Working for Yourself?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by guns_r_us, Mar 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left the service in Feb 2005 and started working for myself, from home; I work in association with a larger company. We are looking for great people who would like to work from home, being self employed (i.e. the guy you slag off for f**king up is in the mirror). The larger company is doing big bucks, $2.1 Billion worth of it and in the UK we've experienced 25% growth in 2 years.

If you're like me that meant absolutely nothing, so I went and took a look anyway.

Whether you want to bin what you're doing right now or wrap this attractively around your existing job (which stands for Just Over Broke) - it's your call. We are simply looking for open minded people who have great skills for teachability and how to pass that on.

Take a look at this web Teamwork and see if it flips your switch; if it does then PM me and we'll do something about it, if not then that's great too - maybe you know someone who is looking for something like this.

3 things this is not: a get rich quick thing, a pyramid thing or a free sex circle.

It's a serious offer to take a look at an interesting business, agreed it may not be everyone's cup of tea; but the thing about money is that it is up there with oxygen as a need!

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

2. Yeah but what do you do ? actually ? that website is a bit vague

3. Try looking under the Our Products tab.

They sell Aloe Vera stuff.

A bit like Avon but with a load of technobabble to make it sound better. IMHO!

4. Sounds like AMWAY!

5. My neighbour does this. Alot of expensive products all containg alo vera. She also tries to get other people to sell for her i.e Pyramid selling!!!

6. Define 'pyramid selling' - given that it was made illegal in 1970 and this business is turning over $2.4 Billion worldwide.

7. Pyramid selling is a fraud. It is a mechanism by which promoters of so-called "investment" or "trading" schemes enrich themselves in a geometric progression through the payments made by recruits to such schemes. Related deceitful schemes have been described in various international jurisdictions as "chain letters," "snow balls," "chain selling," "money games," "referral selling," and "investment lotteries".

does that help

ref A Discussion Paper Presented by
    WORLD FEDERATION OF DIRECT SELLING ASSOCIATIONS

8. Interesting that the website declines to directly answer the question:

"Q: Is this pyramid selling?

A: Pyramid selling is illegal! Under the Fair Trading Act of 1973 it is recognised as Class 1 fraud and is punishable with a custodial sentence. Any hierarchy, be it government, corporate, church or military, is pyramidal in shape. In Network Marketing the person at the top isn’t necessarily the one making the most money. Everyone starts from the same point and reaps the rewards in direct proportion to the amount of effort they put in."

Is that a yes or a no?

9. For general consumption this is not pyramid selling.

Network Marketing is a business model that has been around for decades and now many companies use it to move their products (e.g. Virgin, Microsoft, Tiscali, Body Shop, etc). It is a misunderstood business model because some companies have behaved disreputably and some people have been 'stung' or they just weren't successful, thus they propogated the myth that it is a scam.

The general replies I see on this thread aren't really condusive to being open minded about this business; I've found that those leadership and training skills I developed in the service are a fantastic aid to what I do now - which is help people escape from being a 9 to 5 wage slave.

If you want to take an open minded look then go for it - if you want to cynically slag it off, equally go for it.

In my ivory tower I'm quite happy to accommodate all comers.

10. Can confirm this, Mrs Counterstrike bought a load of this from a London market, seriously dented my wallet! :cry:

Would love to say it was worth it, but alas...

11. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We've had a number of cases of people trying to place ads for Forever Living Products (FLP) in the jobs, links and classified ads sections. By nature I'm a cynic so I did some research and came across the following independent, non-profit making site which examines the whole concept of Multi-Level/Network Marketing. This includes both Amway & FLP.

I'd strongly recommend anyone planning on engaging in this sort of venture to do similar research.

From a personal point of view, I always say that if it looks too good to be true then it almost certainly is!

12. So lets have the meat and gravy.

How many hours do you work ? Week or day?

Who many people do you buy from? ... and sell too?

how much do you make a year?

What is Aloe Vera(apart from a greeting on Corres)

Description: A large succulent perennial plant growing up to 1.5 metres in height, with a strong fibrous root and a large stem supporting a rosette of narrow lanceolate leaves up to 60cm long. The leaves are whitish green on both sides and bear spiny teeth on the margins. The yellow to purplish drooping flowers grow in a long raceme at the top of the flower stalk. The fruit is a triangular capsule containing numerous seeds. It is native to East and South Africa and cultivated in the West Indies and other tropical areas.

Actions: Aloes: Stimulating laxative, purgative, cathartic, choleretic, emmenagogue, uterine stimulant, abortifacient, anthelmintic. Gel: soothing and healing to damaged tissues

Or you could drink lots of water - for less.

Just cos some tw*ts selling horse sh*t it don't mean its good for you.

13. BC link broke

14. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

More useful sites:

1. here, and
    2. here.

15. A clear and concise description of the following would be very useful

1. What do you actually sell?
    2. How do you sell it?
    3. Does it cost anything, and I mean anything (stock, stationery, training, consultancy etc) where the fees for the item or service are paid directly to the company prior to the "recruit" beginning to trade?
    4. Do the people that you recruit directly contribute to your own income via a commission paid to you based on their sales?
    5. Do they then earn a commission for people that they recruit, a portion of which is paid to you as the first recruiter?
    6. If the answer to 3 and 4 is yes (and there are only two possible answers), then please explain how it is not MLM. If there is one man at the top, 2 underneath him, 4 underneath them etc, etc then it's a bloody pyramid, regardless of the legal definition.

I get sent vaguely worded dross that dodges the actual methods of selling used every week at work. Funnily enough it all sounds similar to the diatribe on the FLP website.

I, by the way, am very open minded when it comes to making money, have looked at many of these types of schemes, rejected them all without feeling any loss and get to live with myself after. Instead I started a real business and made fcuking bucket loads.

The last "honest it's not a pyramid women empowering women" scam that ran locally netted the top 2% of the pyramid aver 250K in just over 6 months and that was in the Midlands alone. Multiply that by the rest of the population of the UK and then the world and you come to an interesting fact. Just because someone at the top makes a load of money doesn't mean that the venture is viable as a business. Look at Amways turnover and sales and then ask yourself, have you ever actually personally met anyone that has made money out of it?

A £2B turnover means bugger all worldwide without a clearly defined, well laid out and factual business plan explaining exactly what it is you expect people to get into. Apparently the Cali Mafia made $8 Billion last year, doesn't mean I'd want to go and work for them.

I agree with BCO. If it looks too good to be true, then there's probably some cnut behind you trying to take your money.