Working gun made with 3D printer

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by stinker, May 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It would have been better to have 3D printed a 8" vibrator.
  2. Everyone knows that to cope with the stresses inside an SLR the metal has to be forged in a dying sun.

Big news being made about this being the "first shot" fired from a printed gun, I watched a video on YouTube of a printed AR-15 being fired before. I gather the difference with this one is that it is entirely printed.

Sent via Tapatalk HD
  3. Yawn........tired thread made made by a 3D search machine dodger!
  4. .
    The printer costs five grand ... you could pick up a sawn off from dodgy Dave for 200 quid.
  5. They'd shit if they saw what you can make with a CNC machine.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Since hand guns are illegal in the UK are we going to see the British Government demanding the extradition of those who make the blue prints available on the net?
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Would a weapon made with a 3d printer evade a metal detector??

Sent from my Nexus 7
  8. If the cost of ink cartridges are taken into the cost it would be cheaper to buy a gun almost anywhere, apart from that I bet Windows can't find the printer drivers!!.
  9. 3D protoyping is usually done with methacrylate resins, I've never heard of ABS being used before. As it's a two phase plastic then polying in-situ by blue-light induced free-radical would strain the competence of most of us. ABS is not that strong so even the .22 shown would need an enormous chamber and barrel cross section.

Essentially, a load of bollocks...