Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working in Bosnia - Civilian Contractor

ruggedscot

Swinger
I thought it would be good to write up my Bosnian experiences - Yes I know not in the army but was as good as. I saw an advert from Turner FM in the Daily Record back in 97. Looking for electricians joiners and plumbers for Bosnia. So I applied and attended an interview up at Turner HQ in Glasgow. Got offered the job as an electrician and then had sorted out my resignation form what I was doing at the time. Was a good billet as they say decent money a bonus if you were in Bosnia and all food accommodation and laundry done.

I flew from Glasgow down to Gatwick then out to Zagreb and down to Split. Then upcountry by helicopter to Banja Luka. Was sat in Gatwick with a few others and Im thinking what the hell have I done. Bosnia. One of the guys going out saw me and said that its ok - Anyways just needed to say Im out and they would have me back to the UK pretty quickly.

Banja Luka was ok well actually pretty good after I had been thinking it was going to be much worse than what it was. The factory was a mess back in 97 but it was a functional mess. lots of good people during my stay there and it was an experience. we could scram at the junior ranks or the officers mess depending on where we wanted to eat. so it was paper plates against china. lol he food was pretty good where ever you went and of course there were the snack boxes that you could get aswell. However the electrics scared me. the army temp installations were okay but the local stuff that was a nightmare.

I remember the senior ranks mess being condemed due to gas install being suspect. so we had to electrify the cook house - install range ovens mixers and all that a functional mess required. That was interesting. There were a few things that it taught me working there and it was a learning curve.

Our accommodation block was at the north east corner of the metal factory beside the medical unit. We'd a corimec split in two so we had a bit of privacy. The compound was weatherised so we had wood roofs set up and we could go between our lounge and toilet bedrooms without getting soaked. a great we living accomodation and of course every weekend our communal area turned into the infamous turner bar.

I have fond memories of the bar and great times that were had. Came up to my leave and I re
turned to the UK for four weeks and then back to Bosnia for the rest of my tour. I got back but was moved to Sipovo. To the turners compound there - that was much more laid back. Again similar had a communal area that turned to a disco at the weekend. still it was a good laugh and again the people were great.

Great little bar the Turners bar. Visited it once or twice, but no more, cos invites were like rocking horse shite

ruggedscot

Swinger
Aye I meant was not in the army but may as well as been as it was near enough the same living conditions. Lot of respect for the Army and seeing what it was like first hand wouldnt run anyone down....

ruggedscot

Swinger
Just some snaps - Im sure I have a snap of that Avery I need to find it - story about that one not allowed cats or dogs but they disint say nowt about birds.... lol

Attachments

• img200.jpg
    img200.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 246
  • img197.jpg
    img197.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Bosnia131.jpg
    Bosnia131.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
  • img278.jpg
    img278.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Bosnia110.jpg
    Bosnia110.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Bosnia120.jpg
    Bosnia120.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 256
  • img265.jpg
    img265.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 248

Tallshort

War Hero
You should have seen the metal factory in 96, more than basic, we installed the first shower units there but forgot to tell the 2LI lads they were working and enjoyed piping hot showers while they were still using the puffing billys. (I was RE not civvi contractor)

When I went back in 98 there was an effi and everything all very posh and the food was better than we got back at our garrison at Hohne.

Planning a trip back to Bosnia hopefully this year or next. Going to spend a few days in Banja Luka so I can relive those happy days putting up corimec's.....

Tallshort

War Hero
Just some snaps - Im sure I have a snap of that Avery I need to find it - story about that one not allowed cats or dogs but they disint say nowt about birds.... lol
love the 20 regal king size on the bench and the corimec heater! was the photo of the valley on the road between Banja Luka and M'Grad?

ruggedscot

Swinger
Back in August 98 I was in a Landrover and the guy driving it drove into a truck that was parked up. I ended up in a bad way - bleed in the brain. The medics at Sipovo stabilized me and I was taken to Sarajevo as they had the only mri in theater and that revealed that I had a brain bleed. ended up being medivacced back to blighty where I had surgery to remove the clot. It was a grave time to come through and I appreciate all the help and assistance I received after the accident. Img298 was the camp boss David Hall. His eye popped out but thankfully was put back in. I dont remember much about the immediate aftermath of the accident other than waking up in Sarajevo very confused. The accident memories did however return back over the next few months and I had terrible issues with post traumatic episodes. such is life.

Attachments

• img298.jpg
    img298.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 137
  • img301.jpg
    img301.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

ruggedscot

Swinger
some more memories - loads kicking about - the barbeques were legend. especially when the locals were involved as they could get the slipovich ha ha ha. The avery picture is in here it was located outside and to the rear of our complex. The local joiner made it. The real use of the landrover pickup is revealed - stock collection before the weekend bar opens.

Attachments

• img285.jpg
    img285.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 131
  • img249.jpg
    img249.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 125
  • img195.jpg
    img195.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 119
  • img148.jpg
    img148.jpg