Working civilian wives to regular soldiers. Joining sappers as a surveyor or geotech

Hi I am interested in joing the sappers as a surveyor or geotech. I know I will do my 14 weeks phase 1, then 9 weeks phase 2a and finally 27 weeks(surveyor) or 42 weeks(geo)phase 2b. Will I get much opportunity in this time to see my wife/go home?

As a surveyor or geotech would I be posted to specific engineering regiments or could I be posted anywhere?

My wife has a good full time job in Cambridge and I would hate for her to give it up just because I want to join the Army.

IF anyone has been or is in a similar situation I'd love to here any advice.

Thanks.

Hi I am interested in joing the sappers as a surveyor or geotech. I know I will do my 14 weeks phase 1, then 9 weeks phase 2a and finally 27 weeks(surveyor) or 42 weeks(geo)phase 2b. Will I get much opportunity in this time to see my wife/go home?

As a surveyor or geotech would I be posted to specific engineering regiments or could I be posted anywhere?

My wife has a good full time job in Cambridge and I would hate for her to give it up just because I want to join the Army.

IF anyone has been or is in a similar situation I'd love to here any advice.

Thanks.
How old are you and what are you doing now, job wise that is

All geotechs are part of 42 engineer regiment. The regiment is based in RAF Wyton, However, geotech will be posted to different units if required.

I'm 26 and me and my wife are working as accomodation service executives for the same company in Cambridge.

Are you a sapper?
No
I will give you a bit of advice
Joining any of the forces may stuff up your marriage, the forces is for a single man, think hard and long
before you decide to sign up
If you have a good job retrain while holding on to the job you have now.
That's my my pennies worth no doubt you will plenty of advice on this site
Good luck with what ever you do

No
I will give you a bit of advice
Joining any of the forces may stuff up your marriage, the forces is for a single man, think hard and long
before you decide to sign up
If you have a good job retrain while holding on to the job you have now.
That's my my pennies worth no doubt you will plenty of advice on this site
Good luck with what ever you do
I do appreciate your advice. Why do you think that marriages fail in the army? We don't have kids and probably won't. What about the reserves as an option?

I do appreciate your advice. Why do you think that marriages fail in the army? We don't have kids and probably won't. What about the reserves as an option?
I am going to get jumped on for this but here goes,
Most marriages that last in the forces is when the man is already in the forces when he gets married, the women knows what to expect, that being the man spending long periods away from home.
The wife of the man who is already married when he signs up is not used to the long periods he spends away from home and they drift apart
Of coarse there are exceptions

You appear to be asking questions with an agenda on extracting answers above and beyond life in the forces/recruiting .
Why don't you look at the reserves to see if you like what is offered and allow the army to see if they like what you offer?
Why don't you don't you look at re-training yourself on the civilian route to being a surveyor/geotech
Why don't troll elsewhere?

Why don't troll elsewhere?
Since when is it trolling to ask advice?

As Anglo said, army life can be tough for some wives, especially in this day and age of low manpower, lots of work, long tours, stress etc etc, added to that you may be posted a bit far from your missus and if she doesnt want to move your marriage then turns into a long distance relationship. That would strain any relationship after a while, no matter how solid.
Try the reserves and see how you go.

Since when is it trolling to ask advice?

As Anglo said, army life can be tough for some wives, especially in this day and age of low manpower, lots of work, long tours, stress etc etc, added to that you may be posted a bit far from your missus and if she doesnt want to move your marriage then turns into a long distance relationship. That would strain any relationship after a while, no matter how solid.
Try the reserves and see how you go.
Applying to join as a sapper. Geotech or surveyor advice?