working around old injury..Shoulder and stomach.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BaldBaBoon, Nov 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for a few suggestions on certain exercise's in areas where I am carrying some long term injuries.

Just improving my general cardio,stamina and health...looking pretty is genetically impossible for me, so no need for six-pack exercises.

Problem spots

Injury one is an inoperable Glenoid Labrum injury in the right side, the actual tendon has severed so it cannot be repaired with an exceptable chance of success.

This is a main dooby that stabilises your shoulder doing the initial movement during a bicep curl before the actual bicep takes over.....and also if you were lifting weights with your arm straight from waist to shoulder the front and to the sides, and also hurts like a sod in dips,and lifting weights above your head.

Been doing a lot of lightweight, high repetion stuff like medicine ball exercises, rotator cuff routines....and strangely enough it feels good when boxing training.

Hiatus Hernia,Got repaired years ago to improve my day to day life, but it is a severe weak point.Effectively its where the valve at the bottom of the foodpipe is supposed to close and keep your stomach contents and actual stomach below your diaphram.

Effect is when doing situps or crunches, you get a massive pressure build up that feels like you are coughing up a tennis ball.

I can do the machines where you do situps with weights, and sidelifts....but anything that involves crunching the stomach gets messy.

Yes, I know I should be put down.....but can anyone suggest something, or just crack on with what I am doing?
  2. hi, cant really offer you much on the stomach im afraid and as for the shoulder, you said yourself its a long term problem where youve been told surgery isnt an option so its now just a case of managing it unfortunately.

As you mentioned, the glenoid labrum is important for shoulder stability and the reason for that is that its where your glenohumeral ligaments (there are 3) originate from. Any muscle or ligament has to have at least 2 attachments to have a proper effect (bit like how tug of war only works if you have people pulling on both ends). If you're interested, then it'll be the loss of your glenohumeral ligament function (caused by your glenoid labrum problem) that'll be causing your instability.

The glenohumeral ligaments (and all capsular ligaments) are effectively there to hold the top of your arm where it should be when you start moving it about, so if you think about it... doing weights etc increases the forces going through the joint so your ligaments have to work like beavers to to keep the top of your arm where it should be, and that creates your problem. Luckily for you the glenohumeral ligaments arent the only ones doing this job which is why u dont have total instability and probably why your doctors dont think its worth the risk to go in and try and fix it.

You'll probably have to work out what exercises are best for you (go and see a local physio if you really arent sure), but the things that will be causing you the biggest problems are exercises where your shoulder has to work very hard to counter the stress your putting on it - as ultimately if it wasnt equal you arm should theoretically come off

edit to add that thats not to say you should avoid doing weights or stressful exercises. Work within your limits, you'll know yourself when you've pushed it too far but if you work to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder you might find it helps to increase the stability of it