Working Class Britain

Anyone see it on CH4 tonight, I thought it was well made, the presenter was well informed being a working class wallah come good himself, his point about the media making the working class become described as "pikey-chav scum" is all too true, we all laugh and point fingers at the chavs but isn't that what most of us are really anyway? chav = white working class

Gah, you wouldn't catch me dead in a stripey cap and knitware!

However I do feel that as a working class white Christian male, I seem to be at a strange disadvantage - no Government quota increasing my chances of employment or job promotion for example.

Which is more or less what was being driven at, we've been eradicated from the history books "from salt of the earth to scum of the earth" was a phrase used methinks

Whatever do chavs have to do with working class Britain? I would stake my gonads on the fact that there isn't a chav family in the nation that doesn't survive on benefits. They're an underclass; parasitic and without pride, bugger all to do with the working class.

Awol said:
Whatever do chavs have to do with working class Britain? I would stake my gonads on the fact that there isn't a chav family in the nation that doesn't survive on benefits. They're an underclass; parasitic and without pride, bugger all to do with the working class.
And guaranteed to remain so by the current powers that be, I sometimes wish i did not work all my life so i could have a better car bigger house and go on holidays more often!

there is more snobbery amongst the working class

There is a majority of people in this country that can claim benefits. If your household income is below £50k then you can claim. You've paid the tax, get back what you can from Smiling Gordon.

Chavs are not working class - since they have no concept of pride in your work and in yourself. They are self-indulgent pillocks who have nothing better to do than loiter in small gangs (or thickets), and compare notes on what they can steal next.

Although there are many gypsies and "chavs" in my area, I think that coating them all with the pariah and social deviant's brush is unjustified.

Some of the ones I have met have been very courteous, verging on deferential, hard workers and take care of their elders. It's only the odd one or two which really make the headlines in my area which tar the others.

Personally would like to see more tolerance and integration and less finger pointing on all sides.

Because theyre still benefit scrounging chavs, who break into cars, burgle houses, attack members of the public, burn rubbish bins,

I dont know where you found these 'nice' chavs or whoever you refer to.

Are there a lot of them in your Journalist's office?

By definition 'Chavs' are little fatherless's who like to break/steal and generally terrorise the local area. Any nice chavs are not chavs at all.

Am not a journalist but it's common sense that we can't keep up this "us and them" feud forever. What will we achieve?

My understanding of the origin of the word "chav" was from the Romany "friend". Like it or not, they are here to stay and I'm of the view that the constant friction would be greatly reduced if both sides could exercise a little more tolerance and a little less finger pointing.

I like your idea, but its fundamentally floored!

Chavs arn't working class, you have to work to be working class, and by general definition, chavs don't work.

I have no problem with household income U50K taking benefits, however, households with no income getting more benifits that my family does when both of us work full time and have to pay for nursery and the like, then there is something wrong, very wrong!

They should be made to do something that earn it, even if its just becoming dusmens assistants, picking up the stuff that hardworking dustmen don't want to!

I hate the fact that people just constantly take advantage and see it as thir right to do so and s1ss it up the wall. Benifits were there for a reason, for those who really needed it, not those who take it becuase they can't be bothered to earn their own cash and have no pride in providing for your family.

........and, breathe out.......

OS

Here we go again..... I should really save this somewhere and cut and paste it the next time this little chestnut comes up again.

First of all it's worth pointing out that not all Chavs are on the dole. In fact they tend to say the same thing about "tree hugging hippies" - They're all dole scrounging bastards wot cant afford to dress proper. Believe it or don't.

And then the main point, despite what you read in the popular press there are less people claiming benefit now than at anytime in the last 20 odd years. Although there are significantly more than any official figures will immediately reveal. Aside from those who are temporarily part of that figure, what remains are a hardcore who are quite possibly second or third generation members of the "benefit economy". For as long as this nation has a welfare state, these people will be living off it. There is nothing, nothing that can be done about it. The one set of people who you can guarantee will meet all criteria and be capable of performing all necessary hoop-jumping conected with making a claim are those who make a profession of it. It's the genuine need cases who may not be able to, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a benefit sytem at all.

As far as "work for benefit" schemes go.... They don't work. Bottom line.
The cost of employing people to administer them, of policing the work done and of providing materials etc. to generate work where none exists far outweighs the cost of just paying the benefit. The New Deal system which operates currently for the long term unemployed is enormously expensive and due to the nature of it's operation, is widely abused. In short the scroungers aren't doing anything at all, those who are employed to administer the "work" are getting relatively rich and the odd poor sod with social problems is getting his benefit cut and ending up on the streets. And before you applaud that last note, it's my experience that a significant number of those who do get the shi**y end of that stick are ex-services....

"a hardcore who are quite possibly second or third generation members of the "benefit economy". For as long as this nation has a welfare state, these people will be living off it. There is nothing, nothing that can be done about it."

True Biscuits how true. I cum from an area in UK where these people are only to proud of this way of life. IT is always the governments fault that they are disadvantaged always some one eles fault.
john

Biscuits_Brown said:
Here we go again..... I should really save this somewhere and cut and paste it the next time this little chestnut comes up again.

First of all it's worth pointing out that not all Chavs are on the dole. In fact they tend to say the same thing about "tree hugging hippies" - They're all dole scrounging bastards wot cant afford to dress proper. Believe it or don't.

And then the main point, despite what you read in the popular press there are less people claiming benefit now than at anytime in the last 20 odd years. Although there are significantly more than any official figures will immediately reveal. Aside from those who are temporarily part of that figure, what remains are a hardcore who are quite possibly second or third generation members of the "benefit economy". For as long as this nation has a welfare state, these people will be living off it. There is nothing, nothing that can be done about it. The one set of people who you can guarantee will meet all criteria and be capable of performing all necessary hoop-jumping conected with making a claim are those who make a profession of it. It's the genuine need cases who may not be able to, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a benefit sytem at all.

As far as "work for benefit" schemes go.... They don't work. Bottom line.
The cost of employing people to administer them, of policing the work done and of providing materials etc. to generate work where none exists far outweighs the cost of just paying the benefit. The New Deal system which operates currently for the long term unemployed is enormously expensive and due to the nature of it's operation, is widely abused. In short the scroungers aren't doing anything at all, those who are employed to administer the "work" are getting relatively rich and the odd poor sod with social problems is getting his benefit cut and ending up on the streets. And before you applaud that last note, it's my experience that a significant number of those who do get the shi**y end of that stick are ex-services....

BB - I agree with all your points and accept that i may be following a bit of a narrow view about not including other scrounging f00kers in my rant, i apologise and shouldnn't be so scroungist!!! This is an all inclusive society.

In all serious though, you are right and work for benifit doesn't work properly and there will always be people taking the p1ss. It just erks me that people are far better off than me when not having to lift a finger and see it as their diving right. If i was at the stage foof having to be given handouts, i would be blo0dy grateful and try to got out of the situation asap, not just take it down the pub and wait for the next installment.

Is it our fault? Is it the case that "everyone else is doing so why shouldn't I" (recently heard in an argument on the subject with a family member) In todays society are we not demonstrating moral courage and honour enough that the younger generations are not understanding the need to stand on your own feet and not be a leech to society?

OS

And that is exactly the problem....
We created the society we live in and it was very largely the result of wishing to build a "land fit for heros" for our returning veterans. Like it or not, those heros were a "citizen army" made up of all levels of social strata in the country and some of them saw the opportunity to coin it from the new Welfare State.... Some of today's scroungers grand fathers possibly.

I've heard it said, although I'm not sure I entirely agree that the whole raison d'etre of the Welfare State was that the "ruling classes" were very worried about what might happen when thousands of young men who had recently trained to fight and indeed had been fighting were faced with the prospect of coming back to poverty, illness and possible homelessness. Especially with a potential enemy, not that far away, continuously preaching about revolution and the "power of the worker".

I'm not by any means a "Lefty" BTW, But it sounds plausible.

The solution to "Welfare Dependence" lies with making working a more attractive prospect, so attractive that you'd be stupid not to work. Without making benefits lower, as they're required by some people.

In fact...watch this for unpopular... I'd actually be in favour of raising the minimum level of benefit (single, childless person - income based) from it's current level of £53 a week.... Which is not, frankly, enough to live on.
And is at least part of the reason why you see so many little Waynes and Traceys appearing all over the country fathered and mothered by the last people you want to see being parents. The child is their meal ticket.

Latest Threads