Working During Terminal Leave

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by CHENMP, Nov 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been offered a job with The FCO starting on Jan 09 06. However my last day in the army is 22 Mar 06. Does any one know if i can work during teminal leave and use my civiliian work attachment for the 5 week induction cse.

i Know that i can apply to leave the Army 3 months early without losing any pension rights . .

But as i am currently living in a married quarter and looking for a house how long will they allow me to remain in the quarter.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Well mate it isn't straightforward, but...

You have 2 options:

You can say nothing to the army and ask your new employer to pay you expenses for the period involved. Being the FCO they will probably say a big 'non monsieur'.

Or you can ask your COs permission to take up additional employment, just like you can anyway. Probably the best way to go but a bit more messing about.

Good luck.

3. You can work whilst still serving with your CO's permission.

I did my last six month's near were I was going to be living. Started my civilian job in September 1996 & didn't actually leave the Army until the end of the October.

Watch out for the tax man though as he will sting you (leave some funds in reserve).

Good luck 8)
    Charging Lancer

4. There was a SNCO who took up a job in Iraq during his terminal leave - he was killed. Now I believe that this got a bit complicated - no terminal benefits as he hadn't completed his 22 and as he wasn't killed in service, the wife/family benefits were less etc.

Get permission or be very careful.

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Both myself and my brother worked during terminal leave with no issues raised.

You are leaving, you are out of their area of interest and more importantly if they were to raise an objection they would open themselves to an accusation of interfering with your future employability which would scare them witless because of the bad publicity and the restriction of trade inplications.

They do not have a leg to stand on.

6. Don't know if it's still the same now, but when I got out, and was still living in my quarter, I got my eviction notice as per, and then became an "Irregular Occupant" (IIRC). Just had to pay full rent until I bought a house. Stayed in the quarter for three months in the end with no hassle.

7. currently working during my last 3 months in, fill in an application for secondary employment, you are then covered, and as previously stated Mr Browns taxmen will have their pound or two of flesh!!!

8. have been offered a job with The FCO starting on Jan 09 06. However my last day in the army is 22 Mar 06. Does any one know if i can work during teminal leave and use my civiliian work attachment for the 5 week induction cse.

i Know that i can apply to leave the Army 3 months early without losing any pension rights . .

But as i am currently living in a married quarter and looking for a house how long will they allow me to remain in the quarter.

Thanks for any advice.

Hello CHENMP if you have a good boss he will let you go work for the company that wants to employ you. I had a great boss I was due out in July this year but had a job offer in Kabul in March. Boss said go for it so I did. Came back after 3 months cleared sorted. I am now in full time employment in the asshole of the universe but what the hell the money is great.

Hope it all works out

Cheers

Tazzer

9. Sorry CHENMP my wife stayed in the quarter till my last day in the Army usually you have to move out a month before I believe. Make sure you five the housing office plenty notice as some of them are right awkward twats.

Good Luck

Tazzer

10. Chenmp,
    RE the quarters, only last month a friend of mind did exactly what adjustable did, ie stayed in MSQ after his discharge and became an iregular occupant and had to pay ' Mesne Profits' (rent).

RE the work aspect. I did what alot of the other posters here did, got the CO's permission. If you pay the maximum NI contributions, which most SNCO's proberbly do then your new employer will also deduct the maximum contribution. When I left the maximum that you could pay in 1 year was 13 mths. You have to wait for the end of the tax year and write to the DSS at Washington with your P60's and they will refund your excess.

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I worked during 'gardening leave' before my terminal leave started, no problems.
    Had my own house so no problems there either.

12. Suppose I was lucky on this one. The only place I could do a resettlement course was with the people I was going to. They agreed to 'conduct' a resettlement course and off I went. Naturally, I missed out on terminal leave etc, but the new outfit did give me time off to move into new home, settle the family etc. Probably helped that my new boss was an ex-booty and knew the form.

13. I know this isn't strictly related but does anyone have any experiance of doing their final medical abroad? I have emigrated to the land down under but it looks like I will have to return to the UK "not more than 8 weeks" before my discharge date. To complete my final medical. Any advice?

14. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

I worked all of my terminal leave, and had the opportunity to start earlier. I left my MQ on my first day as a civvie :lol: :lol: needless to say they didn't pursue me for any "damages" which was not too bad considering I had burned the garage down :lol: :lol:
    By the time you are on terminal leave the army doesn't give a millionth of a shti neither should you.

15. Working during terminal leave is (or at least when I left it was ) fine

I was in the Police for about a week of mine.