Words that drive you mad

Yokel

LE
Or 'irregardless'?

E2A: or 'incidences'?

The first one is annoying as it makes no sense. Is the 'I' meaningless as it just added for no reason, or is 'irregardless' used - actually what would you use it for?

As for 'incidences' - do you misunderestimate the number of people who get words a bit wrong? Mixing 'occurrences' and 'incidents' perhaps?

Can we blame the schools?

Last edited:
The first one is annoying as it makes no sense. Is the 'I' meaningless as it just added for no reason, or is 'irregardless' used - actually what would you use it for?

As for 'incidences' - do you misunderestimate the number of people who get words a bit wrong? Mixing 'occurrences' and 'incidents' perhaps?

Agreed on the first word. Perhaps it is an Australian Army peculiarity.

On the second, it is confusing (or merging) 'incidents' and 'incidence'.

I certainly blame the schools, just not the one at which my daughter teaches. Actually, on reflection, I also blame the individuals who don't continue to learn after leaving school.

That would be traditional; blame the 3 lessons of English a week. Never mind the hundreds of hours of Social Media, woke TV announcers and the occasional interaction with illiterate parents, especially that chief of f*ckwits, Chester Draws.

A recent trend on the site for those who apparently believe they are so superior to most mere mortals, to simply conribute, 'This'.

This:

The Jab, been jabbed, waiting for the jab, etc

It's a ******* vaccine FFS. How old does the MSM think we are?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
"Barn Find", which is bollocks 99.999% of the time, now contracted to "barnfind"

"Heart-wrenching." No. Just. No. The terms are "heart-rending" or "gut-wrenching"

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I believe in Mancunistan the term is 'Dibbles'. Or was. I don't keep up with it all; what was is good enough for me..

' Busies ' ?

1. Does it? Without tenses it would be hard to tell the difference between past, current, and future events?

2. One was shot, and fifteen were hanged - plus another one was tried and executed in Gibraltar.

3. The MI5 run Double Cross scheme was incredibly successful, with captured spies who were not committed Nazis feeding Germany all sorts of false information.
Ich HABE ein [ was wollein Sie ]
Ich HAT ein Kamerad....

and re using an adjective as a verb.....I genuinely heard a young lad say this the other afternoon:

'Yeah....taking forever.....I reckon they're deliberately LONG-ING the job aht, get more money innit ? '

As in: 'Mate, this job isn't gonna be long enough......let's LONG it out till tea-break.....'

Last edited:

Chef

LE
The addition of 'Gate' to almost any situation especially where the press is involved. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a 'Salmondgate' yet.

Yokel

LE
The addition of 'Gate' to almost any situation especially where the press is involved. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a 'Salmondgate' yet.

Scottish fish farms have Salmon gates - is that close enough? Others have (maybe not in Scotland) have Sturgeon gates. Neither fish is slippery enough for the SNP.

Yes - adding 'gate' to any scandal show what a bunch of throbbers they are.

spoolerdog

Old-Salt
Haven't had a chance to read through all the messages on this thread but the one that annoys me is the term "BCE" instead of BC. That annoying twat on University Challenge says it all the time - dick!! Also same dick's pronunciation of words and his constant smugness when he corrects the contestants on how they pronounce the same word. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Haven't had a chance to read through all the messages on this thread but the one that annoys me is the term "BCE" instead of BC. That annoying twat on University Challenge says it all the time - dick!! Also same dick's pronunciation of words and his constant smugness when he corrects the contestants on how they pronounce the same word. ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
BC = Before Christ, which is not always applicable to a diverse audience. BCE = Before Common Era is. CE replaces AD likewise.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
BC = Before Christ, which is not always applicable to a diverse audience. BCE = Before Common Era is. CE replaces AD likewise.

How innovative and exciting but I think I'll stick to BC and AD.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
A common era defined by the birth of Christ. So it says nothing.

Chef

LE
All well and good as long as those who are offended by 'BC' and 'AD' use their own year identifiers and keep away from stuff like '2021'. As in 2021 years after the birth of Christ.

I hate this sort of casual cultural appropriation.

Last edited:
'Bear with . . .'

In my experience, usually uttered by a 40-something over-foundationed Senior Receptionist who only holds the post because the HR Director fondly remembers when she could get her ankles behind her head.

...and has watched the "Miranda" series.