Words that drive you mad

When septics say 'Durby' instead of Derby :p

A common era defined by the birth of Christ. So it says nothing.
JC was born some time in the reign of Herod, who died in 4 BC, so that invalidates the numbering system. Most theologians reckon he was born around 6 to 4 BC, so our common era starts after the event that gives us the old designation.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
JC was born some time in the reign of Herod, who died in 4 BC, so that invalidates the numbering system. Most theologians reckon he was born around 6 to 4 BC, so our common era starts after the event that gives us the old designation.
Oh I absolutely agree. And as we know, years were once counted as years of the reign of King X. But it's been shown that one or more kings were missed.

But that's the datum point. Why change it for something the exact same but by a different name?

At this point in time - why not just say NOW. Some supposedly welll educated people on TV talk shows start almost every sentence with the word LOOK, and then intersperse their comments with Uh, Um, You know, and similar things, and if the person they are talking to does not know because they are just being told, then why tell them "You Know"

Because if you SHOUT the first word of a statement or question, you'll either intimidate or piss people off.

Scottish fish farms have Salmon gates - is that close enough? Others have (maybe not in Scotland) have Sturgeon gates. Neither fish is slippery enough for the SNP.

Yes - adding 'gate' to any scandal show what a bunch of throbbers they are.
In the odd idle moment, I have often wondered: if the remaining Goodie who is not called Bill was caught up in some form of newsworthy scandal, could the media resist calling said scandal “Garden-gate”?

We are descending into dad joke territory here. Just write them down and tell them to your grandkids.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
That pre supposes JC was actually a real person.
Oh JC was real. He was my RSM and we shared many a dead stag in battlegroup HQ. I attended his funeral a dozen or so years ago.

Oh Jesus Christ? I meant John Christian. Greatest soldier I ever knew. FACT.

That pre supposes JC was actually a real person.
A person called Jesus, probably did. It’s quite common. The Epithet Christ is from the Greek meaning the anointed one. I don’t think we ever get to find out what the family name is, such as it is in those days. Entire life times are wasted by biblical scholars trying to define the undefinable.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
A person called Jesus, probably did. It’s quite common. The Epithet Christ is from the Greek meaning the anointed one. I don’t think we ever get to find out what the family name is, such as it is in those days. Entire life times are wasted by biblical scholars trying to define the undefinable.
O'Arimathea I think, after his father, n'est-ce pas? Or a meringue?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
CENSUS!!

Latest Threads