Working for the Post Office

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by usmarox, Jul 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have an job interview at the Post Office on Friday. I've had a quick look on Arrse and on the Royal Mail website, but I couldn't find anything about their policy on reservists. Anyone here work for them?

I'm aware of the driver's hours thing, but it's a non-driving job, so that's not a drama.

Any help gladly recieved,

2. One of our blokes is a posty and he has no dramas with being in the TA.

Not a great responce, but hopefully of some use.

3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

From BBC - TA soldiers wear uniforms to work

If they let the lad do that, they can't be too STAB-unfriendly.

4. Happy with that, guys. Thanks.

I realise it depends a lot on the local management, but it's good to know there's some support there. Still, I declared it on my application, so as you say, if I've got an interview it can't bother them that much.

5. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

The Post Office are pretty good, they give you two weeks paid leave on top of your annual leave entitlement to attend annual camp and another few days unpaid leave if you need to leave early to travel away for weekends, that's in their policy. The policy is pretty much geared up toward to postie regiment (RLC) with it having the extra days unpaid leave to travel to Grantham for their weekends, but the policy applies to all serving reservists.

PM me if you haveany specific questions.

6. 10 days paid, up to 9 days unpaid. The unpaid are supposed to be used for Friday/Monday for the CVHQ types.

7. Icecold - Check PMs.

8. Plus you'll have access to a rifle if you decide to 'Go Postal', everyone's a winner! :D (Except the people you shoot, obviously)

9. They seemed pretty positive about the TA at the interview today, and they did confirm the existence of the reserve forces policy. I didn't think it was a time to ask for specifics.

Should know whether I got the job by the end of next week.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Anyone remember the RN reservist called up from the Post office for GW1 who was sacked on return, his supervisor was called Hussain and he didnt even leave the country but spent 12 weeks painting road signs in Pompey?