the project. I'll be working at airports so will stay very close by, especially Eldoret and Lokichoggio.

No I don't do bribes, if I go there I'll already be on the project. I'll be working at airports so will stay very close by, especially Eldoret and Lokichoggio.
I liked Loki. Stayed in a resort in a Toukol.

I’ve never had a problem getting through with a visa. But I still think an East African Visa is the way to go, presumably you’re claiming for the visa?

I liked Loki. Stayed in a resort in a Toukol.

I’ve never had a problem getting through with a visa. But I still think an East African Visa is the way to go, presumably you’re claiming for the visa?
Not thought about it yet, not decided on filling in all the paperwork for the job. Depends on whether the money is right.

Sad, but true.
In Kenya, 'dash' is known as 'chai' (tea), so if you're asked a question which includes the word, you know where the conversation's going.

Sad, but true.
Unfortunately neither The Bribery Act nor the US Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act allow facilitation fees. The latter is significant if one subsequently wishes to work for a US owned company....

Not a chance in hell. Chai kidogo is a way of life throughout Africa, at every level, and in some of the most unexpected situations. I was amazed on arrival in Botswana not to have some grated off my wallet, but later, on my first traffic violation, there it was (traffic cops are always fat).

Strangely the most (apparently) honest policeman I ever met was in Zimbabwe, working at the Beitbridge station. I tried to lure him away to work for me but he felt that he had to do the Job, and explained his reasons at length over coffee and cookies; the money wasn't what drove him, it seems. The least honest was the Chief Security Officer I hired, impressed by his former rank of Inspector General of Police in Tanzania. He tried to kill me, to protect the criminal network he'd built up from the day he arrived. His predecessor (ex Tz Secret Service...) raped all six of my female searchers.

Latest Threads