Work experience in America

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by sparkysapper, Apr 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I have been trying to find out, without much success ( and without paying the 1.20 per minute phone call charge) which visa i need to apply for if i decide to go to Florida, using my 7 weeks resettlement time, for work experience.

    Having looked at the web site i appear to fall into a couple of catagories, it seems the visa waiver program cannot be used as i will be doing unpaid work, however, still being in the Army, do we have a visa scheme which allows me to go to the States on a sort of military exchange visa?

    Has any fellow arrser, been in the same position as me? and if so how did you get on.

  2. If you are going to america to work without being paid, then you do not need any kind of VISA as it you can spend up to 90 days in the states on 'holiday'.

    Have you thought about coming over with a NATO travel order?
  3. Didn't give a NATO travel order any kind of thought, when i checked on the web site of the Us Embassy the visa waiver program that allows you to go to America for 90 days doesn't cover work, either paid or unpaid and as i have to tell the UK Embassy about the resettlement time ( insurance) they apparently inform the UK Embassy in the States and no one is sure if they inform the US Embassy. The last thing i want is to arrive at the airport trying to get through on a Tourist visa and being carted of by some massive homeland security blokes and an interview with some rubber gloves.

  4. I'd go with the NATO Travel Order. This will cover you insurance wise, as your resettlement could be classed as Military work. As for Embassy's 'speaking' to each other, don't hold your breath. Where in FL are you thinking of going? I ask this because, ideally you'll need some kind of Military Camp to blag the homeland security bloke/female. (sometimes hard to differentiate)
  5. I am in the process of getting a firm in the Orlando area to confirm that they will take me on, to learn about property management.
  6. Will the firm 'sponser' you? This is another kind of VISA, but I guess its more suited to a permanent stay.

    Not sure if you've visited this website, but its really useful.
  7. Why not email the mil attache?
  8. I have had a look at the web site but was still a bit mystified as to which visa was the most appropriate, so far i fit into the J catagory, but also may fit into others. LOl

    Thankyou for taking the time to answer though, all info is better than none

  9. Which one and where?

  10. I'm not sure how helpful this will be as I haven't been looking at the US on here but it has been really helpful for all of my visa enquiries.

    It does sound like you may have to give the US embassy in London a ring though, they may know a way around it all for you. Also, it may be useful to ask you Resettlement officer to find out, they get to pay for the phone calls then.
  11. This is the link that you want that explains the various Visa types.

    It may be worth talking to a professional advisor, who can be found on the web. There are quotas for the various types of 'working' visas which tend to fill up by the end of the year. You may find it possible to qualify under a 'training' or other visa types if necessary.

    I have also heard that you can visit under the visa waiver programme, so long as you don't exceed the 90 day limit and are careful about the answers you give the immigration officer.

    If you are able to get a visa, then you will need to get it via your local US Embassy, and there can be a month or so wait for an interview.

    I'm not an expert, but have been through the process.

  12. Just managed to find this gem hidden away on on of their web sites.

    However, many armed forces personnel are exempt from passport and visa requirements if they are either attached to NATO Allied Headquarters in the United States and are traveling on official business, or are entering the United States under NATO Status of Forces Agreement. In the case of the later, they must carry official military ID cards and NATO travel orders.

    Not really sure if it applies.

    I think i might also be eligable for the G1 visa.

  13. Thanks jest and passingbells, useful sites indeed.

  14. Just found another gem of info,

    Traveling on behalf of the U.K. government
    If you are traveling to the United States on behalf of the U.K. government you should have your department submit your application through the Home Office, Official Visa Department, U.K. Passport Services, Globe House, 89 Eccleston Square, London SW1V 1PN; phone number 020 7901 2033/2204. Applicants who are applying for visas to serve at the U.K. Embassy or Consulates in the United States, should apply for visas through the Foreign and Commonwealth office. Members of the military should apply through the Defence Passenger Reservations Centre, Visa Section, 5th Floor, St Georges Court, London WC1A 2SH; phone number 020 7305 4806 or 020 7305 4844/5.

    Yet another catagory i possibly fall into, but at least they have a proper number i can phone.