work until you die, now its 75.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's not the 'statuary retirement age' as you've put it, OP but the age that one will receive the state pension. The current retirement age (for personal pensions) is 55 although I also recall that this used to be 50 so it may see a bump as well.

It's a de facto statutory retirement age for those who have made little to no provision for themselves. As @dogmeat mentions up there^, if you've made no provision then it's probably worth blaming your own life decisions. A rise in the age has always been coming.

I have worked alongside a fair few labourers, quite a few of them had a good education, family problems, health problems moved them into it, one used to be an accountant but suffered a nervous breakdown, he was more than content with his lot, in nearly every case they were the go to person on the site, often had more of an idea of what was going on than the overpaid office staff wafting in and out, and were not afraid of hard work, one was a teacher, been violently assaulted in an inner city school, came to us from an Agency and ended up staying, and one of the older ones I knew and called a close friend until he passed away, was from the Emerald isle, had more skill than most on the site, was well read, and had the most cunning ways of getting his own back on people who demeaned him
he got me out of the shit big time. you just cant judge people from the job they perform
although Roofers tend to be up there with scaffolders for being thick in the head and stickiness of fingers

To be honest, the fact it's been released now, to me it stinks of a let's fcuk the Tories up. And smells of coming from the Anti Brexit community within the Home Office and lot of the Press will jump on anything to stuff up Boris's plans.
Sorry Non story. It's a load of BS
Really? According to the story, the idea comes from a think tank (it says “Tory think tank”) founded by Iain Duncan-Smith.

Blogg

LE
OK, but the point I was making. Why has it surfaced now? From someone within, bent on stuffing the Tories and Boris.
Yes, just like the long discredited Project Yellowhammer Project Fear report that has miraculously been accidentally left in a pub by a former Minister. Or some at the end of their Political career if you prefer.

Suspect this has been taken out of context.

Which policy report is it in?

PFGEN

GCM
Pension? Hah, what pension? We're all supposed to die. When the state pension was first introduced most of the plebs were expected to work themselves into the grave anyway with the lucky ones living for up to five years max. A few would live longer but that was just to give the rest if us false hope. That's one of the reasons people received a clock as a retirement gift, its meant to be a constant reminder that its your time to shuffle off. The cynic in me wonders if the government actually wants to improve the NHS. If you're not fit enough to survive it your time is up.

It's not the 'statuary retirement age' as you've put it, OP but the age that one will receive the state pension. The current retirement age (for personal pensions) is 55 although I also recall that this used to be 50 so it may see a bump as well.

It's a de facto statutory retirement age for those who have made little to no provision for themselves. As @dogmeat mentions up there^, if you've made no provision then it's probably worth blaming your own life decisions. A rise in the age has always been coming.

You can retire any time you like. My generations cut off point was 65, now its 67, if you wish to carry on, its your choice, as was pointed out to me, if I work an extra year over 65, I get an Enhanced pension, I lasted 6 months, Now they are thinking of upping it from 67 to 75, that's one hell of a jump. As one poster pointed out, he thinks it all a scam, wind up, a political move to discredit other politicians, it well may be, but from little acorns big fcukups grow. You should never, under any circumstances, put ideas into the heads of politicians, they have a habit of turning it into a 3 ring circus.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

Not everybody can spare the money to pay into a private pension, and to be honest many of them have been a rip off with management fess etc
I have two, but I wont be banking on them
however the directors at my old firm did very well, so if Times get hard I am going to follow Charles Peace career choice

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
After 41 years on-site, + 9 years in the mob, as a tradesman, I never met one builder's labourer over about 55.
Mmmmmm.

Amongst other things, I've owned a successful medium-sized business, I have a good education behind me, I'm travelled, well-read, quietly spoken and some would say I have a 'posh' accent. I have plenty of cash in the bank and am not too worried about retiring.

I read a quality broadsheet newspaper during my lunch hour and am respected at my place of work. I'm often called on for help and advice on a wide range of subjects.

Despite the brutal physical side, I really enjoy going to work.

I am a builder's labourer.

I am 61.

Not everybody can spare the money to pay into a private pension, and to be honest many of them have been a rip off with management fess etc
I have two, but I wont be banking on them
however the directors at my old firm did very well, so if Times get hard I am going to follow Charles Peace career choice

He was hanged at Armley prison,....are you sure its the carrer path you really want? ever thought about a carrer in the building trade, pays good, lots of fresh air, especially in winter.....on second thoughts, NO!

Mmmmmm.

Amongst other things, I've owned a successful medium-sized business, I have a good education behind me, I'm travelled, well-read, quietly spoken and some would say I have a 'posh' accent. I have plenty of cash in the bank and am not too worried about retiring.

I read a quality broadsheet newspaper during my lunch hour and am respected at my place of work. I'm often called on for help and advice on a wide range of subjects.

Despite the brutal physical side, I really enjoy going to work.

I am a builder's labourer.

I am 61.

You sir are the exception to the rule, respect.

endure

GCM
To be honest, the fact it's been released now, to me it stinks of a let's fcuk the Tories up. And smells of coming from the Anti Brexit community within the Home Office and lot of the Press will jump on anything to stuff up Boris's plans.
Sorry Non story. It's a load of BS
Anti Brexit community?

The report was published by an outfit (The Centre for Social Justice) which was started by and is still run by Iain Duncan Smith... ;-)

endure

GCM
Just WTF does that entail? the only social justice that exists is any strategy will enhance the politicians dreams, of a truly totally compliant, malleable and docile working class electorate.

Ask Iain Duncan Smith. That's where the idea of Universal Benefits kicked off.

Ask Iain Duncan Smith. That's where the idea of Universal Benefits kicked off.

well, we all know how that benefited the people that really needed it, another reason for dissolving, parliament, and electing real people, not over educated carrer politicians that have no conception of the real world outside the Westminster fish tank.

Blogg

LE
Right, this is it:

It is a bit more nuanced "than work until you die" but maybe not a lot for many.

Ageing Confidently | Conclusion

"This report is the sixth and final in a series on the Future of Work. In each report the focus has been on expanding the opportunities to work for everyone Removing barriers for older people to remain in work has the potential to contribute greatly to the health of individuals and the affordability of public services.

Therefore, this paper argues for significant improvements in the support for older workers. This includes improved healthcare support, increased access to flexible working, better opportunities for training, an employer-led Mid-Life MOT and the implementation of an ‘Age Confident’ scheme.As we prepare for the future, we must prioritise increasing the opportunity to work for this demographic to reduce involuntary worklessness.

For the vulnerable and marginalised, a job offers the first step away from state dependence, social marginalisation and personal destitution.In addition, provided that this support is in place, we propose an increase in the State Pension Age to 75 by 2035.

While this might seem contrary to a long-standing compassionate attitude to an older generation that have paid their way in the world and deserve to be looked after, we do not believe it should be. Working longer has the potential to improve health and wellbeing, increase retirement savings and ensure the full functioning of public services for all."

anglo

LE
Right, this is it:

It is a bit more nuanced "than work until you die" but maybe not a lot for many.

"This report is the sixth and final in a series on the Future of Work. In each report the focus has been on expanding the opportunities to work for everyone Removing barriers for older people to remain in work has the potential to contribute greatly to the health of individuals and the affordability of public services.

Therefore, this paper argues for significant improvements in the support for older workers. This includes improved healthcare support, increased access to flexible working, better opportunities for training, an employer-led Mid-Life MOT and the implementation of an ‘Age Confident’ scheme.As we prepare for the future, we must prioritise increasing the opportunity to work for this demographic to reduce involuntary worklessness.

For the vulnerable and marginalised, a job offers the first step away from state dependence, social marginalisation and personal destitution.In addition, provided that this support is in place, we propose an increase in the State Pension Age to 75 by 2035.

While this might seem contrary to a long-standing compassionate attitude to an older generation that have paid their way in the world and deserve to be looked after, we do not believe it should be. Working longer has the potential to improve health and wellbeing, increase retirement savings and ensure the full functioning of public services for all."
I'll be 93 then... oh wait I'm retired already:)

The deep thinking ones are seriously thinking of raising the statuary retirement age to 75, fine, if it is enforced right across the board. But think on, at 70 you have to renew your driving licence, and if you fail your medical, that's it, no wheels, so how is a 70-+ construction worker to get to work, with his tools, that's if he is still able to work, what with the onset of arthritis, myopia, rheumatism going deaf, and "where are my bloody car keys" kicks in. same for shop owners, and countless other trades and professions. The twats in the HoC haven't a clue as to how the real world works, outside their elite cosseted little world. A 70+ HGV driver, thundering along, has a stroke, a twinge, a bloody heart attack, see the problem, and the lady's, same scenario, compounded by the medical problems that are unique to older lady's.

HTF is a steel erector at 70 + expected to clamber about on the superstructure of a new build, or a labourer, hump sacks of cement and sundry other building materials on a site in winter, at that age. If you try for a more sedentary job, who is going to employ someone aged 70? It stinks, Now its 60 years paying in to a piss poor pension pot, with no guarantee that you will be alive to receive. it. It F@cking stinks of social engineering, and egotistical muppertry, let the prats in Whitehall work until 75, and the twats in the treasury, as well as the criminals in the square mile, make it mandatory that EVERYONE without fear or favour, right across the board, graft their nuts off until they drop, then its fair, wont happen, never will. they're all cnuts.
Stop voting for the Conservatives then. Not you personally but you as a country.

Right, this is it:

The big barrier for older people working is that there aren't going to be enough jobs to go around for everyone. Ageism is already a problem for older job seekers and as jobs for people become scarcer it will get worse.

There’s always my retirement plan. Go on, you know you want to.

Latest Threads