Wordsearch for kids - Tasteless?

There's an organsiation called kidskonnect that does fact and worksheets for teaching children about various aspects of history. Members can download all these.

What caught my eye was a Falklands War worksheet that was a wordsearch puzzle imposed over the infamous "GOTCHA" The Sun frontpage, where you have to find the ships that sank during the conflict. Am not sure if it is dubious or just tasteless

1594313454091.png

Last edited:
Some of that's just wrong. Atlantic Conveyor was hit on 25th May, they have it as 25th April, "...the first British Ship casualty since WW2." Why would anyone pay for that?

The Gotcha thing caused much outrage, but the numbers killed weren't known at the time. Bad taste then and bad taste now. Kids would have no clue what it refers to.

It's slightly bizarre. The WWII series has a fun word game that encourages the kid to identify concentration camps. There's also a pop quiz on blast wounds and gas gangrene.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
What is a more interesting fact is that HMS Conqueror used Mk 8's not Tigerfish as they were more reliable.

Every ship can be a submarine once.

It also had the effect of withdrawing the rest of the Argentine Navy to port for the rest of the conflict.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Some of that's just wrong. Atlantic Conveyor was hit on 25th May, they have it as 25th April, "...the first British Ship casualty since WW2." Why would anyone pay for that?

The Gotcha thing caused much outrage, but the numbers killed weren't known at the time. Bad taste then and bad taste now. Kids would have no clue what it refers to.
It's slightly bizarre. The WWII series has a fun word game that encourages the kid to identify concentration camps. There's also a pop quiz on blast wounds and gas gangrene.
Please tell me this dubious shite is a spoof...

philc

LE

This was prior to me working at News Int, however at Wapping the front page was framed and on a wall near the newsdesk, however the splash was changed after 1st edition as fatality numbers or good sense was realised.

Nope but it looks like it's aimed at US parents homeschooling primary age kids.

Frankly I wouldn't wipe my arse with the stuff I looked at. Anything that classes Louis Pasteur, vaccination and cells as 'chemistry' and puts rocks and morse code under 'physics' is written by an idiot.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Frankly I wouldn't wipe my arse with the stuff I looked at. Anything that classes Louis Pasteur, vaccination and cells as 'chemistry' and puts rocks and morse code under 'physics' is written by an idiot.
I hope we don't import this worst aspect of American codswallop over here, like we usually do. :-(

And Jesus is when history starts

And Jesus is when history starts
Interestingly, no, there's quite a lot of (poor quality) stuff on ancient empires. The fact that centuars, Hades, Medusa, Loki and vampires are under 'history' does nothing to help my perception this was written by a drooling mentalist who Bugsy would run rings around.

Nothing on evolution under 'biology' though so you can have half marks ;)

Yokel

LE
Utterly tasteless - a wordsearch for the names of lost ships. But HMS Belgrano? Eh?

Aircrafts? Aircrafts carrier?

From the 'About' page:

KidsKonnect was founded back in 1999 by a Chicago-based public school teacher who wanted to create a safe learning environment for kids in the school classroom. From there, KidsKonnect has grown to provide quality worksheet packs for teachers, tutors, and homeschoolers covering thousands of topics in a way that is fun, engaging and accessible for students.

Wait til they release my Blazing Saddles themed word search

It's real... some of the educational tools are certainly imaginative but without a doubt, the Mussolini and Hitler 'spot the difference' game was questionable..

Latest Threads